Author Topic: TPMS sensor availability  (Read 8435 times)

Offline Rexter

TPMS sensor availability
« on: October 31, 2016, 06:59:29 PM »
So I'm getting ---- for the front end. Sensor 21176-0125 is called for the front for '08-'13 but is no longer available and I can't find a superseded number.

Sensor 21176-0748 is for '14-'16.

Is it backwards compatible?

Has anyone ordered one from a Chinese supplier? I can find them as low as $36 shipped. I may try one for chits and giggles.

Offline jwh20

Re: TPMS sensor availability
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 08:17:22 PM »
Just replace the battery.  Much less expensive.  But yes, the TPMS for the newer C14's is the replacement.  Remember that in addition to the cost of the new unit you must have the dealer program new the sensor's ID into your bike for it to work.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 09:09:48 PM »
So I'm getting ---- for the front end. Sensor 21176-0125 is called for the front for '08-'13 but is no longer available and I can't find a superseded number.

Sensor 21176-0748 is for '14-'16.

Is it backwards compatible?

Yes.  It is not a sensor for '14-'16, it is a sensor for '08-'17 that came out in '14.  The difference between the two?  The new one is potted, so replacing the battery in it will be extremely difficult, but it is also supposed to last a lot longer.  The former is fact, the latter hasn't quite been proven yet (because it hasn't been enough time yet).

If it is replaced under warranty, they will replace it with the current part (the potted one) and you can't keep the old one.  If you don't  have a warranty still, and it is the older model, then you will save a lot of money by replacing the battery in the existing sensor.  It isn't that difficult (except for GETTING TO THE SENSOR).  Other threads cover it...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 06:22:14 AM »
What year bike, Rex?  Ok, did some detective work and you have an 08.  If it's the original sensor, then  you can change the battery in it.  If it's been changed within the last couple of years then you may have a newer one that isn't really battery changeable.   I suspect, however it may have the original ones.  It's easy enough to change the battery.  I did both of mine and they're working fine now.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline jwh20

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 06:54:59 AM »
How to tell from the OUTSIDE:

The one in hand is the OLD STYLE and has an easily changed battery.  If you can use a soldering iron you can do it yourself for under $5 and 10-15 minutes.

The one in the wheel is the NEW STYLE.  These are potted and you cannot get the battery out.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 10:09:23 AM »
Excellent!   :goodpost: :thumbs:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rexter

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 12:12:28 PM »
I guess I should have been a little more direct. The main question is this...has anyone tried the sensors that come out of commie land ? Pictures are usually worth a thousand words, and the pics posted have the Kaw numbers shown on a sticker on the sensor, but that doesn't mean squat . If the commie sensors work, then I'll get one and have a sensor on standby should a battery take a dump on an installed sensor. That way, I don't have to fool with replacing the battery right then  to go ride. Believe it or not, I did read a ton of posts on multiple threads. I think I read too much.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 01:40:58 PM »
The original sensors, I believe, are French.  Not sure about the new ones.  As far as getting non-Kwackers sensors, I don't recall anyone doing that.  Do you have a link to the ones you're talking about?  If you get new, they have to be registered through the Kwackers KDS tool.  It has to understand them.  If not, you've wasted your money.

Offline jwh20

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2016, 01:43:05 PM »
I guess I should have been a little more direct. The main question is this...has anyone tried the sensors that come out of commie land ? Pictures are usually worth a thousand words, and the pics posted have the Kaw numbers shown on a sticker on the sensor, but that doesn't mean squat . If the commie sensors work, then I'll get one and have a sensor on standby should a battery take a dump on an installed sensor. That way, I don't have to fool with replacing the battery right then  to go ride. Believe it or not, I did read a ton of posts on multiple threads. I think I read too much.

I have yet to hear of anyone having success with these.  While they may operate on the same frequency (330 MHz) the protocol seems to be different.  As far as I know, the C14 TPMS sensors are specific to the C14 and nothing else.  But you can certainly give them a try.  But it will have to have an ID and someone with a KDS3 unit will need to program that ID into your bike.  The ones I have seen do not have an ID, so there is no way to get the bike to recognize them.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2016, 01:54:07 PM »
I think we're 315Mhz...

Offline Rexter

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2016, 01:55:37 PM »
 :thumbs:

That answers my question. I still may get one just for the heck of it.

Offline Rexter

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2016, 01:57:04 PM »

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2016, 03:24:10 PM »
Hey, it's worth a shot for that price assuming you can get it registered.

Offline Kwikasfuki

• Uk GTR Forum
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2016, 04:37:20 AM »
There's loads of the sensors on AliExpress. They even state that they are 315Mhz

I just recently used AliExpress for the first time to purchase a logic board for my ageing and broken iPod Video. Couldn't fault the retailer - they even sent me a video of the replacement circuit board working before sending it.

If I needed TPS sensors I would most likely take a punt at these.

Edit: some of the listings don't have a code

Be attention before you buy this item

ID code need decoding at yourside, here we do not have ID code thanks for your understanding

I've found one listing with pics. Anyone know if one of the labels has the code?

Offline jwh20

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2016, 05:47:03 AM »
I've found one listing with pics. Anyone know if one of the labels has the code?

Here is a link to the KDS3 Instruction Manual.  See page 22 for the TPMS programming function.  Note the ID is an 8 HEXADECIMAL CHARACTER string.  So you will need that when attempting to program the new sensor into the bike.

I didn't see a likely candidate on the item you referred to.

http://www.militaryatvparts.com/service_manuals/99929-0442-KDS%20Ver.3%20Instruction%20Manual-EN.pdf