Author Topic: 14 Feb 2018 FL school shooting  (Read 39815 times)

Offline sanmo

• Arena
Re: 14 Feb 2018 FL school shooting
« Reply #120 on: February 26, 2018, 06:19:00 PM »
For many of us this side of the pond the word "Armalite" is synonymous with the Provisional IRA as many AR15s & AR18s were purchased (legally I believe) in the US with funds provided by Irish American Republicans before being smuggled in (illegally) to Northern Ireland on ships such as the QE2.

A little more than scary looking, the AR18 was particularly liked by them for it's stopping power and indeed became known as "The WidowMaker" over here.

Footnote. Am aware that this was not the PIRAs sole source of arms as they got a shedload of them(plush cash) from amongst others the Libyans)

So how did they control the IRA problem? Just shut off the financing spigot from American sympathizers?
2008 Silverdammit C14

Offline zrx mitch

« Reply #121 on: February 26, 2018, 06:21:48 PM »
Just to be clear, this near equivalency of a 9mm handgun with a 17 round magazine and a couple of extra magazines to a semi-automatic rifle with a 50 round magazine can be achieved by a 19 y.o. punk with an addled mind and probably shitting his pants during the mayhem? We are not talking about a Navy SEAL here, right?

Pull the trigger = bang. 50 times to fire 50 rounds, does it matter if it the 9mm with 3 magazines or the 50 round magazine in the other gun? One will not fire any faster than the other.
IBA #18591

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #122 on: February 26, 2018, 06:45:01 PM »
Just to be clear, this near equivalency of a 9mm handgun with a 17 round magazine and a couple of extra magazines to a semi-automatic rifle with a 50 round magazine can be achieved by a 19 y.o. punk with an addled mind and probably shitting his pants during the mayhem?

Well, I can't speak to the actual 19 year old psycho's ability, but they are both semi-automatic, will both fire at the same rate, and used with indoor distances, a 9mm with defense ammo is more than sufficient to create similar devastation.  It is also lighter, and much easier to conceal than a rifle.

We are not talking about a Navy SEAL here, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJhXpukUV_Y  ( 0.51 seconds)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boc7SNTFz04  (a little more realistic)

It isn't difficult to change a mag: push the button and it falls out, slap in the new one, and pull/release the slide to chamber the next round.  Of course, the more practice the better, but after a few dozen times, I am guessing most people could manage 2 to 3 seconds, no problem.   Of course, having a larger mag capacity is better, but it is not a huge factor.

Oh, here is a 32 round mag for an M&P 9mm handgun, only $25:
https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/promag-smith-and-wesson-m-and-p-9-magazine-9mm-luger-32-rounds-zytel-floorplate-blued-steel-smi-a14-708279011641.do  (crazy long)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #123 on: February 26, 2018, 06:45:29 PM »
So how did they control the IRA problem? Just shut off the financing spigot from American sympathizers?

Switched to 401Ks.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #124 on: February 26, 2018, 07:55:30 PM »
For whatever it is worth, you folks do know you are being trolled with '50, 60' round magazines, right?

;) ::)

Brian

Pull the trigger = bang. 50 times to fire 50 rounds, does it matter if it the 9mm with 3 magazines or the 50 round magazine in the other gun? One will not fire any faster than the other.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #125 on: February 26, 2018, 09:58:11 PM »
For whatever it is worth, you folks do know you are being trolled with '50, 60' round magazines, right?

The AR-15 is issued with a 5, 10, 15, 20, or 30 round magazine.  To my knowledge, 30 is the largest legally sold or can be posessed magazine ANYWHERE in the USA.  If you live in the ridiculous states of CA, NY, MD, MA, and CT a few others, it is 10.  NJ and CO, it is 15.

So, yeah, 'sup with this "50-60 round magazine" stuff, Sanmo??
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #126 on: February 26, 2018, 10:27:43 PM »
Wanders off with his Bren LMG ;)

Brian
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #127 on: February 26, 2018, 10:40:45 PM »
The AR-15 is issued with a 5, 10, 15, 20, or 30 round magazine.  To my knowledge, 30 is the largest legally sold or can be posessed magazine ANYWHERE in the USA.  If you live in the ridiculous states of CA, NY, MD, MA, and CT a few others, it is 10.  NJ and CO, it is 15.

That was enlightening.

you're both sort of right from what I can see reading/researching various links

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=maximum+magazine+capacity+usa&oq=maximum+magazine+capacity+usa&aqs=chrome..69i57.11146j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

It appears (this is my summary )  that there was a Federal Law banning high capacity magazines , generally taken as 10+ (unless you already owned them before the ban came in in which case it was still legal to own) however that Act had a sunset clause and wasn't renewed.

Some states then passed their own laws however it looks like certainly CA as of late 2017 had their ban blocked by a Federal Judge.
--

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #128 on: February 26, 2018, 10:42:08 PM »

I refer my esteemed friend to  the footnote of my original quoted post

" Am aware that this was not the PIRAs sole source of arms"
--

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #129 on: February 27, 2018, 04:09:26 AM »
maybe he was thinking of one of these...

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #130 on: February 27, 2018, 04:34:50 AM »

I don't know if that had anything to with it or not but from what I've read, they (IRA) lost the will to fight.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #131 on: February 27, 2018, 04:50:10 AM »
I don't know if that had anything to with it or not but from what I've read, they (IRA) lost the will to fight.

It could be read that way although the whole Northern Ireland Peace Process was fairly complex although the final nail was a joint ultimatum from both the UK & ROI goverments

You also have to remember there was more than one variation of the IRA (and also the Unionists were in many cases just as bad)
--

Offline sanmo

• Arena
« Reply #132 on: February 27, 2018, 05:57:14 AM »

Regret the Rambo Theatre production of "AR-15 w/high cap magazines vs. 9mm handgun w/17 or 32 rounds" was rudely interrupted by our (racist?) friend. I will try to locate the report which indicated the use 0f 50, 60 and 100 round magaznies for the AR-15.
In the meantime, unless this website is a spoof: https://www.brownells.com/magazines/rifle-magazines/magazines/ar-15-60rd-magazine-223-5-56-prod42026.aspx
2008 Silverdammit C14

Offline sanmo

• Arena
« Reply #133 on: February 27, 2018, 06:02:16 AM »
I refer my esteemed friend to  the footnote of my original quoted post

" Am aware that this was not the PIRAs sole source of arms"

Your esteemed friend was just being lazy and looking for the cliff's notes on how the IRA problem was resolved. :)
From your post, I gather the American financing was important but not critical for sustaining the insurgency.
More reading assignments for your esteemed friend. sigh.................
2008 Silverdammit C14

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #134 on: February 27, 2018, 06:34:30 AM »
sanmo...which of the following statements do you find most applicable..

A stranger is an enemy until proven to b a friend.

A stranger is a friend until proven to be an enemy.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #135 on: February 27, 2018, 07:03:34 AM »
Standard issue US military magazines are 30 round. Different AR's are sold with different magazines, often MAGPUL plastic magazines of 20 round capacity.

As you pointed out, magazines are available in many different capacities. But the 30 round is most common, by far.

At this time, there is no US federal limit on magazine size anyone can possess or use.

There are also 'oddball' magazines, often rotary, that can and do have much more capacity. But I do not know of any '50' round magazines and I do not believe there are any '60's either. That said, I am not aware of ANY nefarious uses of any AR with the 'oddball' magazines, all that I have see from photographs have been the ubiquitous 30 round, metal, <probably> standard issue magazines.

Our associate (in this conversation) is simply throwing numbers out in his ignorance, believing accuracy not important so '50' and '60' sounds better as a 'sound- bite' than 20 or 30. My point was that there is absolutely no reason to engage him / her on this topic and start doing math with other firearms magazines nor compare what other firearm magazines may hold, how long it takes to change them and so forth. Put simply, this gentleperson is throwing out snippets he / she has picked up from [often also badly informed] news outlets, and he / she is no longer discussing anything, merely taking potshots (pun intended).

But, as always, it IS a free country and all are of course free to go down any verbal path, the gentleperson specified also of course. Carry on.

I do believe the original topic was the tragic high school shooting in Florida on 14 Feb. 2018

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline sanmo

• Arena
« Reply #136 on: February 27, 2018, 07:15:16 AM »
sanmo...which of the following statements do you find most applicable..

A stranger is an enemy until proven to b a friend.

A stranger is a friend until proven to be an enemy.

Statement 2 for sure. You have to be in the first category to advocate concealed carry or open carry of guns. I'm assuming this psych profile is related to the gun debate.
2008 Silverdammit C14

Offline sanmo

• Arena
« Reply #137 on: February 27, 2018, 07:20:39 AM »
Standard issue US military magazines are 30 round. Different AR's are sold with different magazines, often MAGPUL plastic magazines of 20 round capacity.

blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, 1000x.....
Brian

:rotflmao:
2008 Silverdammit C14

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #138 on: February 27, 2018, 07:25:06 AM »
I see the Deputy on duty has broken his silence

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43202800

I do believe the original topic was the tragic high school shooting in Florida on 14 Feb. 2018

Brian
--

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #139 on: February 27, 2018, 07:28:11 AM »
Some interesting alternatives that I haven't seen discussed here such as "not naming the shooter" and "having 2 doors in every classroom"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-43118865
--