Author Topic: "no transponder" code and red light on ...... Help anyone!?  (Read 15082 times)

Offline CMH GUY

Hey guys/gals, I have had this 2008 since just before winter last yr ..... So this will be the first full yr ..  Well I've had a couple months of riding and 1000+ so far, with no problems ...  Except for today..  I headed out for a ride, started no problem and no Code or red light...  2 blocks away the No Transponder code and red light come on ...  I figured the bike was still running so I continued to the gas station at least ..(2 blocks away) shut bike off, filled up..  started no problems, no code, no red light.. And then a few minutes down the road the code and light came on again ...  I pulled over, shut it off and it started right up again...  The battery in the FOB is NEW..  So I ruled that out ..  Suggestions ??  Fixes??  HELP!!   PLEASE ..   :)

Thanks !
Canal Winchester, Ohio

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: "no transponder" code and red light on ...... Help anyone!?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 08:46:32 PM »
Gals??  Nah!

Anyway, it sounds like you were having interference problems.  This can be caused by a variety of add-ons you might have added to your bike and also exactly where you are carrying the fob...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline CMH GUY

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 10:06:18 PM »
FOB is right there next to the main key..
Canal Winchester, Ohio

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 01:05:27 AM »

Try keeping it closer to the seat.  That's where the transceiver is located that communicates with it.  If you have it up near the stove knob (not sure how you would do that), the tank is in the way, and any electrical noise from the bike can interfere with it.  Sounds like the same problem as keeping it in the glove box on the 2010+ models.

For the record, I've had that happen a few times with mine, even though the FOB is in my pants pocket.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 04:07:18 AM »
So let me get this straight.  You're advocating inserting said fob in an orifice not designed to store fobs or am I totally off base here?   :o :rotflmao:   Sorry guv'ner I couldn't keep a straight face reading that comment.

Seriously folks.....I carry mine in my right jeans pocket and never had an issue with that message.

To the OP, are you saying the fob is in the glove box?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 05:33:11 AM »

?

The Fob was designed to be carried on your person- in your pants pocket or jacket chest/side pocket.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline chap

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 08:25:24 AM »
What have you recently added to the bike. I had this same problem a few weeks ago. It was the LED driving light controller causing it. Could also be HID lights. Check the Transponder Battery (new battery doesn't mean good battery). Should be 3.2v or better, under 3.0v replace. My new one was 2.9v new out of the box.
2010 Concours ABS = Blue
2003 Concours - Red (sold)

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 08:59:04 AM »
Solar flares.....
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline CMH GUY

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 09:26:08 AM »
I did add HID's as well as riding lights on the front forks ...  and I carry the fob in the little glove box on the tank..  I will try it in my pocket and see if that changes ....  I will also put another new battery in the FOB and see ...  Thanks guys!!!  RESULTS TO FOLLOW! 
Canal Winchester, Ohio

Offline CMH GUY

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 09:27:53 AM »
What have you recently added to the bike. I had this same problem a few weeks ago. It was the LED driving light controller causing it. Could also be HID lights. Check the Transponder Battery (new battery doesn't mean good battery). Should be 3.2v or better, under 3.0v replace. My new one was 2.9v new out of the box.

if it is the HID is there a way around this transponder code problem??  besides taking off the HID's..
Canal Winchester, Ohio

Offline ljcorby

• COG#: 9359
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2013, 09:42:30 AM »
if it is the HID is there a way around this transponder code problem??  besides taking off the HID's..

Yup...put the fob in your pants pocket....you shouldn't have any further issues.  ;)
10 Kawi Concours 14 ABS

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013, 09:51:58 AM »
and treat the FOB right when its not in use.

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2013, 10:42:07 AM »
Fobs.... orifices..... NOT funny guys!

But I can attest to what Jim says: I have never had an issue with that message on Jim's bike either so it must be working.

As others have said, carry it on your person and the problem will almost certainly go away. The fob is trying to communicate with the KiPass transceiver through the fuel tank- not good. Some carry the fob in a pants pocket, some in a riding jacket pocket, and some carry it on a band they were around their necks (like a visitor's pass to a nuclear plant). Putting the fob on the bike is generally a bad idea for the reason you have found but it also defeats the security purpose of KiPass.

Brian

So let me get this straight.  You're advocating inserting said fob in an orifice not designed to store fobs or am I totally off base here?   :o :rotflmao:   Sorry guv'ner I couldn't keep a straight face reading that comment.

Seriously folks.....I carry mine in my right jeans pocket and never had an issue with that message.

To the OP, are you saying the fob is in the glove box?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline chap

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2013, 10:46:17 AM »
I did add HID's as well as riding lights on the front forks ...  and I carry the fob in the little glove box on the tank..  I will try it in my pocket and see if that changes ....  I will also put another new battery in the FOB and see ...  Thanks guys!!!  RESULTS TO FOLLOW! 

On a different subject. how are your Lights mounted on the Forks. Are they mounted to  the reflector brackets. Some folks on here have had the brackets break with the stress of vibration.

There was a thread last week on the subjuct of HID Lights. Someone suggested a method of RF insulating the Ballast and wires etc.
2010 Concours ABS = Blue
2003 Concours - Red (sold)

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2013, 11:15:52 AM »

Wow, it's scary to see how your mind works.  :yikes:  I would never advocate that, unless you put the FOB in a zip lock bag first.  After all, no one wants a smelly FOB!  ;)
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline mntbiker-junkie

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2013, 11:33:40 AM »
I recently replaced the batteries in both Fobs and ended up getting a low transponder battery warning with one of them.  It took it apart, added some more pre-load to the contacts (bent them outward to increase the spring force) and the low battery warning went away. A bit different issue but it could be related to when you replaced the battery and you might possibly be getting poor battery contact

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2013, 11:51:53 AM »
What if he brushes his teeth first? Oh wait, weren't you talking about him putting it in his mouth?

Brian

Wow, it's scary to see how your mind works.  :yikes:  I would never advocate that, unless you put the FOB in a zip lock bag first.  After all, no one wants a smelly FOB!  ;)
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2013, 03:41:54 PM »
Yup...put the fob in your pants pocket....you shouldn't have any further issues.  ;)

Indeed.  I will repeat:

"The Fob was designed to be carried on your person- in your pants pocket or jacket chest/side pocket."

That is where the antenna is designed to "look".

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2013, 05:50:54 PM »
Sparky said the best place bar none is on a janitor key reel........just sayin.

2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2013, 05:53:29 PM »
Wow, it's scary to see how your mind works.  :yikes:   

Oh, you don't know the half of it...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.