Author Topic: I rode in 114 degree heat  (Read 9234 times)

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
Re: I rode in 114 degree heat
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2016, 08:55:41 AM »
Here in Phoenix, we average nearly 170 days per year over 90 and over 100 of those are over 100.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2016, 09:12:36 AM »
When I lived in CO I would ride all winter as long as the roads were dry. Now that I live in Texas, I ride all summer. I've ridden a lot of miles at both ends of the temp spectrum and I can say I'd rather ride in 112 then 7. According the the temp on the C14, I've done both.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2016, 05:09:30 PM »
+++++1
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2016, 11:32:45 AM »
Go buy an  LD long sleeve T- shirt - not the short sleeve (call them and ask for advice on how to ride in hot weather- see post below )
stop every 200 miles to re-soak the shirt. It will take 4 bottles of water to soak the shirt (yes it can hold that much water) and make sure you have a jacket with very little venting (not mesh) so you can keep that cool air (created from evaporation) next your body. The shirt will be dry by 200 miles. Stop and re- soak the shirt (4 more bottles).   
http://ldcomfort.com/dryline-long-sleeve-turtleneck-top.html

Read:  http://ldcomfort.com/Frequently-Asked-Questions.html

I did some experimenting on a recent trip in the mid to upper 90s.  First , using an LD long sleeve mock zipper top shirt soaked in water under a mesh jacket is cool for almost two hours. The technique that their website says to use (wetting only the sleeves and letting air in the cuffs) doesn't work for me on my C14 because I just do not get any (enough) air pressure on my cuffs. I was using shorty gloves and I even tried those Ventz thingies using an outer shell over the mesh as recommended. (I was using a Tourmaster Jacket and since the armor is in the mesh portion, I was unable {un-willing} to use just the outer shell without the mesh underneath.) Nadda... no air there. Opened the shoulder vents on the outer shell and plenty of air. The Ventz things have promise on other bikes but for me there just wasn't enough air flow on the C14 around the cuffs. Even with the clip on the Ventz and the little bumps on the underside of the clip, I lost one of the Ventz while less than 10 miles from home. I'm thinking of experimenting with the one I have left as a leg vent. It would be nice to put a leg out on the hwy pegs and have a vent in the wind where I don't have to worry about a wasp flying up into my pants. Regardless, in my opinion a better attachment method is needed for the Ventz. In the end I went back to using my Veskimo vest and a 28qt. ice chest pump system for the rest of trip.
My opinion of the LD shirt is mixed. It does hold a lot of water, maybe not as much as an evap vest, but it lets more air through than an evap vest so it works at least as good if not better. It doesn't stink until about the 5th day of usage. It is comfortable to the skin. It can be hard to soak with water as the water wants to just run off of it, so I had to cup my hand against the garment to get the water to soak in. This may change after a few washings. If you know you are in for a long hot day and you aren't going to wet down the shirt much, then I don't think the LD shirt is  better than the thinner and much cheaper Heat-Out shirts available at Cycle Gear. If you are going to stop and soak the shirt with lots of water, and or going to be changing altitude several times during the day's ride with the corresponding temperature changes..then the LD shirt is the better bet for all day comfort. The LD shorts were very comfortable. and they too seemed to be good for 5 days before needing some Woolite sink action. During this trip the highest temperature was 99 and I never did try totally wetting the LD shirt under a shell with only the shoulder vents open as I had moved on back to the Veskimo. Next time I'll try that to see how long it will last, I'm sure that would be the way to do it in the 100s as the LD shirt under only the mesh would probably dry out too quickly at those temps.
 A lot of typing just to say that I don't think for cooling purposes, that the C14 has enough air pressure around the grips to allow sufficient airflow up the sleeves. I'm on a 2010 C14 with a 2015 windshield normally (in this case) with the vent fully open and windshield in lowest position. I'd be interested in hearing what others think about the airflow around the grips on their bikes for cooling purposes.