Author Topic: Oil leak air box drain  (Read 4346 times)

Offline Somerset

Oil leak air box drain
« on: March 26, 2012, 08:44:07 PM »
I have a fair amount of motor oil leaking from the air box drain tube, any ideas.
1997 C10
Thank's  AndrĂ©

Offline Mettler1

Re: Oil leak air box drain
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 09:30:23 PM »
  The air box has an elbow on the bottom that goes between the airbox and the engine case. This tube is a breather tube from the engine case TO the airbox. If oil is getting into the airbox chances are too much oil was added at the last oil change.
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline Somerset

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 07:51:54 PM »
I will recheck the level , but before my last ride the level was in the middle of the sight glass.

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 10:56:27 PM »
I have the same problem, that hose is always filthy grungy coated with oil and what ever else will stick to it, I check oil often and it's always slightly above half glass just where i put it on last oil change. That elbow is also slimy with with oil, i keep wondering if the elbow came loose but i can't see it good enough to tell if its loose.

any suggestions? :-\

1986 California Connie 87k and counting

Offline Somerset

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 07:17:17 PM »
Found the problem , leaky gas tank valve, gas going in the oil, caught it in time no major problems just and oil change and repair the valve.

Thank's

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 07:56:50 PM »
How does a leaky gas tank valve/petcock get gas in the oil? it doesn't from what i know, it could mix with any oil caked up on the outside of the engine but not the inside.

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 08:41:47 PM »
  From leaky petcock to carbs, past the float needles ,into the cyls, past the rings into the crankcase. Maybe I'm wrong but this has HYDROLOCK written all over it. I hope not because you might kiss the engine goodbye.
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 10:33:29 PM »
  From leaky petcock to carbs, past the float needles ,into the cyls, past the rings into the crankcase. Maybe I'm wrong but this has HYDROLOCK written all over it. I hope not because you might kiss the engine goodbye.

oops your right, i was thinking about the leak coming from the outside of the petcock like my old one did when ever i would turn the valve gas would get on my fingers, i replaced it right away.
i should have had a cup of coffee before posting' now i think i will just have a beer  :chugbeer:

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 08:00:27 AM »
  My opinion on petcocks is put it on RUN and never ever touch it again!!! Well,I did use reserve once or twice in 18 yrs. Changed it last week 'cause it seemed like a good idea. :-\

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 09:51:25 AM »
I do the same but leave it on reserve.

My opinion on petcocks is put it on RUN and never ever touch it again!!! Well,I did use reserve once or twice in 18 yrs. Changed it last week 'cause it seemed like a good idea. :-\
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2012, 02:05:33 PM »
I run mine to reserve before I add gas every time.  This for me is once every week or two depending on weather.
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645