Author Topic: Cracked frame at shock  (Read 26614 times)

Offline Dreedo

Cracked frame at shock
« on: September 19, 2018, 08:20:37 PM »
New to using a forum. Had trouble with my center stand so tonight looked to see if there is an adjustment and found the aluminum frame is cracked on both sides. Bike has 4400 miles and the bike only had 200 miles on it when I bought it. Never been hit or hit anything with it. This appears to be the major part of the frame. Any advise or has anyone else ever had this happen?

Offline Tree

• 21 Year Submarine Veteran - GO NAVY!
Re: Cracked frame at shock
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 08:31:59 PM »
Never seen this before...   someone on the forum may have.  Stay tuned.

***OPINION ALERT***

One way this could happen is if this bike was transported on a truck/trailer while resting on the center stand.  It may have been strapped down real good but there is no protection for the stand.  I've heard it suggested as a method of transport but all of the weight of the bike crushes down with every bump.  Better to keep it on the tires/shocks with it resting on the kick stand.  IMO.

*** END OPINION***

Offline Dreedo

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 08:36:52 PM »
Thanks for the advice but the bike has only been on a trailer once fully resting on the wheels. Good to know though.

Offline Tree

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 08:38:46 PM »
Thanks for the advice but the bike has only been on a trailer once fully resting on the wheels. Good to know though.

Yep.  I generally pop into a post, offer some stupid opinion, and then disappear back into the cave.  Good luck getting her squared away.

Offline Freddy

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 11:12:28 PM »
Take it back to the dealer - like all of us, they will say: 'never heard of it.'
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 11:38:08 PM »
Welcome!

Definitely a first I have ever seen/heard (and I have seen/heard a lot).  Back to the dealer to let them inspect, ASAP.  That is far more than a crack, a whole section is completely missing!  Is it like that on the other side too??  I would NOT ride it in that condition, myself (if I could avoid it).  It looks severely compromised and unsafe.  The entire load of the rear suspension goes through that section of frame.

You bought it as "new" or "used"?  From a Kawasaki dealer?  Please always post the year of the bike.  Best to add it to your signature or avatar.  And please let us know what happens with this saga.  Best of luck.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 04:15:20 AM »
Never seen that one.   I have heard of stress cracks in MC frames but this looks like it took a severe hit.  What year is the bike?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Dreedo

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2018, 06:01:00 AM »
The bike is a 2013 model. Bought it with 200 miles on it as a consignment from Plano Kawasaki. The other side isn't missing a piece but does have an open crack. Thanks for the input. Going on the trailer today to the dealership.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2018, 07:22:48 AM »
Looks like the break started at the heat effected zone of the weld.
So it's possible it was bad welds?
Good luck.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2018, 09:00:23 AM »
Can you paint over it? Sorry. Good luck and I dont think I would ride it either.
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline MtnRider

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2018, 09:10:28 AM »
Is there evidence of an impact on the front of the lower frame section (in front of the suspension links)? You said consignment sale so wondering if a PO might have ran into something pretty hard that initiated a crack in those areas. Then decided to get rid of his "problem". Over the time you've put 4200 miles on it the cracks could have propagated to the point they are now.

Leo
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 11:31:52 AM by MtnRider »

Offline PH14

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2018, 10:59:33 AM »
A little JB Weld maybe?

Seriously, I hope you get this worked out. I have never seen anything like that.

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2018, 03:22:21 PM »
Good thing you had trouble with the center stand.
Keep us abreast (easy boys) of the progress.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2018, 03:54:03 PM »
Never seen that one.   I have heard of stress cracks in MC frames but this looks like it took a severe hit.  What year is the bike?

I'm thinking the same thing, and also never seen this pop up before..

it does look like it took a severe whack to the lower (front, left in photo) part, as that area has some  darker residue, like aging, to it.. it probably got whacked hard on a curb or something, and after time the crack grew and finally failed (as seen by the clean metal at the rear and top).

tough to predict when it occurred, but I'd bet it's the reason it got sold...
bummer, best of luck getting this taken care of...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Tree

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2018, 04:41:50 PM »
C'mon.  Seriously?  That'll buff right out.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2018, 05:01:31 PM »
it probably got whacked hard on a curb or something[...]tough to predict when it occurred, but I'd bet it's the reason it got sold...

My thoughts, too.  I don't believe that is any type of fault of Kawasaki (not warranty covered).  I hope that is a reputable dealer, it is likely to get really messy...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline jwh20

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2018, 05:20:45 PM »
Unfortunately there no really no way to repair that.  The only fix that I can imagine here is a frame replacement which is a big and expensive job.  Hoping your dealer is able to help out.  One possibility might be an appeal to the Kawasaki Factory if there is any evidence that this is defect-related vs. having been caused by some impact or other careless handling of the bike.

Good luck!

Offline Dreedo

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2018, 06:34:45 PM »
Update. Local service manager had never seen anything like it. The underside shows no signs of impact, which I already knew, so he said he would send pics to Kawasaki to see if they would make it right as my warranty went out this last April. The other side has an open crack about 3 to 4 inches long. Will wait and see what they do. Thanks for the input.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2018, 09:56:31 AM »
Sure hope they make you whole. Otherwise that's going to be one expensive parts bike.  :'(

Offline tonedeaf2

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2018, 09:20:44 PM »
Can't even begin to think of what might have happened. Sure doesn't look like something resulting from a typical accident. If it is a defective part, it is defective beyond anything I have seen. I wonder if it is possible to trace some of the major parts and see if they are original.