Author Topic: TPMS Batteries  (Read 3776 times)

Offline EddiE J.

TPMS Batteries
« on: February 29, 2020, 12:07:29 PM »
removed

« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 02:24:44 PM by EddiE J. »

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: TPMS Batteries
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 06:10:27 PM »
Good find. Looks like they'll be much easier to solder.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2020, 09:45:27 PM »
I have wondered if there is more room in there for a higher capacity battery, or even enlarging it a bit.  Not that it matters for me, since I now have the potted ones.  Had they made it just a few mm larger, they could have probably doubled the battery life.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2020, 06:41:34 AM »
Anyone know the difference between the 2032 and 2025, the oem battery?. Please let us know how it works and take pictures.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2020, 07:39:03 AM »
Anyone know the difference between the 2032 and 2025, the oem battery?.

The only difference is thickness, weight, and capacity.  They are the same chemistry, diameter, and voltage.

2025 = ~170mAh
2032 = ~235mAh

The 2032 will last something like 38% longer than a 2025 (think, for example, a 7 year life instead of 5- note, I am not implying that is the result in THIS application; in fact, it will vary greatly depending on how often the wheel is turning).  That is a huge advantage for being just 0.7 millimeter thicker and 0.4 grams heavier.  Of course, a crappy/cheesy battery might have a lower capacity than a quality one that is the same size or even smaller.  And there are a lot of crappy batteries out there.

This is why I was suggesting a larger (quality) battery, if it will fit.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2020, 08:44:01 AM »
Thickness. The battery numbering system defines them as Diameter and Thickness, so a 2025 is 20 mm in diameter and 2.5 mm thick. The 2032 is thicker at 3.2 mm.

Otherwise, always check on the voltage needed vs. the voltage provided in any coin cell battery because that is NOT defined by the numerical size nomenclature.

Brian

Edited to fix thickness: the second number is in tenths of mm, not whole mm's.

Anyone know the difference between the 2032 and 2025, the oem battery?. Please let us know how it works and take pictures.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 02:40:28 PM by B.D.F. »
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2020, 08:46:08 AM »
I do not believe that battery will fit, at least not with the wires projecting under the shrink tube cover as shown. The battery in a TPMS sensor is quite tight in the housing and there is just not any room for anything to project out.

What we normally do is use a standard tabbed 2032 cell, solder one tab end to the PC board and then use a piece of bare, 30 ga. wire to connect the other tab to the PC board. Fast, easy and works perfectly every time with no risk to any part of the TMPS.

Brian

Going to change Tires and replace  TPMS Batteries  that are weak . So I have been looking and found Batteries with 2 inch leads already attached for $1.49 each  at Jameco Electronics that is just a few miles from me.  It looks like it would work with clean and easy solder just two wires to TPMS sensor . 
Any one else have a better idea ?  Jameco electronics sells top notch products not like the radio shack crap so I think I would be getting a quality battery that will last.

https://www.jameco.com/z/CR2032-LEADS-3V-CR2032-Lithium-Coin-Battery-with-2-Inch-Leads_2223443.html?CID=MERCH
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2020, 08:51:29 AM »
Thickness. The battery numbering system defines them as Diameter and Thickness, so a 2025 is 20 mm in diameter and 25 mm thick. The 2032 is thicker at 32 mm.

Actually, the measurement is mm diameter and tenths of a mm thickness.  Both are 20mm diameter.  The difference in thickness is 2.5mm vs. 3.2 = 0.7mm.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2020, 08:55:24 AM »
I do not believe that battery will fit, at least not with the wires projecting under the shrink tube cover as shown. The battery in a TPMS sensor is quite tight in the housing and there is just not any room for anything to project out.

:(

I wonder if there is a safe/good/reasonable way to have the battery external to the sensor? and just feed the leads inside the case.  For example, in an air/water-tight sealed cell pack that is glued to the exterior of the unit.  Perhaps it is not worth the trouble/risk; but it really is annoying they didn't use larger batteries.  Much of the volume of coin cell batteries are packaging, so adding a tiny bit of thickness can result in a lot more capacity.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2020, 02:38:18 PM »
That battery will fit but both contacts need to be trimmed and re-shaped. No problem though, they are very thin and soft so altering them is easy and they also solder extremely easily. Those are the batteries I use to replace the original in the tire pressure sensors (old style sensors, the new ones are different).

Brian

May need to trim the cover back on the Jameco battery  or a battery with terminals at a 45 degree angle would most likely fit.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2020, 02:39:10 PM »
Exactly right- my mistake. I will fix the original post to reflect..... reality :-)

Thanks for the correction, I hate to leave bad data behind in posts.

Brian

Actually, the measurement is mm diameter and tenths of a mm thickness.  Both are 20mm diameter.  The difference in thickness is 2.5mm vs. 3.2 = 0.7mm.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2020, 02:48:08 PM »
One thing to consider when looking for a replacement battery is the weight it might add and change the tire balance in the already heavy spot of the rim .  keep it light , simple and easy to replace during a tire change  .  Do a voltage check and replace when low and you are installing  a new tire.
 I think taking a soldering iron to a cr2032 battery could shorten the life  ..... that's why I was looking for an alternative and asking what other have found.

I don't want to add 5000 airsoft pellets to my tire to get it to balance           

If we go on that particular weight thing, understand the second Gen sensors had actually a thicker cell (iirc a 2052 series) which provided even greater life capacity..  then, they added the gooobie potting goop, and topped that all of with a longer and heavier valve stem assembly along with a thicker, larger more robust housing than the early version.... so Kaw wasn't caring about weight...   I found some and saved a link, I need to look for it again... the thickness of the cell was "stepped", i.e. smaller base diameter of 20mm, which widened out at the top by approx 2mm on dia.. so it would fit in the recess, and alllow it's use.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2020, 05:11:51 PM »
Thanks for the picture. Would it have been better to shorten those leads?

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2020, 07:07:38 PM »
The Jameco battery had a sealed no leak battery under the cover that was easy to remove with a blade , it fit perfect and will be an easy battery change again if a few years and few sets of tires.

It only took 2500 Airsoft pellets to balance out that new Pilot Road 5 GT .   

i HAVE TO LAUGH, if you could jam 3 airsoft pellets down the stem, more power to ya.. (and I know you were jokin from the start, but some folks will be going out, and buying them.. very bad Ju-Ju... just saying.. but hey, this is the internet, and anything you read here is.... gospel...

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :1DeadBanana :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:   folks, air soft pellets wont fit thru the valve stem,, nor will they balance a tire.. just keeping it "real'.. ymmv/lsmft/ some settling may incur in transit, items viewed in the mirror may may be closer than they appear.. .... there is no person behind the curtain.. don't try this at home, any more tire balance ideas, other than SLIME? (not), or just good old balance weights, on the rim... for $1... well. no mas, but really loved the implied pellet thing.. ... oh, B-B's "almost fit", but #7 birdshot lead pellets do.. but that is even dumber to suggest.. I can attest to it after doing a tire change for a pal.. I really couldn't tell him what I felt, as he paid me with realllllly good beer for the service.. and yes, I balanced his wheels with stick on's. free..   oh, I also got the remainder of his 25# bag of shot, and stuffed a bunch of shells with it... doh..

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2020, 05:25:42 AM »
So the longer wire creates more resistance and with less current flow draw from the battery ..... So this in theory should give longer  battery life

0.000001 nanoseconds! 

BAZINGA

LOL  :)

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2020, 07:14:12 AM »
Ohm's Law ..... The circuit with the higher resistance will allow less charge to flow, meaning the circuit with higher resistance has less current flowing through it. So the longer wire creates more resistance and with less current flow draw from the battery ..... So this in theory should give longer  battery life 

BAZINGA
[/quote
May also increase the low voltage warning frequency.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2020, 07:32:35 PM »
MOB 
you can never carry too much ammo ...... just in case you run into a zombie apocalypse
Them zom-bo's laugh at rubber pellets, hell, ya gotta do a double tap, with a .45, to the brain pan.. or, seperate the brain from the bod... just saying... but.. carrying ammo, is a GOOD thang.... better than carrying food, or water... ..keep 'er real out there, in Zombie Land..

oh...

And be on the lookout for the newer breeds of them.. the "Bolt Heads" require more than other... but, on the lighter side, the newer "Homer" breed, is sooooo stupid and easy to deal with... 

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2020, 09:33:23 AM »
Just wanted to let you guys know, Kawasaki put the most wicked electronics package on my H2 SXSEPLUS. And thank god there's no TPMS, linked brakes, fob crap. It does bluetooth to your phone though.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2020, 01:41:01 PM »
I knew there was a catch..LOL
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2020, 03:20:39 PM »
Just wanted to let you guys know, Kawasaki put the most wicked electronics package on my H2 SXSEPLUS.

It is all in the eye of the beholder.  Personally, I want a large analog speedometer and large analog tachometer (can be a digital representation of dual analog, though).  There isn't much interesting in the newer electronics, to me, anyway.  Bigger and color might be nice, mostly because my near vision sucks now, but certainly not worth losing everything the C14 brings to the table.

And thank god there's no TPMS, linked brakes, fob crap. It does bluetooth to your phone though.

I love TMPS.
I have no problems with linked brakes (in low mode).
I love the fob crap.
And I can already do bluetooth to my helmet.

My only real wish would be a more intelligent way to handle "alerts" (no screen-takeover with reach-to-the-dash-dual press to clear).