Author Topic: Steering Lock never engages.  (Read 1170 times)

Offline Oilman

• Live to Ride
Steering Lock never engages.
« on: February 19, 2023, 06:59:07 AM »
Hello New friends.
Been dreaming about a Concours for literally decades and have finally purchased a 2009. Unbelievable! Love it. 30 Years since I was riding. As I have been tinkering and cleaning and buying misc. new unscratched parts, I noticed my steering never locks. I have read posts and online comments about how to fix when the steering won't unlock, but ,mine never locks. I checked the electrical connection on the left side under the cowling and it seemed to be connected (one of the "fixes" I read about was to unhook the connectors thereby disabling the lock pin)

Any reason I should or shouldn't get it fixed? Looks like a pretty technical DYI, and my guess is its pretty expensive to replace.

Thanks for any advice from my new found group of friends!
2011 C-14 ABS, 33,000 mi, Stock heated grips, Heated Corbin seat, Cee Bailey's windshield, Two Brothers carbon fiber M2. TPX Radar/Laser detector, TPX Laser Jammer w  front & rear transponders, Dunlop RS3's.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Steering Lock never engages.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2023, 09:06:21 PM »
I wish I had something to offer.  I have been following all the posts for many years and yours is the first I have heard of the steering lock NOT working.

You ask if it is important.  Hmm.  The only real purpose for the lock is to make it harder to steal the bike (it might also help with unintentional accidental movement, but I am not sold on that).  However:

1) The Concours is not a hot item to steal
2) The Concours has a much higher level of ignition security
3) The Concours is big and heavy, so not easy to just push away
4) A determined thief can probably break the pin by forcing the handle hard, or by using a shim, if they know where the pin is and can get to it (not sure on the C14).

Those said, I would not be happy if the lock didn't work.  I ALWAYS use the steering lock.  It is a major theft deterrent and also would help some with someone "messing" with your bike's steering (like a kid) and causing it to fall over in the process.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2023, 01:34:47 AM »
Also make sure that you read your insurance policy as many of them won't pay out if the bike gets stolen and they find out that the steering lock was broken.
A friend got bitten that way when he removed his steering lock to get more steering angle (not a Connie!), but he did put details on what he'd done online so perhaps not best to advertise such.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Oilman

• Live to Ride
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2023, 04:42:15 AM »
Thanks Maxtog and Boomer!
Appreciate the advice and reassurances on the theft worthiness of the C-14. That said, I am also not "happy" that it doesn't work, so any idea what it costs to have the shop fix it? Will they even do it. My closest dealer in Louisville, KY will not even work on bikes more than 10 years old!
2011 C-14 ABS, 33,000 mi, Stock heated grips, Heated Corbin seat, Cee Bailey's windshield, Two Brothers carbon fiber M2. TPX Radar/Laser detector, TPX Laser Jammer w  front & rear transponders, Dunlop RS3's.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2023, 09:18:01 AM »
Looking at the Service Manual, the Steering Lock is part of the Ignition Key unit which is part of the Ignition set, so will be difficult to replace away from a Kawasaki dealers.
Check the wiring going to it (again details in the manual) as I believe that people often unplug and replug that part when they are having problems with the Ignition switch not initialising.
There are 2 connectors that go to the Steering Lock Unit, one with 8 connectors and one with 2 connectors.
Other than that I can't comment as I've never touched it other than to start the bike.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Oilman

• Live to Ride
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2023, 07:18:27 PM »
Thanks Boomer. I will try connecting and reconnecting those connections. see if it makes any changes to my luck

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2023, 08:48:50 PM »
If the steering bearings have been replaced with c ertain aftermarket ones, it is possible they are larger and interfere with the lock.

Youall know how I learned this.
2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!