Author Topic: "Battery light question  (Read 3532 times)

Offline greycobra

"Battery light question
« on: July 18, 2012, 08:44:41 AM »
I bought a '96 Voyager yesterday.  The bike is beautiful and runs great.  The only issue is a persistent battery light on the dash.  The fellow I bought it from told me that it was that way when he bought it but has not caused any problems.  The bike starts and runs fine.

Question for those in the know.  Why the warning light and how can I fix it.

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
Re: "Battery light question
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 09:19:51 AM »
I would think that the first thing you might want to check is whether the light is actually correct.  If the light is on, even with the key off, you clearly have a drain on the battery.  Next would be to check the voltage at the battery with the key off, with the key on and the bike not running, with the bike idling, and with the engine running at 3k rpm & 5k rpm.

Ignoring warning lights based on the statements of the seller may not be the best approach.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 08:46:31 PM »
Agreed with Lt1, do the dilligance and be sure the battery and charge system are ok. That being said, my brother and I have owned (brother still does) Honda V45 Sabre's. The sabre had a sensor of some sort that went directly into a cell of a wet cell battery and read just that cell and reported good or bad based just on that cell. Moving it from one cell to another would often clear a battery indicator. When an owner changed to a gel battery or something else sealed, they either lived with the light/indicator or wired in a resistor to provide the 2.2 volts needed to satisfy the probe. I'm sure if this is the case on your bike, an internet search will give you the fix.
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 05:37:41 PM »
Somebody has to say it. just take out the bulb or put some black tape over it. ;)

I'd be investigating with a volt meter, as stated above.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline MizzouMike

• Arena
  • How do you remove the rain magnet on this thing?
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 07:13:14 PM »
Somebody has to say it. just take out the bulb or put some black tape over it. ;)

I'd be investigating with a volt meter, as stated above.

That is the approach I use with my F-150  "Service Engine Soon"..    well Soon is an awfully realative term,
NEKansas  AMA#273766, COG#8862, IBA#44917
2000 Concours 2001 KLR, 2013 HD Ultra Classic

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 04:03:50 PM »
From what I recall, the battery light on the Voyager is meant to warn of an electrolyte low condition in the battery.  If one buys a battery that isn't designed to work with the sensor then the light stays on.  You should be able to look at the battery and see if the sensor is in one of the cell filler holes.  If not, that's your problem.  Or it could be doing what it's designed to do and telling you about a low electrolyte level.  Assuming the PO bought a battery not designed for the bike then there is a 'fix' to fool the sensor.

Here is the AVA site for tips and techniques.  About midway down the page is a paragraph on the battery sensor thingy....

http://www.amervoyassoc.org/XIITipsBody.htm  You may want to think about joining that group.  Good bunch of people.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.