Author Topic: A thread about nothing at all....  (Read 671232 times)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: A thread about nothing at all....
« Reply #3220 on: June 12, 2018, 04:04:26 PM »
She was also quite a looker!

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3221 on: June 12, 2018, 04:14:57 PM »
Yes, a beautiful woman. And her claim is that that got in the way of her life for most of her life. She would have preferred to be more intellectual but her physical beauty prevented anyone from taking her seriously.

Then again, her heyday was a very different time and generation. One of the most intelligent, if not THE most intelligent peers I have had the pleasure to work with was a young woman. We used to work quite closely together; I could provide some design, conceptual help to her and she would handle all of those nasty, obnoxious math problems involving identities in trigonometry; I can remember about four of them while I think she knew ALL of them (not possible but I never saw a problem that stumped her either). But I have no doubt that she too would have been minimized if she happened to be born in the 1910's as well as Hedy Lamar.

Brian

She was also quite a looker!

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3222 on: June 13, 2018, 04:34:13 AM »
Dancing FBI agent who accidentally shot someone is arrested

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/12/us/dancing-fbi-agent-arrest/index.html

(CNN)The FBI agent who unintentionally shot someone while dancing in a Denver bar turned himself in to police on Tuesday and is awaiting charges.

The agent, identified as 29-year-old Chase Bishop, is being held at a Denver detention center for investigation of second degree assault, pending formal charges from the District Attorney's Office, according to Denver Police Department spokesman Jay Casillas.

Bishop was showing off his moves in the center of a dance circle at Mile High Spirits bar on June 2 when he launched into a back handspring. During the move, a firearm fell out of his waistband holster and onto the floor, Denver police said.

He moved to pick the weapon up and unintentionally fired one shot, police said. Bishop then put the gun back in his pants and walked away with his hands up.

One person was struck in the lower leg and was expected to survive, police said.

The arrest comes a week after video of the incident went viral and raised questions as to why Bishop was not initially taken into custody.

An attorney for the victim told CNN affiliate KMGH that the bullet hit the victim's main artery and that he could have bled to death, if not for a person who applied a tourniquet to the victim's leg.

The District Attorney's Office as well as Denver FBI did not comment on the incident, citing a pending investigation.

Authorities did not initially identify the FBI agent because he was not arrested at the time, Denver police community resource officer Marika Putnam said. Denver police said last week that the agent could face possible charges pending the results of lab testing to determine if alcohol was a factor.

Last week, the Mile High Spirits team released a statement on Facebook saying they looked forward to speaking with the FBI to learn more about why the agent was armed in the bar.

"It is shocking that the only shooting to ever occur at our establishment came about as a result of an FBI agent entering our distillery tasting room carrying a loaded firearm without our knowledge, in violation of our rules," the bar said.

The bar also said the patron who was shot is welcome to complimentary drinks forever at the bar.

Retired FBI supervisory special agent James A. Gagliano wrote for CNN that he understood the need for a young agent to blow off steam. Still, he wrote that he was shocked at the agent's poor judgment.

"This agent should have taken better care to conceal and secure his weapon," Gagliano wrote. "Even before he lost control of it, you can clearly see the weapon's outline against his shirt in the video. That's an egregiously unacceptable concealment effort.

"And knowing he was armed, he may have elected to avoid the dance-off."

Looks like Chase will be pursuing another carrier path.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3223 on: June 13, 2018, 07:23:46 AM »
I saw that. What a dumb series of mistakes.

1) does not use a proper holster to secure a loaded weapon with no safety or safety off
   not sure what it was but if something like a Glock, carry with a holster that covers the trigger guard
   and does not accidentally release the weapon

2) decides on the back flip dancing move while carrying

3) when he picks it up, puts his finger on the trigger.

I expect more from and FBI agent that is supposed to be a pro.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3224 on: June 13, 2018, 07:26:15 AM »
Must be on a leadership track.

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #3225 on: June 13, 2018, 08:57:12 AM »
The list of errors goes on and on.

If that was one of us, we would have been in jail that night and still be in jail today. After we got thumped on be the local police.

The sad part is, none of this is terribly surprising. Stupidity and ineptitude is pervasive in society today.
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3226 on: June 13, 2018, 02:35:19 PM »
So in this insane world where it seems everyone is tripping over his / her feet to hurt, insult or molest someone else, let us look toward that kindly, gentle animal species that has real manners for a better example: yep, Kodiak bears, the largest carnivore in the western hemisphere and possibly, the world. Let us take a very quick look at how they interact with another mammal during a casual interaction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6Xo21L0ybE

OK, as I watch the video I counted:

0 Shootings
0 Incidents of rage, (road or other)
0 Incidents of group or 'pack' behavior

Perhaps we can learn something from our furry 'friends'. Remember, humans are the ONLY mammals that kills for sport.....

Oh yeah, and  :rotflmao:  'cause the video is funny!

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Deziner

• Arena
  • Phoenix
« Reply #3227 on: June 13, 2018, 07:58:44 PM »
Why am I thinking that the interaction would have been much different had the people approached bear to "get a closer look"?
God does not subtract from a man's life the number of hours spent riding a motorcycle

2008 C14, Muzzy exhaust, PCV, heated grips, Sergeant seat, PR4 GTs, Donovan headlight mod, Ronnies highway pegs, Cox rad guard, "The Big Rack", Grip Puppies, XM, many more made by me parts to come.....

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3228 on: June 14, 2018, 03:06:13 PM »
Charles Proteus Steinmetz (born Karl August Rudolph Steinmetz, 1865 in Prussia).

He was many things: a truly gifted genius, a man suffering from dwarfism (he stood just 4 feet tall), hunchback, and hip dysplasia, an odd man who lived an unusual but apparently successful life and lifestyle, and one of the inventor / engineer greats of the early period of the use of electricity. He was called the "Wizard" of Schenectady for his ground-breaking work at GE, was quite famous as a brilliant and able inventor and problem- solver, and knew and was friendly with many of 'the greats' of that era including T.A. Edison and Henry Ford. He is probably best known today as the man who conjured up Steinmetz's formula, still used everyday to deal with magnetic hysteresis losses, as well as the 'operators' he came up with so that calculus is not needed to deal with simple AC circuits and instead they can be treated as the far simpler DC circuits. It has been speculated many times that the reason Thomas Edison was so opposed to AC current was that he did not have the education or mathematical abilities to do even simple calculations on AC circuits; Steinmetz generated his 'operators' to allow Edison to work with AC as easily as he could deal with DC current. They are still in widespread, common use today because even if one can do the actual integration, it is far, far easier to just use Steinmetz's 'operators' and skip all the tedious mathematics.

As the story goes:  During the construction of the Ford Rouge River plant (by far the largest manufacturing plant in the world when completed in 1928; it measured 1 1/2 miles wide and 1 mile long), the engineers could not get the huge generator to work correctly. This is supposedly how it was solved:

(quote taken directly from Smithsonian.com' website)

"Ford, whose electrical engineers couldn’t solve some problems they were having with a gigantic generator, called Steinmetz in to the plant. Upon arriving, Steinmetz rejected all assistance and asked only for a notebook, pencil and cot. According to Scott, Steinmetz listened to the generator and scribbled computations on the notepad for two straight days and nights. On the second night, he asked for a ladder, climbed up the generator and made a chalk mark on its side. Then he told Ford’s skeptical engineers to remove a plate at the mark and replace sixteen windings from the field coil. They did, and the generator performed to perfection.

Henry Ford was thrilled until he got an invoice from General Electric in the amount of $10,000. Ford acknowledged Steinmetz’s success but balked at the figure. He asked for an itemized bill.

Steinmetz, Scott wrote, responded personally to Ford’s request with the following:

Making chalk mark on generator $1.

Knowing where to make mark $9,999.

Ford paid the bill."

One of my favorite stories. I really do not know or even care if it is actually true, it is still a great story about a fascinating person IMO.

Brian

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3229 on: June 18, 2018, 06:23:18 PM »
The 'cylinder' wars between Chevrolet and Chrysler go back almost to the beginning of production automobiles in the US.

By the 1920's, both of those companies, as well as most auto companies in total, were making four- cylinder cars (luxury and limited production vehicles excepted). Ford's Model T, made from 1909 until 1927, was by far the most produced car in the world, and would remain so until the 1980's when the Volkswagen Beetle finally surpassed it in production numbers. Still, by the end of the run, the T was badly dated and sales were dwindling, so Henry Ford decided to bring out the next model, a particular favorite of his and actually called "Henry's Lady", the Model A. This new and very popular model was introduced in 1928 and was expected to have a long run, as the Model T did but everything changed when Chevrolet came out with the in-line six and the advertising slogan 'a six for the price of a four', and that was the first year that Chevrolet ever out- sold Ford (1929). As the story goes, an enraged Henry Fork remarked 'If it is cylinders they want, it is cylinders they will get!' and immediately began work on what we know today as the Ford Flathead V-8 that would go on to power Ford autos for decades. Of course Chevrolet responded much, much later, in 1955, with their own V-8, the 265 cu. in. 'small block', which was again a modern engine with overhead valves. In fact, most people will say that this was Chevrolet's first V-8 but that is not the case.....

Chevrolet actually introduced a V-8 in 1917 to compete with the other, higher- end manufacturers of the day. In fact, this engine, in the 'Model D', was actually very advanced and unlike the 1933 Ford V-8, it had overhead valves, a direct drive rotary distributor and several other futuristic facets. By all accounts, it was a very good design, very robust and reliable and was basically well ahead of its time. Unfortunately, it was also expensive and the bottom line was that people simply would not pay Cadillac, Pierce- Arrow, Packard, et al. prices for the pedestrian moniker 'Chevrolet'. So the original Chevrolet quietly died a quick death after only two years. Today they are rare and extremely sought- after collector cars.

So the "brand new for Chevrolet" V-8 of 1955 was actually almost 40 years later than Chevrolet's real 'first' V-8.

Brian

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3230 on: June 19, 2018, 10:55:07 AM »
And now for an excellent story about a very good LEO doing his job.

http://time.com/5315805/indiana-state-trooper-pulled-over-slow-driver-left-lane/

INDIANAPOLIS — An Indiana State Police trooper who tweeted a photo of a vehicle he stopped for driving too slowly in the left lane says he’s overwhelmed by the widespread praise he’s receiving online.

Sgt. Stephen Wheeles stopped the driver Saturday on Interstate 65 about 35 miles south of Indianapolis after about 20 vehicles had slowed behind her. Wheeles says she was traveling under the 70 mph speed limit. Indiana law requires drivers to move to the right lane to allow faster traffic to pass. 

The post has been retweeted by IndyCar driver Graham Rahal, who said, “This guy is my hero,” and Fox NFL announcer and Hall of Fame quarterback Troy Aikman. Others suggested he win a Nobel Prize or asked him to relocate to their states.

"I stopped this vehicle today for a left lane violation on I-65.  The driver had approximately 20 cars slowed behind her because she would not move back to the right lane.

Again...if there are vehicles behind you, you must move to the right lane to allow them to pass."

https://twitter.com/ISPVersailles/status/1008056619622690817?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3231 on: June 19, 2018, 12:15:26 PM »
Yeah, I saw that story. Brought a tear to my eye, it did.

I saw something absolutely amazing in Wyokodatana (one of those big, western states) on my ride to the other coast in '11. There is miles and miles of nothing but prairie with a ribbon that in Interstate I-90 running through the middle of it. Seriously, on a small rise, I think you can see for 30, 40 miles in either direction. Anyway, riding along a few MPH above the speed limit, I came upon a car and a truck driving much slower..... but RIGHT NEXT TO EACH OTHER! I got behind the person in the left lane, waited a bit and then flashed my brights at the driver. After a few flashes, he / she sped up and started to pull ahead but only did so until about 10 feet in front of the truck in the right lane, and then settled back down to the original cruising speed. Still not able to get by them (only a 2- lane highway), I finally had to resort to more drastic passing measures. I did not and still do not believe they were acting maliciously and it was simply ignorance, and idiocy causing this.

And then some time later, I saw the exact same thing happen a few more times! The very definition of F.U.B.A.R. in my opinion.

Brian

http://time.com/5315805/indiana-state-trooper-pulled-over-slow-driver-left-lane/

INDIANAPOLIS — An Indiana State Police trooper who tweeted a photo of a vehicle he stopped for driving too slowly in the left lane says he’s overwhelmed by the widespread praise he’s receiving online.

<snip>

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3232 on: June 19, 2018, 01:02:59 PM »
 :goodpost: Gives me hope for mankind!

Sgt. Stephen Wheeles stopped the driver Saturday on Interstate 65 about 35 miles south of Indianapolis after about 20 vehicles had slowed behind her. Wheeles says she was traveling under the 70 mph speed limit. Indiana law requires drivers to move to the right lane to allow faster traffic to pass. 

The post has been retweeted by IndyCar driver Graham Rahal, who said, “This guy is my hero,” and Fox NFL announcer and Hall of Fame quarterback Troy Aikman. Others suggested he win a Nobel Prize or asked him to relocate to their states.

"I stopped this vehicle today for a left lane violation on I-65.  The driver had approximately 20 cars slowed behind her because she would not move back to the right lane.

Again...if there are vehicles behind you, you must move to the right lane to allow them to pass."

https://twitter.com/ISPVersailles/status/1008056619622690817?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3233 on: June 19, 2018, 01:09:41 PM »
Years ago, my brother got a velocity award and instead of accepting the award he choose to attend a safety driving class (an option in the state of TX if your record is otherwise clean). This was before the online classes and had to be attended in person. The class was taught by a LEO and one of the students bragged how they loved to find someone going slow in the right land and cruise along side in the left lane to slow everyone down. This a$$hole actually thought he was doing the world a favor. The instructor told the a$$hole that what he was doing was illegal and that if he ever caught him doing that he would be getting another citation.

Yeah, I saw that story. Brought a tear to my eye, it did.

I saw something absolutely amazing in Wyokodatana (one of those big, western states) on my ride to the other coast in '11. There is miles and miles of nothing but prairie with a ribbon that in Interstate I-90 running through the middle of it. Seriously, on a small rise, I think you can see for 30, 40 miles in either direction. Anyway, riding along a few MPH above the speed limit, I came upon a car and a truck driving much slower..... but RIGHT NEXT TO EACH OTHER! I got behind the person in the left lane, waited a bit and then flashed my brights at the driver. After a few flashes, he / she sped up and started to pull ahead but only did so until about 10 feet in front of the truck in the right lane, and then settled back down to the original cruising speed. Still not able to get by them (only a 2- lane highway), I finally had to resort to more drastic passing measures. I did not and still do not believe they were acting maliciously and it was simply ignorance, and idiocy causing this.

And then some time later, I saw the exact same thing happen a few more times! The very definition of F.U.B.A.R. in my opinion.

Brian

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3234 on: June 19, 2018, 02:20:11 PM »
And now, as a comparison to stupid people, please permit me to introduce some smart kittens :-)

A couple of days past 5 weeks old and they know exactly how to 'chow down'. Lots' o' purrin' going on in that lap (and yep, there are several Easy Boys! jokes in there but the kittens are far too young for that kind of 'R' rated material).

Brian

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #3235 on: June 19, 2018, 02:25:55 PM »
And now for something on the lighter side.

https://nypost.com/2018/06/19/man-crushed-to-death-by-moms-coffin-during-funeral/

I am actually surprised there was an accident during that..... affair. Everything looks pretty safe and robust, from the bamboo ladders with the rope fastenings, right on through the careful, coordinated effort by people wearing the proper attire, especially footwear, and working in a carefully orchestrated, safe manner.

Yeah I know it is a tragedy but seriously, how can anyone look at that video and not think "Really?..... REALLY?".... at what point did any of that seem like a good idea?

Brian

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3236 on: June 19, 2018, 06:48:33 PM »
Good argument for cremation.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3237 on: June 19, 2018, 07:50:05 PM »
Good argument for cremation.

There are a lot of good arguments for cremation.... like

1) Lower cost
2) No space
3) More logical
4) Less work
5) Easier planning
6) More environmental friendly
7) Less conceited
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3238 on: June 21, 2018, 07:07:32 AM »
8)  Can stay at home and keep an eye on things
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #3239 on: June 21, 2018, 08:47:02 AM »
There are a lot of good arguments for cremation.... like

1) Lower cost
2) No space
3) More logical
4) Less work
5) Easier planning
6) More environmental friendly
7) Less conceited

8)  Can stay at home and keep an eye on things
...and up close at that.  8)

9) Bigger...become the man in death that you never were in life.