Author Topic: Video - SLIPPER CLUTCH  (Read 5683 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Video - SLIPPER CLUTCH
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 08:21:28 PM »
[youtube link]
Steve

Just watched this video and it was very informative.  Never quite knew how the internals of a slipper clutch worked, and now I do!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 08:49:46 PM »
Just watched this video and it was very informative.  Never quite knew how the internals of a slipper clutch worked, and now I do!
+1
Thanks again Steve  :chugbeer:

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 07:08:50 AM »
Excellent video! Never knew exactly how a slipper clutch worked. Makes perfect sense.

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 07:35:49 AM »
Excellent video, thank you....

They always made us put the steel plates in with either the sharp side up, or sharp side down..do you bother with that? I was never convinced it did anything....

You have a real talent for explaining this , and thanks again.

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 09:17:51 AM »
Excellent video, thank you....

They always made us put the steel plates in with either the sharp side up, or sharp side down..do you bother with that? I was never convinced it did anything....

You have a real talent for explaining this , and thanks again.

it doesn't matter, it really has do do with how the plate was stamped. Still, I always put them in the same, generally sharp side down. Steve

Offline marku8a

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 09:59:31 PM »

+2!!

Have any of you experienced the clutch actually slipping? This is the first bike I have had with a slipper. When I first got it, I purposely made several very hard downshifts and didn't notice any difference from a conventional clutch.

Mark
2009 C14 Red
Fly_ectomy, K&N Filter, Oxford Heated Grips, PC V, Full Area P Exhaust
How far can a person run into a forest?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 03:42:31 AM »
+2!!

Have any of you experienced the clutch actually slipping? This is the first bike I have had with a slipper. When I first got it, I purposely made several very hard downshifts and didn't notice any difference from a conventional clutch.

Mark
Did you ever lock and skid the rear tire or experience any wheel hop during those hard downshifts? No? Then the clutch worked as advertised.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 06:59:07 AM »
+2!!

Mark

I don't usually downshift hard enough for it to make a difference but a couple of times I've accidentally downshifted 1 gear too far and have gotten the slightest hop. I'm pretty sure the slipper kicked in and kept it from more serious hoping.

Offline marku8a

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2014, 08:11:23 PM »
Did you ever lock and skid the rear tire or experience any wheel hop during those hard downshifts? No? Then the clutch worked as advertised.

Never a lock up but some pretty big chirps from rear tire skid. Just as I have experienced with conventional clutches. I expected a lot of slip.

Mark
2009 C14 Red
Fly_ectomy, K&N Filter, Oxford Heated Grips, PC V, Full Area P Exhaust
How far can a person run into a forest?

Offline tomp

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014, 05:40:28 PM »
Funny that this thread is going on now.  I was off today and on a ride.  Just for the heck of it, I, out of the blue, decided to see how well the slipper clutch worked.  As per my dirt bike days, just kicked the gears down, sans clutch, into 1st at over 20MPH.  No jerking, no hopping, no tire noise.   Just a drop into the next lower gear with no argument from the bike.   

Had a Duke 690 also with slipper, and no matter how it was abused, the rear tire and engine never made me regret my actions.  Man, I miss that Duke. A Hooligan with a CAPITAL H, for sure.  tp
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline Stephen.G.Fiddes

• They don't call me crash for nothing...
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2014, 08:24:52 PM »
Funny that this thread is going on now.  I was off today and on a ride.  Just for the heck of it, I, out of the blue, decided to see how well the slipper clutch worked.  As per my dirt bike days, just kicked the gears down, sans clutch, into 1st at over 20MPH.  No jerking, no hopping, no tire noise.   Just a drop into the next lower gear with no argument from the bike.   

Had a Duke 690 also with slipper, and no matter how it was abused, the rear tire and engine never made me regret my actions.  Man, I miss that Duke. A Hooligan with a CAPITAL H, for sure.  tp

Top of first gear is about 60MPH on our bikes.

If I am setting up for a turn (aka, partly turning already and still slowing down)   When engine braking (using clutch and blipping the throttle...) I definitely notice some sliding of the rear wheel if I drop into second above 50 MPH, and 1st above 40 MPH (by the time I'm in first I'm already 1/8 the way into the turn and about to get back on the throttle). 

Now that said, I have never once felt wheel hop on this bike, where as on my 650 I most definitely did if I had a sloppy downshift.  It was actually quite rare to slide with out hopping... On the connie it just slides a bit and comes right around :)
2013 Kawasaki Concours 14 - CURRENT
2012 Yamaha V-Star 250 - WIFE'S
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R - SOLD
1982 Honda CM450E - SOLD