Author Topic: c-14 rear shock changeover  (Read 5815 times)

Offline Wild Rose

c-14 rear shock changeover
« on: December 26, 2011, 03:55:27 PM »
Is there much differance in swapping the c-14 rear shocky to the zzr1200 shocky changeover?
Is there any real differance in the make up of the shockies?

Leo

Offline Uglydog56

• I'd rather be lucky than good.
Re: c-14 rear shock changeover
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 12:30:44 AM »
C-14 is taller than zzr.  C-14 is more plush riding and compliant than zzr.  C-14 is rebuildable, I don't know about zzr.
Rick A. Cone
COG #9186
98 Connie, 76 CB400F

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 04:07:55 AM »
The C14 shock is much longer than the stock C10 shock and is also longer than the ZZR shock and unless you are really a leggy SOB your going to need to also find a Lowering Rocker to go with the install.

The mounting bolts used on the C14 shock are smaller than the C10/ZZR shock by some 2 mm; the lower mounting fork on the shock is easy to drill out so that you can use the lower mounting bolt and spacer (?) from the ZZR. Most who have done the C14 shock install have simply used the smaller upper mounting bolt through the frame mount with nothing more than a flat washer on each side of the nut & bolt; this works fine. Both have the same style of remotely mounted adjustment reservoir so that requires only figuring out where you want to mount it at and at best an L type of mounting bracket.

I can vouch that the ZZR shock is night & day better than the C10 shock and I'm told that the C14 shock is night & day better than the ZZR shock.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 08:26:54 AM »
Tee's correct, the c-14 is as much better than the zzr shock as the zzr shock is better than the c-10 shock. BTDT. steve

Offline Centex

• Arena
    • Central Motorcycle Roadracing Association
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 11:12:47 AM »
I'm guessing that the C14 shock remote adjustments are

preload to adjust ride height when weight is added

and rebound damping

Is that correct?

As a matter of curiosity, what does a C14 weigh compared to a C10?
Alan in Central Texas
2004 Connie COG 9476
2001 Ducati M750

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 08:40:50 PM »
The C14 shock is much longer than the stock C10 shock and is also longer than the ZZR shock and unless you are really a leggy SOB your going to need to also find a Lowering Rocker to go with the install.

The mounting bolts used on the C14 shock are smaller than the C10/ZZR shock by some 2 mm; the lower mounting fork on the shock is easy to drill out so that you can use the lower mounting bolt and spacer (?) from the ZZR. Most who have done the C14 shock install have simply used the smaller upper mounting bolt through the frame mount with nothing more than a flat washer on each side of the nut & bolt; this works fine. Both have the same style of remotely mounted adjustment reservoir so that requires only figuring out where you want to mount it at and at best an L type of mounting bracket.

I can vouch that the ZZR shock is night & day better than the C10 shock and I'm told that the C14 shock is night & day better than the ZZR shock.

I just did the C14 rear shock conversion a short time ago and I don't know if I would feel safe drilling out the lower mounting fork on the C14 shock to work with the bolt from the C10.   The width of the C14 lower mounting fork is smaller than the C10 shock and on the side you would have to drill out the larger hole for the C10 bolt it won't leave you with very much material left on the sides of the hole.

I chose to have a custom bushing made and use the nut and bolt from the C14.  The bushing is the same I.D. and length as the C14 bushing, with the O.D. being the size of the C10 bolt.

Here's the link to how mine went   http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,27617.0.html
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 09:28:59 PM by T Cro ® »
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 09:27:41 PM »
.... and I don't know if I would feel safe drilling out the lower mounting fork on the C14 shock to work with the bolt from the C10.   The width of the C14 lower mounting fork is smaller than the C10 shock and on the side you would have to drill out the larger hole for the C10 bolt it won't leave you with very much material left on the sides of the hole.

I chose to have a custom bushing made and use the nut and bolt from the C14.  The bushing is the same I.D. and length as the C14 bushing, with the O.D. being the size of the C10 bolt.

And that's why I said to use the bolt and spacer from a ZZR shock not the shoulder bolt as used on the C10......
Tony P. Crochet

Offline jbinaz

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 09:01:43 AM »
I also have a C14 shock ready for install,  Have not found any of Norms lowering rockers.  I am concerned about the extra ride height.  I am thinking about making my own lowering rocker,  Is there a template available as for the hole locations. I am thinking about tracing out the stock rocker and moving the shock hole in the rocker down to adjust for the extra length of the shock. Would this be correct?   I may install the shock and see how it is, I know the kick stand may be a little short with the heigth increase.   ???
COG #3441, 2012 Concours 14,
1999 Concours
2005 KLX 300R
1982 Suzuki GS 750E

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 09:09:47 AM »
Have not found any of Norms lowering rockers.  I am concerned about the extra ride height.  I am thinking about making my own lowering rocker,  Is there a template available as for the hole locations. I am thinking about tracing out the stock rocker and moving the shock hole in the rocker down to adjust for the extra length of the shock. Would this be correct?

Not to rain on anyone's parade here but it would be unfair to Norm to ask someone to template his design without asking first.
Tony P. Crochet

Offline jbinaz

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 10:04:57 AM »
T Cro;  I totally Agree, I appreciate everything you & other members have done to improve the Concours.
P.S. Your coil stick upgrade is working great.

Thanks, Jeff
COG #3441, 2012 Concours 14,
1999 Concours
2005 KLX 300R
1982 Suzuki GS 750E

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, 10:24:36 AM »
T Cro;  I totally Agree, I appreciate everything you & other members have done to improve the Concours.
P.S. Your coil stick upgrade is working great.

Thanks, Jeff

Thank you two times over.
Tony P. Crochet

Offline Uglydog56

• I'd rather be lucky than good.
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2011, 03:12:09 PM »
BTW while searching for lowering rockers, 1 1/8" is the magic number here.  I went more because I'm short and we drag peg alot.  This puts you about 1/2" up over stock.
Rick A. Cone
COG #9186
98 Connie, 76 CB400F