Author Topic: Led Turn signal bulbs  (Read 36574 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Led Turn signal bulbs
« Reply #60 on: August 27, 2016, 03:26:56 PM »
Huhmph... that was easy. Click the button at the top or bottom of the page that says "ADD BOOKMARK" (it's right next to the dark REPLY button) then click on the "My Bookmarks" button at the top of the screen. There it is.

Thanks, I see it now (although only at the top of the page).  My problem is that I was trying to figure out how to bookmark postings, not whole threads.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline DaddyFlip

« Reply #61 on: August 27, 2016, 05:14:56 PM »
If you are interested in bookmarking individual posts, and are willing to have your bookmarks live OUTSIDE of the forum, that is, in your browser, then there is an easy way. You can bookmark individual posts just like you would bookmark the homepage of this forum or any other web page.

1. Click on the title of the post you want to bookmark. The title is just to the right of the poster's name at the top of the post.
2. The web page will refresh with the post moved to the top of your browser window and you will notice that the web page title changes to include the topic and message number.
3. Use the Add Bookmark function of your browser to save the page as a bookmark. You may want to setup a separate folder in the bookmarks section of your browser dedicated to forum posts you want to save.
4. You can give these bookmarks any name you want to make them easy to identify for whatever drew YOUR attention to the thread or post. If you want to bookmark multiple posts from the same thread, make sure to give each post a unique name because your browser will use the topic title as the default bookmark name.

Very easy.
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #62 on: August 27, 2016, 07:31:47 PM »
If you are interested in bookmarking individual posts, and are willing to have your bookmarks live OUTSIDE of the forum, that is, in your browser, then there is an easy way. You can bookmark individual posts just like you would bookmark the homepage of this forum or any other web page.

Yeah, I have done that for years.... I was just trying to see if the forum could do it too.  Nope.  No big whoop
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #63 on: November 10, 2016, 07:43:03 PM »
So far I am very impressed, and for half the price the inferior bulbs were in the past.  The big question is- will they last?  That is hard to say right now.

Bad news- I noticed the right bulb was partially flickering.  I looked closely and can see there are several LEDs in the bulb that are flickering occasionally, randomly, like there is a bad connection on the board.

5 months is not a very good life at all (not even a hundred hours?)  Granted, mine are on the ENTIRE time the bike is on, since they are running lights, but still..... I ran the super-hot stock incandescent bulbs all the time too, for YEARS AND YEARS, an neither burned out.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2017, 01:33:14 PM »
Bad news- I noticed the right bulb was partially flickering.  I looked closely and can see there are several LEDs in the bulb that are flickering occasionally, randomly, like there is a bad connection on the board.

5 months is not a very good life at all (not even a hundred hours?)  Granted, mine are on the ENTIRE time the bike is on, since they are running lights, but still..... I ran the super-hot stock incandescent bulbs all the time too, for YEARS AND YEARS, an neither burned out.

Update-  It has been 4 months and no other bulb problems.  A week after writing the above, I ordered another set to have a few spares.   Yesterday I finally got around to swapping out the defective/flickering bulb with a new one.  I wrote JDM/Astar asking if they will send a replacement.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2017, 03:41:52 PM »
Update-  It has been 4 months and no other bulb problems.  A week after writing the above, I ordered another set to have a few spares.   Yesterday I finally got around to swapping out the defective/flickering bulb with a new one.  I wrote JDM/Astar asking if they will send a replacement.

And  a few days  later they wrote back saying they will send me a replacement, and without my paying to ship the defective bulb back to them.  Two days later and I have it in my hand!  So that is customer service.  +1 to ADM/Astar!  https://www.jdmastar.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2017, 06:18:08 PM »
And  a few days  later they wrote back saying they will send me a replacement, and without my paying to ship the defective bulb back to them.  Two days later and I have it in my hand!  So that is customer service.  +1 to ADM/Astar!  https://www.jdmastar.com

And now the other originally send LED bulb is flickering in exactly the same way (only the front LED emitters and not the side ones).  I suppose I should have expected that.  Contacted JDM and they requested a video and other specs which I sent them, and they said it could be heat related and are sending a replacement for that one too (at no charge and without shipping the defective bulb back).  I have a feeling the replacement bulbs will do no better, failing after 5 to 12 months.  I guess time will tell.

Offline ginzburg

« Reply #67 on: July 08, 2019, 05:26:32 PM »
Is there a better explanation as to why bike goes haywire with this 2-wire led blinker?

I saw where someone took apart a different 2-wire flasher and drew a circuit. It looked like it did have a diode built in. The mosfet also has a built in diode in the opposite direction.

Obviously there is back EMF from somewhere, but it seems like switching off a led wouldn't cause it. I thought usually this happens when switching inductive loads.

It does look like there is a 3-wire led blinker that could work. These supposedly have the advantage of starting with led on and the 2-wire starts with it off.  The 2-wire is much more common though.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #68 on: July 08, 2019, 11:33:42 PM »
I have a feeling the replacement bulbs will do no better, failing after 5 to 12 months.  I guess time will tell.

Yep, both replacement front bulbs are now occasionally, partially flickering.  But at least it was much longer than 12 months this time.  They are not designed for 100% "on" use, which I recognize.  Still, the extreme brightness is worth it to me... plus I can swap the rears to the front for more use (because it doesn't matter if the rears flicker).  I bought another set with the last round.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2019, 12:04:10 AM »
Is there a better explanation as to why bike goes haywire with this 2-wire led blinker?   I saw where someone took apart a different 2-wire flasher and drew a circuit. It looked like it did have a diode built in. The mosfet also has a built in diode in the opposite direction.  Obviously there is back EMF from somewhere, but it seems like switching off a led wouldn't cause it. I thought usually this happens when switching inductive loads.

Seems odd to me, also.  But it really isn't that much of an issue.  Only problem is if you leave the turn signal on WHILE turning off the bike, and even then, just turn off the turn signal to stop the bike from freaking.

It does look like there is a 3-wire led blinker that could work. These supposedly have the advantage of starting with led on and the 2-wire starts with it off.  The 2-wire is much more common though.

Not sure what you mean by "starting with the led on".  If that means the blinker switches the lights OFF and leaves all 4 of them "on" the rest of the time (when turn signal is off), that is inappropriate (as I have posted before).  It is improper/illegal to show yellow lights on the rear full time, and if they were switched to red bulbs, they would then de-emphasize the brake lights.  Blinking off is only a great concept for the fronts, not the rears (which is why I had to make a special circuit using a relay for the fronts only  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=2236.0 )

Offline ginzburg

« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2019, 03:17:35 PM »
"starting with the led on" means that when you press the turn signal button the light comes on right away and then it blinks off and continues to flash. It isn't on all the time.

I read somewhere that the 2-wire flashers typically start in the off portion of the cycle so there is a delay period before the light comes on. I don't know if this is actually the case or not. I ordered the 2-wire flasher. I might order the other flasher I saw with three wires.

I think that I found the right switchbacks for the front and plain amber for the back and so they should just plug in. That would be nice. They will take a while to get here.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2019, 06:00:50 PM »
"starting with the led on" means that when you press the turn signal button the light comes on right away and then it blinks off and continues to flash. [...]  I read somewhere that the 2-wire flashers typically start in the off portion of the cycle so there is a delay period before the light comes on. I don't know if this is actually the case or not. I ordered the 2-wire flasher. I might order the other flasher I saw with three wires.

My understanding:  Traditionally, it is the current flowing through the 2 wire circuit that enables the old-fashioned flashers to heat up a bimetal strip, using the light filaments to limit the current, and then break it when it gets hot, turning the lights off, the bimetal strip cools and bends back, then completes the circuit again.  This would require the lights to come on immediately when the turn signal switch is first activated, no?

Offline ginzburg

« Reply #72 on: July 09, 2019, 11:34:40 PM »
I thought the original flasher is solid state, but maybe it is the old style. I thought all led flashers would be solid state, but I don't know.

I found the video and comment here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWQCSdkiYXg

Harryoldhippy says

"Trouble with electronic 2-wire units is the flash cycle starts with the 'off' condition. Old mechanicals start the cycle with the 'on' condition. This half second delay can be life and death on a bike. It's much easier to design electronically for 3-wire units to begin the cycle with the 'on' condition than 2-wire though I don't know if they all perform like this. Best to check out the units before slotting in if this is important to you. With a modicum of gumption It's easy enough wiring in a 3-wire -- some with load/speed adjusters have bulb failure fast-flash alert even with LEDs."

This 2-wire relays advertises that it turns on right away and that some have a delay. So I guess it is really something to look out for.

https://www.customled.com/products/elfr-1-electronic-led-flasher-relay

The one I ordered is what I think is the really common one that is shaped more like a box. I don't know if it will have a delay or not. It looks like the one that needs the diode fix. That would be ok, but I sort of want to get one that just plugs in.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #73 on: July 10, 2019, 05:34:05 AM »
I thought the original flasher is solid state,

No, it is bimetal.  That is why it doesn't work properly with LED.

but maybe it is the old style. I thought all led flashers would be solid state, but I don't know.

Yes, LED and most modern flashers (even those without LED or a mix) are solid state.  Many vehicles are now ECU controlled (so there is no "flasher").

The one I ordered is what I think is the really common one that is shaped more like a box. I don't know if it will have a delay or not. It looks like the one that needs the diode fix. That would be ok, but I sort of want to get one that just plugs in.

Yeah, I wish mine had the diodes.  I suppose I could add one, but I didn't know about it at first and now I am too lazy. :)

Offline ginzburg

« Reply #74 on: July 23, 2019, 05:51:27 PM »
It looks like the led bulbs are the source of the inductance. They appear to have a switched inductor to control the current.  I would think  the diode should be from the load to ground as a flyback diode. The diode in series doesn't make much sense to me. It sounded like it was done through trial and error so that is why I am looking for an alternative.

Aside from the obvious method of adding a wire with a diode to ground, is there somewhere else this could be easily accomplished? It looks like the third wire is a ground. I thought it was something else though. That might be the easiest place to jump the diode across. I will need to look at the actual plug when I get finally get it.