Author Topic: What kind of fuel line?  (Read 6166 times)

Offline Jet86

• California
What kind of fuel line?
« on: February 15, 2014, 12:51:47 PM »
I am using Tygon fuel line and last summer it kinked so i want to try something else, whats the best kind of fuel line? should i just get oem? or will line from napa auto parts do ok?

1986 California Connie 87k and counting

Offline Cholla

• Arena
Re: What kind of fuel line?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 01:10:38 PM »
Go to the parts store and axe for fuel line for fuel injection.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 02:47:16 PM »
Go to the parts store and axe for fuel line for fuel injection.

I prefer to go to the parts store and ask for 5/16" or 7 mm rubber fuel line; it does not kink as easily as tygon does...
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 04:25:49 PM »
tygon or silicone. I've been running silicone helix for years, it could kink but I have a spring around it to prevent that. If you buy a hose that's to stiff, like EFI hose, you'll have difficulty getting in on the plastic T between the carbs, and busting that T is not an option. Steve

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 05:20:20 PM »
The hose i have on now was bought from cycle gear and said helix on the package but i never could find a proper spring and it still has a visible kink in the line.

I went to auto-zone and ask for 5/16 fuel line and i don't see any thing about EFI on the line but did see 5/16 7.9mm

I will probably buy some more helix line just have in my tool box if the other line don't work out.

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 01:28:24 AM »
My package from Murph $176 Ouch!' came in the other day and includes new air boots + springs carb kit & throttle cables.

The carbs are coming off because i have no choice, #1 carb is leaking to much gas' plus the plastic housing on my throttle cable broke off so at the very least i will be replacing all the bowl gaskets and both throttle cables.

Question, can i replace the float needles without needing to set fuel level?
I ask this because if the bowl gaskets are dissolving then i figure the rubber needle tips are as well or will be soon.

right now i'm sure the fuel level is spot on or very close cause the bike runs very good at all throttle twistings, good enough for me anyway.

This is only a temporary fix, i still plan on sending them to steve but for now i need to stop the leak.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 04:34:53 AM »

Normally I would say that you "should" check/set the fuel levels if replacing the needles but if this is just a stop gap until you can afford to get them work done proerly then by all means do what you got to do. I don't think it will throw the level off by much if at all. Besides all you need is some small clear tubing that will fit the drain tube to check the fuel levels with bowls 1 & 4 being easy to diddle with on the bike; I've done 2 & 3 on the bike and they are very diffacult at best.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 07:36:54 AM »
Gee, no problem here putting the FI line on the inlet or on the plastic Briggs fuel shutoff valve.
Hmm....

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 12:42:01 PM »
My package from Murph $176 Ouch!' came in the other day and includes new air boots + springs carb kit & throttle cables.

The carbs are coming off because i have no choice, #1 carb is leaking to much gas' plus the plastic housing on my throttle cable broke off so at the very least i will be replacing all the bowl gaskets and both throttle cables.

I ask this because if the bowl gaskets are dissolving then i figure the rubber needle tips are as well or will be soon.

right now i'm sure the fuel level is spot on or very close cause the bike runs very good at all throttle twistings, good enough for me anyway.

This is only a temporary fix, i still plan on sending them to steve but for now i need to stop the leak.

My personal opinion, and note I say MY opinion, is that you just spent a bunch of money (correctly, you didn't get burned) to FIX problems.
Doing any single part as a temporary Fix, is a waste of time..... when do you expect to complete the job?
By the time you replace a single item in the list, and get back to doing the completion, the first item may be compromised already.....

the time spent, and the frustration to piece-part-fix this "just to get running is moot, and wasteful.

as for can you actually just replace float needles, or a couple (?), expecting the floats to be correct, ain't happenin'. The new K&N needles you have definatly have a stronger spring under the pin, and will simply not deflect the same as the ones currently in there. You will likley be starving those carbs a bit. You also are chancing a failure on any carb you don't swap needles on...it's a trade off on integrety of work, vs satisfaction.
Trying to get away with doing this with the carbs on the bike is silly also, but as you bought new boots (excellent forethought!!!), simply rip all the carbs off and do them complete, one time... ;)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 12:44:28 PM »
or on the plastic Briggs fuel shutoff valve.Hmm....

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :popcorn: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 04:10:43 PM »
And what is so funny about that? It works well and it is only about $5.

And I found the K&L needles wouldn't work. Used OEM and problem solved.

enim57

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2014, 04:28:23 PM »
I used automotive reinforced fuel line once but it weaped at the carburetor inlet (didn't use a clamp) so I went back to the softer motorcycle hose. Kinking is not a problem if length and routing are correct.

Regards, Russell

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2014, 05:31:32 PM »
This is only my opinion but i have to disagree with your opinion on this comment.

"the time spent, and the frustration to piece-part-fix this "just to get running is moot, and wasteful."

If the bike is not kept running it will be towed, i live in an apartment complex with rules.
How is replacing bowl gaskets moot and wasteful, letting it continue leaking gas is wasteful & dangerous.

sure i would like to at least use all the parts that came in the carb kit and that's why i was asking questions,
but if doing so might make the bike not start then the least i can do is replace the bowl gaskets to stop the leak and allow me more time to save money to have them fixed the right way the first time. yeah i know its probably just gonna cost me more money.

Keep in mind this is my only transportation.

The money i spend with Murph has always been worth it, I know it sounded like i was complaining,
He don't sell the K&L kits anymore, got this from his site "We have replaced the K&L carb rebuild kit due to recurring quality issues".

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2014, 09:39:35 AM »
I didn't mean to sound like I was scolding ya, it's just that to do the gaskets correctly, the carbs need to come off... once off, the rest of the stuff is an hour or so for a trained carbie guru, and an untrained person should be able to get it done in 2-3 more hours easily, the effort is worth the time. it's an afternoon job at most.

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2014, 11:59:39 AM »
Well i guess i just need to get the carbs off and take it from there, i was planning on cleaning the gunk off them then bring them in my apartment to look them over better and take my time and pics befor i start tearing them down, i wasn't going to take them off the rack cause if i do then i need to place another order with Murph for the Fuel Rail O-ring Kit and maybe other stuff. I already plan spending a full day or 2-3 days if need be.

i dont have a stand for the carbs so it would be hard to set the fuel level.

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2014, 03:45:10 PM »
I'm going to start a new thred about carb cleaning.

enim57

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2014, 04:00:05 PM »
i dont have a stand for the carbs so it would be hard to set the fuel level.
You don't need a carb stand. I did mine by hand and used the depth guage of a vernier caliper to set the float height. Tilt the carbs over far enough until the float just touches the valve (about 20 degrees) and then measure. See page 2-9 of the service manual.

Regards, Russell

Offline JDM

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2014, 06:12:32 PM »
MoB, you must be getting soft in your old age. I've seen you around here for at least 10 years and I have never known you to worry about this before and I quote "I didn't mean to sound like I was scolding ya." It's sad day. Hell, sometimes we need scolding, especially when we are not paying attention and you are trying to help someone. MoB, thanks for all the years. JD 
If you have seen heaven, I am sure something scared the hell out of you.

Offline Jet86

• California
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2014, 06:33:16 PM »
teehe yeah i thought he was gonna come back and hammer me but maybe he is seeing that my situation is a little unique, I know i'm not the only one who has a connie and  lives in apartments with strict rules but anyway i still value his opinion even if i don't always agree with it, over the past his postings has helped me many times with fixing things on my bike even when the post wasn't to me but helping others.

Thanks MOB for not dropping the hammer, oops wait here it comes RUN...  :o