Author Topic: My least favorite part of my C-14 has now let me down, KIPASS failure  (Read 31160 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: My least favorite part of my C-14 has now let me down
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2012, 04:28:39 AM »
Guys, weapons discussions are in another board 'The Range'.  Please continue there.  We're talking KIPASS issues here.  I'm not going to entertain any more posts on that subject in this thread.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?board=13.0
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Restless

Re: My least favorite part of my C-14 has now let me down, KIPASS failure
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2012, 06:02:00 AM »
Good thread from "another" forum on this topic: http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,17415.msg64795.html#msg64795 Pics and explination on how to perform preventive maintenance on our favorite part of the bike...FWIW...YMMV.   ;)

Best wishes to the OP for a quick recovery and getting her back on the road with minimal waiting!  :chugbeer:
2010 Connie w/ABS

"Why is there never enough time to do the job right the first time but always enough time to do it over?"

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2012, 08:27:37 AM »
48k miles, 4.5 years, every time I fill up the Stove knob comes out and opens my gas tank filler.
I rarely use the side bags but have had a key cut for those.

I like the fact that I can put my gloves on indoors and then head out.
I like that fact that I can't drop the keys in the fairing.
I like the fact that I can lock the bike and walk away without having to take my gloves off and fiddle around to put the keys in a pocket, from which they may be stolen.

KiPass is a good security system.
Is it perfect, no.
Is it better than keys, even chipped security keys,... yes.
If it fails on you it's a PITA, but so is losing yer keys, or having them stolen, or dropping them in the fairing.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2012, 09:51:56 AM »
Guys, weapons discussions are in another board 'The Range'.  Please continue there.  We're talking KIPASS issues here.  I'm not going to entertain any more posts on that subject in this thread.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?board=13.0

Absolutely correct, Jim.

What if KiPass was done with fingerprint recognition or a retina scan?   ;D

Just kidding of course.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2012, 01:56:56 PM »
And we think we have problems now...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Tremainiac

« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2012, 02:08:35 PM »
Absolutely correct, Jim.

What if KiPass was done with fingerprint recognition or a retina scan?   ;D

Get reflashed at your nearest Police station...  :o
Hey mister, my sister has a Harley 'just' like yours!!
2009 Concours 14, 2003 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
1980 Honda CM400 street tracker, Grubee Skyhawk

Offline lolife

« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2012, 03:31:52 PM »
I called the dealer to inquire about my bike & they said Kaw is sending a "spring kit" to replace some of the inner springs in the switch.  They said they've had a few instances but nothing near a recall. 

The dealer couldn't tell me the details of the "spring kit" b/c they hadn't received the parts yet or ever replaced the insides of the switch.  They did say they disassembled my switch & couldn't visually see anything wrong with the switch. 

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2012, 06:37:51 PM »
All it is is a coil spring- it looks like something out of a retractable ball point pen. The replacement is heavier (has more force) than the original.

The KiPass activation switch is nothing more than a push button switch (technically called a momentary contact, normally open switch) that is hidden under and operated by the main ignition switch being pressed down. Occasionally the activation switch sticks in the down position and KiPass shuts down after a short time to prevent the battery from being drained. That is the entire problem- nothing more than a sticking switch worth about $0.04. And the 'fix' is just as simple- a stronger spring to return the switch back to the off position with more force.

In the really early models there was some evidence of a burr on the plunger of the switch but I have not heard anything about that being the case in a long time.

Brian

I called the dealer to inquire about my bike & they said Kaw is sending a "spring kit" to replace some of the inner springs in the switch.  They said they've had a few instances but nothing near a recall. 

The dealer couldn't tell me the details of the "spring kit" b/c they hadn't received the parts yet or ever replaced the insides of the switch.  They did say they disassembled my switch & couldn't visually see anything wrong with the switch.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

ang

« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2012, 07:14:00 AM »
Lolife, what is the name of your dealer, I want to inquire about the spring kit.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2012, 07:22:38 AM »
The mad pow-ah of KiPass deserves more than 4 pages
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline lolife

« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2012, 07:25:30 AM »
Lolife, what is the name of your dealer, I want to inquire about the spring kit.

Its Anderson Powersports in Anderson SC. Their number is 864-225-0651. The guy in the service dept is named Kyle.

My real name is Michael Myers. He wont have a clue who lolife is.

Flathead

« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2012, 02:16:43 PM »
Its Anderson Powersports in Anderson SC. Their number is 864-225-0651. The guy in the service dept is named Kyle.

Surprised you didn't choose 'Halloween' for a handle LOL  ;D ;D

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2012, 03:04:32 PM »
What has the world come to.
This is a Kipass thread right?
Has anyone called to make sure the Capn' is alive?
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2012, 03:35:16 PM »
I bet if you show up at the dealer wearing a face mask they will finish your bike a lot sooner....  ;D

Sorry- you are probably more than sick of having your chain pulled about that by now.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2012, 03:40:16 PM »
Yeah, Bob is alive and well but doesn't frequent these parts anymore, at least not using any name we would recognize. He is quite active over on the other site though. Go over there and mention KiPass.... different site, same old reaction.  ;)

Brian

What has the world come to.
This is a Kipass thread right?
Has anyone called to make sure the Capn' is alive?

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2012, 03:47:19 PM »
Yeah I noticed.
THen someone made his year and asked for a comparison between the C14 and the Feejer.
Of course, he wrote a book.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2012, 10:50:34 PM »
Yeah I noticed.
THen someone made his year and asked for a comparison between the C14 and the Feejer.
Of course, he wrote a book.
Probably broke the Guinness world record for exclaimation marks in a single post too.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2012, 04:24:01 AM »
Mentioning Guinness got my attention.. :P    Bob has a right to be touchy on that subject after what he went through.  I miss him here.

Offline Axxman

« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2012, 05:22:43 AM »
Yeah, Bob is alive and well but doesn't frequent these parts anymore, at least not using any name we would recognize. He is quite active over on the other site though. Go over there and mention KiPass.... different site, same old reaction.  ;)

Brian

So true... Bob could write 4 pages about Kipass all by himself :deadhorse: :rotflmao:

But whatever you do, Don't ask him about Amsoil....
Jay
09 Concours 14 ABS
Candy Diamond Red

Offline lolife

« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2012, 04:40:44 PM »

If you call them, I'm curious as to what they would say to you.  If you don't mind, would you post how they treated you?  I've had really ups & downs with this dealer.  Problem is they're only a few miles from the house but I've had excellent service & really crappy service out of them & nothing in between.

Surprised you didn't choose 'Halloween' for a handle LOL  ;D ;D

I bet if you show up at the dealer wearing a face mask they will finish your bike a lot sooner....  ;D

Sorry- you are probably more than sick of having your chain pulled about that by now.

Brian

It gets a little old but honestly I've dealt with my entire life. Every debit card purchase & phone call I make where I have to say my name, I get the same Halloween serial killer comments.  I've learned to live with it & make the most out of it.  I usually humor the person & move on.  Only time it gets really annoying is Halloween night.  My home phone blows up with prank calls.  Its my fault b/c I shouldn't have my name in the phone book as Michael Myers anyway.   :D

What's funny is I never get the comedian Mike Myers.  You'd think someone would go all Austin Powers on me but its never happened.   :o