Author Topic: MCE Canyon Cage Group Buy thru May 31st!  (Read 116283 times)

Offline freebird6

• In a big country...
Re: MCE Canyon Cage Group Buy thru May 31st!
« Reply #260 on: August 06, 2012, 04:25:30 PM »
Ever heard of a long shot, a really big long shot, well how about this then, if anybody is coming to the good old UK this year and wants to bring me a front set of Canyon bars for my GTR then I would be one happy camper, of course i will pay in advance but its the postage (shipping) which kills it.

Told you it was a long shot didnt I?

Alan
(In sunny Oxford)

Alan,

Not such a long shot. My son played pro basketball in the BBL at Worcester last season. I came over with a half empty bag last year in anticipation of bringing home some of the excellent Kawasaki GA gear (textile jackets and such)  you guys get over there. Would not have been much of a stretch to me at all to grab a set and hoist them over for you but alas he is off to the top league is Switzerland this year. Once I figure out flights this fall I will check back here and see if I fly through there. Would be more than happy to help you out if the opportunity is there.
2008 Concours
2007 Mean Streak
99 r1100rt

Offline lvldcook

« Reply #261 on: September 22, 2012, 10:31:20 PM »
Inb4 someone asks "Why the difference?": We made the 2008-2009 Canyon Cage 7/8" so it would match the Saddle Bag Guards we've been making for that bike for years now. We changed the Saddle Bag Guards to 1" in 2010 so we decided to make the Canyon Cage for that bike that size as well so it would also match. There is almost no variance in strength though because both bars have the same wall thickness which has more of an effect on tubing strength than overall diameter does.
Hi Ryan - As an mechanical engineer, I thought I'd respond to the "no variance in strength" remark. It depends on what you mean by "strength" - if you're talking about deflection under load or resistance to breakage. I'll do some calculations for tubing under bending loads.
For deflection, the amount of deflection between the two different tubing sizes is governed by the moments of inertia of the two different tubings.
For a round cross section, moment of inertia is pi x d^4 / 64. For tubing the moment of inertia is the outside moment of inertia minus the inside moment of inertia. The ratio of the moments of inertia for the two different tubing sizes can be shown as the following equation:

1" tubing MOI / 7/8" tubing MOI = (D1out^4 - D1in^4) / (D2out^4 - D2in^4)
    (where 1 refers to 1" and 2 refers to 7/8")

If we assume ".125" wall thickness = (1^4 - .75^4) / (.875^4 - .625^4)
                                    = .683 / .433
                                    = 1.576
            For .10" wall thickness = (1^4 - .8^4) / (.875^4 - .675^4)
                                    = .590 / .378
                                    = 1.56 (about the same)

This means that 1" diameter tubing is about 1.5 times stiffer than 7/8" tubing and will bend quite a bit less under bending load.

For stress (resistance to breakage), the highest stresses in bending are at the outside of the tubing and are calculated as (M x c / I) where M is the moment loading on the tubing
                                               c is the radius of the tubing and
                                               I is the moment of inertia (see above).

The moment M is the same for the two tubings (same loading situation), whereas there are differences for the two tubings for c and I. The ratio of c for the two tubings is the ratio of the two diameters or 7/8. The ratio of I was calculated above for the deflection case.
The ratio of stress for the two tubings is (c2 / I2) / (c1 / I1)
                                         = (7/8" / .433) / (1" / .683)
                                         = 2.02 / 1.464
                                         = 1.38
Therefore, the 7/8" tubing will see about 1.4 times greater bending stress than the 1" tubing under the same load.

The Canyon Cage design avoids a lot of bending loads towards the front as there is a nice triangular arrangement of the steel with the interior cross-brace going from the cage up to the radiator mount. From the middle of the cage on each side and going back to the rear attachment at the engine mount, the cage would see more bending loads upon a tipover, etc. I would expect the highest stresses for the cage right to be near the engine  mount and where the most permanent deflection would occur if static and/or dynamic loads on the cage exceeded the yield strength of the steel used. Is this what the cage designers saw during functional tests of the cage?
2010 Concours C14 ABS
1973 CT90
1975 CT90
1981 C70 Passport

Offline Snype

« Reply #262 on: September 23, 2012, 12:23:28 AM »
is there going to be another group buy soon??? What is the link for a 2012 c-14??

Snype

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #263 on: September 23, 2012, 05:12:58 AM »
Hi Ryan - As an mechanical engineer, I thought I'd respond to the "no variance in strength" remark. It depends on what you mean by "strength" - if you're talking about deflection under load or resistance to breakage. I'll do some calculations for tubing under bending loads.
For deflection, the amount of deflection between the two different tubing sizes is governed by the moments of inertia of the two different tubings.
For a round cross section, moment of inertia is pi x d^4 / 64. For tubing the moment of inertia is the outside moment of inertia minus the inside moment of inertia. The ratio of the moments of inertia for the two different tubing sizes can be shown as the following equation:

1" tubing MOI / 7/8" tubing MOI = (D1out^4 - D1in^4) / (D2out^4 - D2in^4)
    (where 1 refers to 1" and 2 refers to 7/8")

If we assume ".125" wall thickness = (1^4 - .75^4) / (.875^4 - .625^4)
                                    = .683 / .433
                                    = 1.576
            For .10" wall thickness = (1^4 - .8^4) / (.875^4 - .675^4)
                                    = .590 / .378
                                    = 1.56 (about the same)

This means that 1" diameter tubing is about 1.5 times stiffer than 7/8" tubing and will bend quite a bit less under bending load.

For stress (resistance to breakage), the highest stresses in bending are at the outside of the tubing and are calculated as (M x c / I) where M is the moment loading on the tubing
                                               c is the radius of the tubing and
                                               I is the moment of inertia (see above).

The moment M is the same for the two tubings (same loading situation), whereas there are differences for the two tubings for c and I. The ratio of c for the two tubings is the ratio of the two diameters or 7/8. The ratio of I was calculated above for the deflection case.
The ratio of stress for the two tubings is (c2 / I2) / (c1 / I1)
                                         = (7/8" / .433) / (1" / .683)
                                         = 2.02 / 1.464
                                         = 1.38
Therefore, the 7/8" tubing will see about 1.4 times greater bending stress than the 1" tubing under the same load.

The Canyon Cage design avoids a lot of bending loads towards the front as there is a nice triangular arrangement of the steel with the interior cross-brace going from the cage up to the radiator mount. From the middle of the cage on each side and going back to the rear attachment at the engine mount, the cage would see more bending loads upon a tipover, etc. I would expect the highest stresses for the cage right to be near the engine  mount and where the most permanent deflection would occur if static and/or dynamic loads on the cage exceeded the yield strength of the steel used. Is this what the cage designers saw during functional tests of the cage?

So, basically, if you drop both bikes on the same surface while sitting still both bars will protect your bike. 

If you crash at speed there is a greater chance the bars on the earlier models will bend before the bars on the later models, but if you crash at speed the bars will be the least of your worries.

Does that sum up what you were saying with all the formulas?
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline lvldcook

« Reply #264 on: September 23, 2012, 07:45:32 AM »
So, basically, if you drop both bikes on the same surface while sitting still both bars will protect your bike. 

If you crash at speed there is a greater chance the bars on the earlier models will bend before the bars on the later models, but if you crash at speed the bars will be the least of your worries.

Does that sum up what you were saying with all the formulas?

No. I didn't jump to conclusions. I just responded to the statement both bars are about "the same strength".
2010 Concours C14 ABS
1973 CT90
1975 CT90
1981 C70 Passport

Offline RyanMCEnterprises

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #265 on: September 24, 2012, 10:36:09 AM »
Is this what the cage designers saw during functional tests of the cage?

Our testing showed that both guards (regardless of tubing diameter) held up very well to a variety of situations that the guards were designed to withstand. There may be a small variance in tubing strength between the 1" and 7/8" material we used (which is precisely what you showed) but that variance in strength won't come in to play during any normal riding situation. Also, you have to take into account the guard as a whole because the entirety of the guard actually adds strength. The fact that there are supports and gussets also strengthens the guard as a whole. I totally see where you're coming from but according to our testing, while taking all things into account, both sets of guards do a very good job of protecting the bike during typical tip-overs. I'm not sure exactly what you were getting at with your post but tubing strength was definitely taken into account when designing/manufacturing these parts. If the diameter alone was enough to significantly weaken the guard, we would have made all of the guards with the same tubing. However, since we found the variance in strength insignificant (once everything is taken into account, that is) we decided there was no down side to having both types. I hope that addressed your concern!

is there going to be another group buy soon??? What is the link for a 2012 c-14??

Snype

Sorry, Snype, we won't be doing another Group Buy for these anytime soon. If you'd like to order them you can send me a PM or call us toll free at 866.886.2368. The Canyon Cages are $300 for the 2010-2012 Connie and $275 for the 2008-2009.
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline Snype

« Reply #266 on: September 25, 2012, 12:25:40 AM »
When is the next group buy?

Snype

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #267 on: September 25, 2012, 04:15:03 AM »
See the post before yours.....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Xelvic

« Reply #268 on: September 25, 2012, 08:08:01 AM »
I have these on order. Do the new instructions come with torque specs. If not can someone tell me what they are?
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14

Offline Snype

« Reply #269 on: September 27, 2012, 06:54:41 AM »
Sorry for the double post.. Late night posting and multiple threads <smile>

Thanks for the info!
Snype

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #270 on: September 27, 2012, 11:32:14 AM »
I have attempted to clarify the question of torque specs but nobody has really confirmed anything.  The specs in the manual do not correlate with the specs that I was given by Ryan.   I posted the manual info for reference.  If you search you will find my post.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=9386.180

Offline PCPeteUK

• RBLR Riders
« Reply #271 on: March 03, 2013, 04:32:14 AM »
Sooo many pages and I'm confused (no change there) so going back to scratch -

I want to buy a set of front and rear engine guards (canyon cages?) for my 2011 GTR1400 - what is the price with shipping to the UK please.
I have looked at your website and the ones I like are...
Front - #1400-110
Rear - #1400-310

Thanks in advance...
Rgds...Pete
Paddle faster, I think I hear banjo's...

Offline RyanMCEnterprises

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #272 on: March 03, 2013, 07:25:36 AM »
Sooo many pages and I'm confused (no change there) so going back to scratch -

I want to buy a set of front and rear engine guards (canyon cages?) for my 2011 GTR1400 - what is the price with shipping to the UK please.
I have looked at your website and the ones I like are...
Front - #1400-110
Rear - #1400-310

Thanks in advance...

Hey there! My name is Ryan and I can help you get an oder placed, no problem. However, I'm not going to be in the office until tomorrow (we're closed Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays) so I can't calculate the exact shipping cost for you although, for those two parts going across the pond, it's usually in the $100 range. As for the parts themselves, the #1400-110 is $365 and the #1400-310 is $175. However, you may want to look into the #1400-410 (the Canyon Cage) as well, it's been very popular among civilian riders and it's a bit less than the #1400-110 at $300.

Anyway, I can get your order put in tomorrow morning for you. You can either PM or email your address to me and then we can discuss payment options. I can't check inventory right now so I'm not sure if those parts are in stock. If they aren't, there's no need to pay until your order is ready to ship. Thanks and I hope to hear from you soon!
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline PCPeteUK

• RBLR Riders
« Reply #273 on: March 04, 2013, 03:42:18 AM »
Hi Ryan - I just needed pricing currently as I need to persuade my long haired general to release funds before I can order....
I chose the #1400-110 as it had the mounting points for the additional spotlights that I salvaged from my Goldwing before the trade in to the GTR.
Rgds...Pete

Offline PCPeteUK

• RBLR Riders
« Reply #274 on: March 29, 2013, 05:59:58 AM »
Hi Ryan - PM sent....
Rgds...Pete

Offline RGOODIN66

« Reply #275 on: May 27, 2015, 11:57:31 AM »
I am interested
2014 c14

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #276 on: May 27, 2015, 12:23:55 PM »
The group buy is long over.  If you want them you need to contact Ryan directly..or hope they come up used somewhere.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.