Author Topic: Sena SMH-10 Headset upgrade  (Read 69267 times)

Offline Y0ssarian

• Arena
  • 97% chance of being hit by a piano
Sena SMH-10 Headset upgrade
« on: June 29, 2011, 11:27:24 AM »
   If you have a Sena SMH-10 Bluetooth headset you might be interested in this. The original SMH-10's had a round charging port/jack, weren't firmware-upgradeable and could only link to 4 other Bluetooth devices. The newer SMH-10's have a micro-USB connection for charging & firmware updates, and can (theoretically, at least) link to an unlimited number of Bluetooth devices. If you have the older model, Sena has an upgrade available until August 31 for $49. The upgrade kit consists of a new main unit, micro-USB type cigarette charger and micro-USB cable. There are 2 ways to do the upgrade:

1. Order the upgrade kit and send them your unit; when they get it they'll ship out the upgrade kit
2. Order the upgrade kit and let them put a hold on $100 from your plastic-money; when you get the new one, ship your old one to them and they'll release the $100 when they get it.

The ordering page for the upgrade kit is here. I just ordered mine; I'll update this thread when I get the new one.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 04:11:00 AM by VirginiaJim »
The words of the prophets are written on the cylinder walls.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Sena SMH-10 Headset upgrade
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 11:36:01 AM »
Gee Willikers!  Thanks!   :goodpost:

Just ordered two kits....

« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 01:41:30 PM by VirginiaJim »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Tactical_Mik

• Lamh laidir an Uachtar
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 05:04:37 PM »
I'll have to remember to do this in three weeks after I get back from my 10 day excursion.
T.S.R.

Offline simply40

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 07:42:33 PM »
Thanks for the info.

Offline Boonedawg

• Arena
    • Jet Associates East
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 08:19:24 PM »
Got mine today! firmware upgradeable....so far I like them.  We'll see tomorrow

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 04:27:03 AM »
Got mine today! firmware upgradeable....so far I like them.  We'll see tomorrow

Did they come with a new helmet baseplate or was it just the unit itself?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline cablebandit

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 06:48:15 AM »
You just exchange the main unit and charging cables.

Offline Boonedawg

• Arena
    • Jet Associates East
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2011, 09:13:00 AM »
there was a baseplate however I didn't use it.  I rode with it today, AWESOME!!!!  Bluetooth phone (iphone) worked flawlessly, and I plugged my Ipod into it as well, great sound was cruising 80-90 mph with no problems in an Icon Airframe.  My Black 2011 just got even faster with tunes!!! 

I have to give them another shout out: REVZILLA did it again $299 for the DUAL Setup with free shipping, ordered Monday afternoon, was there yesterday when I got home. TWO DAYS and SHIPPING INCLUDED / NO TAX!

UNBEATABLE!!!!

Offline scgoan

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 03:48:05 PM »
Just ordered my upgrade and sent back my old unit. Thanks for posting!!!

Offline Organdonor

• Benjammin'
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 07:36:29 PM »
Hmmmm... I sent back one of my old (bought in April!!!) units because the charging female port broke free from the circuit board. I wish I'd know they had the upgrade option. Of course, it would have been nice to have the NEW units when I got them in April!
Ben Jammin'
New London, CT
Current: 09 C14 ABS & 2 KLR650's
Past: 87 CBR1000F; 97 CBR1100XX Blackbird; 07 GL1800

Offline h2smokin

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2011, 01:31:18 PM »
I just ordered my dual kit from radioryder today. $300 plus it includes a separate bluetooth transmitter that'll work with my old non bluetooth itouch. Look forward to getting it next week

Offline scgoan

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2011, 02:44:59 PM »
Hmmmm... I sent back one of my old (bought in April!!!) units because the charging female port broke free from the circuit board. I wish I'd know they had the upgrade option. Of course, it would have been nice to have the NEW units when I got them in April!

That is interesting! That is one of the main reasons I upgraded my units. I think I was one of the first to purchase dual set from Sena, so mine were way out of warranty. Mine didn't completely break from the circuit board, but were going in that direction. I had to support the charging cable just so, to get it to charge. I'm sure it would have broken soon enough.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2011, 07:27:35 PM »
I just ordered my dual kit from radioryder today. $300 plus it includes a separate bluetooth transmitter that'll work with my old non bluetooth itouch. Look forward to getting it next week

Did you get the forum discount?

Offline h2smokin

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2011, 03:33:27 PM »
I did'nt bother with the discount. I needed the transmitter anyhow and ordered the setup via ebay. The transmitter runs about $35 anyhow and it was still free shipping. Besides I gave up waiting for a response from them. Sent email and left messages but never heard a word back. Maybe they will read this and give me a deal:)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2011, 05:09:50 PM »
What address do you send the unit(s) back to and do you need some sort of authorization to do it?

Offline cablebandit

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2011, 06:56:54 AM »
Sena Technologies, Inc.
Attn: SMH10 Upgrade Promotion
3150 Almaden Expressway #238
San Jose, CA 95118

Send a copy of your email confirmation with the old units.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2011, 08:15:32 AM »
Tanks.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2011, 04:38:13 AM »
The Sena folks aren't very communicative but they do what they say.  Sent my old units in last week (just the heads, nothing else).  They arrived this past Saturday.  Got the credit memo yesterday.  Thoroughly impressed with them, I must say.

Going to make this sticky for the duration of the offer...

Offline cablebandit

Re: Sena SMH-10 Headset upgrade until August 31, 2011
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2011, 07:42:47 AM »
Now I have to wonder if they are going to charge for the firmware upgrade for the new units to actually work like the old ones did.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Sena SMH-10 Headset upgrade until August 31, 2011
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2011, 08:52:41 AM »
I guess we'll see...