Author Topic: How hot is it?  (Read 1273 times)

Offline Conrad

How hot is it?
« on: July 20, 2019, 07:21:25 AM »
Yesterday at 3:22p my weather station reported a heat index of 124f.  :o

Ambient temp was 95f with 80% rh and a dew point of 84f.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 07:53:17 AM by Conrad »
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
Re: How hot is it?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 07:32:54 AM »

Hot enough to boil a monkey's bum.  (Quote from the Monty Python Australian philosopher's skit).  G'day Bruce!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 08:41:42 AM »
Here it is supposed to be 100F (actual) today AND tomorrow.  My HVAC system is 18 years old and not working so well.  Getting quotes now to replace it.....

Trane variable compressor 3 ton SEER18 + 80%80KBTU gas furnace...  wait for it... average of $13,000!!  My last system, same size, SEER12 but not variable, INCLUDING new ductwork, was $7500.  WTF happened???

Anyway, I have to "prechill" my house now, so when I wake up, I change it from 76F to 72F (it never makes it to 72) and wear warm clothes until noon.  Usually 81 to 85 by late afternoon inside :(

It is already 92 and 60%RH outside at 10:40am.  I am in trouble...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 11:23:17 AM »
60%  ????  that's almost desert dry

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2019, 12:26:33 PM »
yesterday we hit 95* w/ 58%rh, "real feel" was 105*F...
violent storms mid night, and early morn, mega rain,
now we are back up to 90*, 58% rh again, looking at a high of maybe 92* today...

and this is on the Shore of Lake Erie...in Ohio,. man... tomorrow promises to be a Broiler ride to the national Rally in Williamsport Pa. argggg...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2019, 03:46:46 PM »
60%  ????  that's almost desert dry

Not even close.  With the sun shining and 92F ambient, 60% isn't a comfortable morning.  Last night it was near 90%.  Hasn't rained in several days.

Anyway, we did hit 100F at about 1pm and it stayed that way for a couple of hours until clouds moved in and it dropped to 98F, which it still is.  Inside, I am at 81F, the compressor has been on, 100%, since 8am.  A big part of my problem is that my great room ceiling is not insulated.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2019, 04:30:26 PM »
95F, 70% RH. Running on small window A/C units (house still not ready for mini-splits) and they ain't makin' the trip. House is up to 80F and climbing.

And now for the 'ironical' part: I do have a much larger window unit but it is in the barn, and it is much, much too hot to be installing A/C.  :o :rotflmao:

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2019, 05:28:26 PM »
I'm just glad the house we currently live in, can pretty much freeze ya out in the summer... correctly sized unit for sure, and when i go inside,and back out again, my glasses steam up..
Old house in Va., was so under air powered that we could never get the temps below 80 in summer, nor above 70 in the winter.. cheap bastiches we rented from, built it on a shoestring budget, lived there for 20 years, and never put $0.01 back into it.. finally the unit blew during  lightning strike, and even when they installed new condensor/compressor, they were only allowed to max the size based on the rest of the system... never any joy there... I went to RWTW iirc '05, alone, during a heat wave there..high 90's,  when i got home, wife had gone out, bought 2 window units, and installed them herself... OMG.. I can't fathom her doing it, but when I walked into the house, and it was at 70*.. I was very happy...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline zrx mitch

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2019, 07:59:10 PM »
Just an average day here in Houston. Try commuting across town, 45 miles, at 5pm and then spending a cople of hours mowing/trimming etc.  :salute:
IBA #18591

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2019, 09:32:40 PM »
Just an average day here in Houston. Try commuting across town, 45 miles, at 5pm

I can deal with hot + sun + moving.  What I can't deal with is hot + sun + NOT moving.  I thought I was going to stroke out several times with the tunnel or other accident backups.... or even at really long lights.  Took the bike 30 miles to a friend's early evening, sun + 95+ but was moving the whole way (mesh jacket/gloves, cut down windscreen) and was warm but fine.

Oh, it is 11:30p and the AC system finally hit the target 76F :(  Just in time for me to turn on the large dehumidifier for overnight (which spews out heat).  Just can't wait to get my electric bill for this month...

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2019, 06:09:51 AM »
7:30 AM and the temp. is past 80F. Took a few (sweaty) minutes and swapped out a 6K BTW window unit for a larger one, I think it is 12K BTU. The small ones (two 6K units) were already losing ground and the house temp. was rising. Now it is dropping so we <may> be able to hold mid- 70s today. Outside temp. is headed for 100F or close :-(

And of course we still have the smaller unit and available windows.

Man, I feel bad for the poor bearings in the electric co.'s meter on my house......  :o ::)

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conrad

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2019, 07:58:49 AM »
Here it is supposed to be 100F (actual) today AND tomorrow.  My HVAC system is 18 years old and not working so well.  Getting quotes now to replace it.....

Trane variable compressor 3 ton SEER18 + 80%80KBTU gas furnace...  wait for it... average of $13,000!!  My last system, same size, SEER12 but not variable, INCLUDING new ductwork, was $7500.  WTF happened???

Anyway, I have to "prechill" my house now, so when I wake up, I change it from 76F to 72F (it never makes it to 72) and wear warm clothes until noon.  Usually 81 to 85 by late afternoon inside :(

It is already 92 and 60%RH outside at 10:40am.  I am in trouble...

Why do you need a new furnace? Can't you just replace the AC section?

Wake up Max! It's 2019 and you're the only one who doesn't have a programmable thermostat!    ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2019, 08:20:01 AM »
Why do you need a new furnace? Can't you just replace the AC section?

Because they are paired and the furnace is the air handler too, which is not compatible with anything new.

Wake up Max! It's 2019 and you're the only one who doesn't have a programmable thermostat!    ;)

Hey, I have a programmable thermostat with touchscreen.  Doesn't make it work any better, though.

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2019, 09:09:30 AM »
Man, I feel bad for the poor bearings in the electric co.'s meter on my house......  :o ::)
Brian

The previous electric meter on my house had the wheel that spun around.  Really fast on days like this with the central AC and the pool pump working.  I mentioned to a friend that you could probably cut plywood on it like a table saw.   ;)

The electric company switched to new meters that are digital, do they have any bearings in them?