Author Topic: A total waste of my time....  (Read 17112 times)

238mph

A total waste of my time....
« on: September 07, 2014, 09:42:44 AM »
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 11:58:19 PM by 238mph »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: New bike, two really annoying things. any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 10:04:18 AM »
Coming off ZX-14s to my first GTR.   Two things really annoy me.  This whole FOB thing sucks.  Does anyone make a simple solution to go back to a key?

You can't disable the KIPASS system.   But like most new users, you are not used to it yet and might be using it in ways it was not intended.  It really works quite well if you give it a chance.

If, for some strange reason, you are hell-bent on "disabling" it, the only thing you could do is remove the key from the active fob and hide the fob in the dash, then remove the "stove key" from the ignition and use the smaller regular key all the time (never leaving it in the ignition).  But why?  Just put the FOB in your pocket and go.  Or do what I do and put it "permanently" in your riding jacket and never think about it again.

And how do I permanently disable this traction control crap... I've been riding/racing for 40 years, I don't need a computer baby sitting me.

(It doesn't matter how long one has been riding/racing... on the street, traction control can be a very nice safety feature.  Although I can understand why someone might want to turn it off).

UPDATE/CORRECTION:  You can turn it off each time you start the bike, but, unfortunately, Kawasaki decided to make it a non-persistent setting.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 12:41:48 PM by maxtog »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Son of Pappy

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 11:15:50 AM »
KIPASS will grow on you.  TC?  Find a lightly used Gen1, Silverdammit '08 is the fastest color anyway, so you have a head start on all the rest ;)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 12:06:49 PM »
Coming off ZX-14s to my first GTR.

Two things really annoy me.  This whole FOB thing sucks.  Does anyone make a simple solution to go back to a key?

And how do I permanently disable this traction control crap... I've been riding/racing for 40 years, I don't need a computer baby sitting me.

Question 1 - No
Question 2 - You should have purchased an 08 or 09 (no linked brakes either)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 12:28:49 PM »
The easiest way around KiPass that I know of is not to purchase a Kawasaki C-14. Only bike currently imported to America with that system (other bikes have it but they are not imported to the US).

Same thing for traction control; just avoid models that have it.

Once installed, both are quite difficult to get around without extensive effort / expense / expertise.

There are other bikes in the same class that do not have these accoutrements: the Yamaha FJR and one of several BMW's are probably closest, and now Triumph has their own sport- tourer.

Brian

Maxtog, the TC is reset every time you restart the bike and comes back on automatically...

As for the Kipass thing... I simply hate fobs... in cars, trucks whatever... I hate em, and can't stand carrying the stupid thing in my pocket.  I switch jackets all the time, so I can't just leave it there.  I would keep it on the bike if I could figure out how to use the key to start the bike...  Can you explain how that manual key works.  I use it to remove the bags but don't know how I can lock, unlock and start the bike with the key itself.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 12:40:27 PM »
Maxtog, the TC is reset every time you restart the bike and comes back on automatically...

I am sorry, I am absolutely wrong about that.  I was thinking of the linked brakes setting (high or low).  I will correct the original message.

As for the Kipass thing... I simply hate fobs... in cars, trucks whatever... I hate em, and can't stand carrying the stupid thing in my pocket.  I switch jackets all the time, so I can't just leave it there.  I would keep it on the bike if I could figure out how to use the key to start the bike...  Can you explain how that manual key works.  I use it to remove the bags but don't know how I can lock, unlock and start the bike
with the key itself.

You should read the owner's manual first, it explains it (although not terribly well).  If you were to keep the active fob on the bike, and within range, then any normal metal key that came with the bike (or a copy you make) will start the bike-  Insert it, press down, turn and press start.   When leaving the bike, remove the metal key.  BUT YOU MUST NOT LEAVE THE METAL KEY IN THE HIDDEN FOB, or there is ZERO protection from someone starting the bike without a key if they find the hidden fob.

Alternative wording:  When using KIPASS as intended, you "never" remove the stove key [metal key with huge plastic knob] from the ignition.. it just acts as a control knob and spare key [that can only be removed with the FOB in range].  But you can flip the two around.... If you place the active fob always in range, then you can switch to inserting and removing the metal key instead.  Obviously it makes more sense to use a traditional metal key in such a case instead of putting the huge stove key in your pocket.  Use one of the mini metal keys from the FOB housings for this, or have a new standard key cut from it.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 12:51:49 PM »

By the way- you are the first person I have ever seen complain about the traction control.   And yet we have had a number about not being able to completely turn off the linked brakes.... yet you didn't include that in your list of "really annoying things".  :)

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 03:05:21 PM »
Question 1 - No
Question 2 - You should have purchased an 08 or 09 (no linked brakes either)

Or a 2010 as well.

Rem :o
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 03:06:42 PM »
Nah, they're slower.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 03:32:59 PM »
If you are doing the full meal deal, figure a way to use the ZX intake tubes.  I felt that lack of air in the upper Rs limited peak power, tuner agreed.  I have a copy of the dyno chart in my ZX14 TB thread.  Big, long flat spot at the end. 

Pure speculation/guess here.  I think if you simply removed the 2 ABS rings you could disable essentially the TC and ABS. 

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2014, 04:15:44 PM »
Wow, I'm having trouble not bashing you.

Condescending, rich little ballsy fart blossem that you are comming off as. It tough to watch, and read the drivel you have posted... go smash an azz pocket on top of your gas tank, ride some wheelies, smash it up fast, and throw it away already. This sickens me reading this crap, WE ARE NOT IMPRESSED.....

Go dazzle your squid pals.

Thankz for visiting. Hope you enjoyed the first three days of you visit to the most vast knowledg database of both the ZG1400, and the ZG1000.
Think a few moments before you start asking for a reach around here, especially in the manner you started off with.

Oh, go to the official Concours Owners Group site, and throw all your b/s around there also, they moderate it heavily, so you migh not get to read opinions like the one I just wrote here.... but I'm there also.
Troll.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2014, 04:43:29 PM »
 :popcorn: This thread is gonna deliver.... :finger_fing11:

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2014, 05:04:26 PM »
Arena material possibly...we shall see. :popcorn:
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2014, 05:36:55 PM »
Arena material possibly...we shall see. :popcorn:
Has 238 been invited?

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2014, 05:39:22 PM »
Are you kidding? This thread has already delivered and may perhaps yield just a tad more. I mean I think the best parts have gone by but for a new guy, this one is doing fantastic!

Brian

:popcorn: This thread is gonna deliver.... :finger_fing11:
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2014, 05:41:31 PM »
Now Rich, that is just unnecessarily mean. I am not sure who is gonna' get the shortest end of that deal but it IS just plain mean. 

:rotflmao:

Brian

<snip>

Oh, go to the official Concours Owners Group site, and throw all your b/s around there also, they moderate it heavily, so you migh not get to read opinions like the one I just wrote here.... but I'm there also.
Troll.

Offline Racer Boy

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2014, 05:48:19 PM »
Wow, I'm having trouble not bashing you.

Condescending, rich little ballsy fart blossem that you are comming off as. It tough to watch, and read the drivel you have posted... go smash an azz pocket on top of your gas tank, ride some wheelies, smash it up fast, and throw it away already. This sickens me reading this crap, WE ARE NOT IMPRESSED.....

Go dazzle your squid pals.

Thankz for visiting. Hope you enjoyed the first three days of you visit to the most vast knowledg database of both the ZG1400, and the ZG1000.
Think a few moments before you start asking for a reach around here, especially in the manner you started off with.

Troll.

Is this necessary? The new guy was simply asking questions, and shared his opinion on some of the "features" of the bike that he doesn't like.

If his opinion doesn't match yours, do you need to blast him? I've been on the receiving end of this very unwelcoming attitude here before. I'm sure I'll get blasted again for saying this, but the feeling to a newbie on this forum is that this is a small club that really doesn't want anyone new in the club.

Anyway, welcome 238mph! I hope you can get some answers to your questions.

You may get used to the KIPASS thing. I didn't like it much when I got my bike, but after a while I got used to it, and kind of like it now. Since you don't like fobs, you may never get used to it, but almost every new car or truck has one, so they are becoming the new normal.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2014, 05:59:09 PM »
Well, it was a bit harsh but then again, along comes a new guy, buys a C-14 and then dumps all over some of the main features of the bike. Kinda' like "Hi- I am new guy and this, that and the other thing that you guys own really sux." Not really the best ice- breaker, wouldn't you agree?

Besides that, I think it rather reflects on the person who spent his / her money, totally voluntarily, on such an item that at the very least contains and is fully integrated with the very things he / she is bashing. So if everyone else is supposed to be all warm and fuzzy with the new guy, does not the 'new guy' have any responsibility not to dump all over something quite a few of us happen to like? If I went to a motorcycle forum based on 'Brand X' and vomited all over about how bad 'Brand X' was, why would I expect a warm welcome?

But hey, everyone had his / her say, including you and I, so everyone can decide for him / herself who is right, wrong, stupid, etc., etc. And the great news is that none of it has been edited, deleted or set on fire by any moderators or the forum owner simply because it is not necessary to do so.... at least not yet. Of course we have not even heard from Kirby yet and who knows what that little fella' is going to think of all of this?   ;)

Brian

Is this necessary? The new guy was simply asking questions, and shared his opinion on some of the "features" of the bike that he doesn't like.

If his opinion doesn't match yours, do you need to blast him? I've been on the receiving end of this very unwelcoming attitude here before. I'm sure I'll get blasted again for saying this, but the feeling to a newbie on this forum is that this is a small club that really doesn't want anyone new in the club.

Anyway, welcome 238mph! I hope you can get some answers to your questions.

You may get used to the KIPASS thing. I didn't like it much when I got my bike, but after a while I got used to it, and kind of like it now. Since you don't like fobs, you may never get used to it, but almost every new car or truck has one, so they are becoming the new normal.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2014, 06:17:17 PM »
Folks usually get back what they put in.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2014, 06:18:31 PM »
Such language......I for one am offended.....NOT. Yeah the NFG came off a bit harsh and brash IMHO, but hey he is who he is. MOB your post cracked me up by the way. This will be locked down soon I am sure......3...2.....1.....
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey