Author Topic: My mini Dachshund was attacked by a Rottweiler  (Read 21902 times)

Offline Walker18

• Arena
Re: My mini Dachshund was attacked by a Rottweiler
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2012, 11:10:52 PM »
Prayers sent to your little girl, Bosco. With today's advanced medical technology, she has a real fighting chance to pull through
to a full recovery. When she sees you and your wife, Bosco will have forgotten all else but her love for the two of you.
For future reference, and I hope you will never be put in this spot again, the best way to get a dog to release his clench is to
simultaneously hit his jaw sockets as strong as you can, repeatedly. This may break his jaw, but that's his choice.
COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

Offline cmoore

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2012, 04:06:44 AM »
+1 on suing her. You have a claim too. Her homeowners insurance should respond to the lawsuit. Take lots of pictures of Bosco's injuries and yours. Those Rotties are born mean as s***. I know first hand how friendly and loving Dachshunds are. Our mini "Porkchop" has yet to meet someone that he wouldn't go home with human or dog. We have a few dogs out here in the woods where we live and some are pretty darn big but thank goodness they are all even tempered and friendly. My prayers are with Bosco.
2010 C14
Dallas, Texas

Offline seajay

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2012, 06:36:06 AM »
Sorry to hear this, Conrad. My wife and I are just two of the many people pulling for Bosco and hoping for the best. Don't forget to take care of yourself, too.

Formerly owned by 2 mini-Dachshunds.
09 C14 ABS, Black

Offline Conrad

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2012, 06:50:19 AM »
Hey guys!

Thank you so much for all the prayers and well wishes. You guys are really great and the news is all good at this point.

Bosco continues to improve. She spent the day yesterday at our local vet's office. They monitored her and gave her some IV meds. She's home now but she has to be monitored so that she doesn't rip out her stitches or the drain tubes that are inside of her wounds. The emergency animal hospital used an ingenious wound drainage system that my local vet had not seen before. Bosco has three tubes sewn into her wounds and these tubes are connected to a vacuum canister that sucks out any fluids built up inside of her.

She's on oral meds now only; two pain killers and an antibiotic. She goes back to the vet tomorrow to have the drain tubes and the IV cath removed. She looks like Frankenstein with all the stitches she has. I didn't know it at the time but the Rot also bit her on her lower neck/upper chest area. She's stitched up there too. Thank God the Rot didn't get a hold of her neck and shake her.

I went to the doc's yesterday and had to have a tetanus shot and some antibiotics too.

The animal hospital took lots of pics of her injuries, so that's all documented. I have all the pics on a CD, I won't be looking at them myself. I spent the first night trying not to think about what I had seen, and you know that's impossible. I kept reliving the entire thing in my head. 

I'll tell you more about what's going on with the owner after it's settled. I don't want to talk about that part of it in case we end up in court, which after my conversation with her yesterday is looking like a good possibility.   
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2012, 06:58:12 AM »
Our county animal control officer took my report yesterday and the Rot has been deemed a 'dangerous dog'. This is the dogs first strike, thee and it's 'out'. The Rot is not allowed to be in public unless it's wearing a muzzle.

The animal control officer told me that the Rot was all caught up on its shots.

The animal control officer confirmed what I already knew, the owner is responsible for 100% of the bills incurred as a result of this. Their office doesn't have any 'teeth' (sorry, bad pun) to enforce this law though. So we might end up in court. So far the bills are ~$2k, that's including my doc bill. 

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2012, 07:36:06 AM »
Hope the little fella recovers C. Good luck with the owner.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2012, 07:46:11 AM »
Thanks Gary.

Taff

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2012, 08:06:07 AM »
Great news on Bosco.

Time people took responsibility for actions they could have controlled.

Did anyone see the video footage of a guy helping some kids get awy from a group of dogs this week?
As I used to own several dogs (they have sadly departed this earth) I tried to think about other people and their dogs and not just think about me.

Good idea not to discuss the possibility of legal action in an open forum.

Jon,

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2012, 08:42:00 AM »
This shudders me to think everytime my wife takes our little ones for walk. They are cairn terriers - slightly bigger than Bosco, but still way small than a Rot. Lexi, the female, is the smallest, but the most aggresive towards other dogs - she is the alpha in our pack of three. I think I will have carry a tazer or a knife if she is taking the dogs out.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Timalan

• www.thismotorcyclelife.net
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2012, 10:11:26 AM »
that is too bad. Or wiener is so hard to walk when others are around the breed is so dumb when it comes to realizing their size. If had a couple dogs attack ours. One was a german shepherd that got loose from owner. I beat the crap out of it and it finally let go. no damage done. and a Pit Bull made a Line for us on the street one day... the guy watching her was not the master and she knew it. Her Daddy came out just in time and Said "Zooey, Get yo ass back here" and she turned and went home. after circling us for a couple turns. I picked up my wiener, Jim, and tried to keep him from eye contact. Once a wiener makes eye contact they escalate things really quick! Sorry about your dog.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2012, 10:29:38 AM »
Good news indeed C.  Still sad it happened, I do wish folks would realize that some dogs just don't belong in a city setting.  I am a lover of dogs, all breeds and truly believe  the adage that there are no bad dogs, only bad owners.  I'd bet that given the right setting this Rott would be a great dog.  Last year my 80 year old father was bitten by a very large Rott, it is a country, out in the boondocks dog, not aggressive yet very attentive.  The owner lives alone in an area where the nearest neighbor is a 15 minute drive away.  The dog is his companion and protector.  What happened is quite natural, see my father has alzheimers, he was busy picking cockleburs out of the dogs hair, the dog growled once, Papy was told to stop.  A coupla minutes later he decided to do it again, buddy and owner were digging something out and their back was too them.  As the old saying goes, "I done told you once"!  Many stitches later all is well.  Dog has a look on his face of I did something wrong, don't know what but I'm sorry.
Another example, my youngest daughter thought she was being cute, she decided to tease my dog with his bone, she was shaking it in her mouth, face to face, he growled once, she thought it was funny, right up to when he took the bone back.  Results?  Stitches and a new found respect for dogs.

Why the long post?  I'd hate to see anyone blame the dog for doing what is natural, it comes down to irresponible action on the owner and not placing fault on the animal.

Again Conrad, so so so happy to hear Bosco is on the road to recovery.

Chet

Offline wipfel

• 2010 Concours 14 ABS
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2012, 11:02:56 AM »
Dogs are like guns and motorcycles.  They can hurt you (or someone else in this case) in a hurry if you don't know what you're doing and aren't careful.  I agree dogs aren't malicious, but some have a bunch of natural aggressiveness and a hair trigger.

Similar story with my sister when we were little.  She was blowing in the face of our neighbor's basset hound, and he decided enough was enough.  She ended up with one stitch on each side of her face and has slightly offset dimples to this day. 
--If I could be anywhere right now, I'd still be out there, on my bike, in the wilderness.

2010 Concours 14 ABS

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2012, 04:47:35 PM »
Those Rotties are born mean as s***. I know first hand how friendly and loving Dachshunds are. Our mini "Porkchop" has yet to meet someone that he wouldn't go home with human or dog.

HA !!! Two of the most unpredictable dogs I've known were Dachshunds.... My sister's Molly Moo was called the spawn of the devil and was feared by man woman and child alike even once you were acquainted with that devil dog. But I do still love the breed as they do have great personalities and are comics in their own right.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Makz58

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2012, 05:46:48 PM »
This hits home hopefully the little one will be fine..the issue is she will never look at big dogs the same way again....I would tell you my personal experience but to painful.
When arguing with an idiot make sure he isn't.
C-14 2010

Offline Axxman

« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2012, 06:27:53 PM »
Prayers for Bosco, and for you too Conrad. I hope she will be alright. My dogs are just like sons to me. I can only imagine how you feel. Hang in there brutha.

Jay
Jay
09 Concours 14 ABS
Candy Diamond Red

Offline Squishman

• Arena
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2012, 08:02:11 PM »
Sorry to hear about that Conrad. Pretty terrifying. Makes me think I should carry mace or a tazer for when I walk my roommate's Chihuahua. Or a gun would be better. Or a frikkin' typewriter (aka Tommy Gun). 
Todd
Eagan, MN
Photos of my 1999 Conk: http://s751.photobucket.com/home/Squishman/index
Fav farkles: custom-cut Corbin Seat, Sonic 1.2's, Sisf's righteous carb work, Yamaha ATV bars, Spoofak, Rifle Shield, Stick Coils.

Offline marcusorelius

« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2012, 09:00:01 PM »
Hope bosco will get better soon!
Yesterday I rode with duke to Oatman Az, where wild burros run free. Ya gotta be carefull with dogs around them (they could stomp em dead) I pulled duke away from this one after he had a close look at him.

Offline cmoore

« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2012, 04:38:54 AM »
Conrad, good luck with your case. I think you are in a very good position for recovery. After Bosco heals up she's going to have some stories to tell.
2010 C14
Dallas, Texas

Offline Conrad

« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2012, 06:12:58 AM »
Thanks again guys for all the well wishes and prayers. They're doing the trick because Bosco is getting a lil better each day.    :thumbs:    :grouphug:

She slept well last night and today she goes into the vet to have her IV cath and the three drainage tubes removed. She's eating well and drinking. She's still having trouble walking, not that we let her walk much, just when she goes outside to do her business. Part of her walking difficulties are from the IV catheter on her left front leg, it's wrapped in something like a hard cast and her right front leg is very weak because of the muscle damage from the bite.

I spoke again with the animal control officer yesterday and I mentioned that I had pics of the wound, taken at the animal hospital. The officer asked if I could e-mail them to her, I did. She replied that this was the worst wound that she's ever seen (on an animal that lived), the tech at our local vet said that same thing.

The owner of the Rot called me yesterday and he's been in contact with his home owner's insurance company. It seems that the insurance company will be covering all the expenses incurred as a result of the attack. There's way more to this part of the story but I won't bore you with it, I'm not dealing with the woman any longer, only her husband. 

As I said above, I have pics of Bosco's wounds but I won't be posting them. I don't want to see them again and I won't subject any of you to this either.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2012, 06:20:30 AM »
Good news indeed C.  Still sad it happened, I do wish folks would realize that some dogs just don't belong in a city setting.  I am a lover of dogs, all breeds and truly believe  the adage that there are no bad dogs, only bad owners.   I'd bet that given the right setting this Rott would be a great dog.  Last year my 80 year old father was bitten by a very large Rott, it is a country, out in the boondocks dog, not aggressive yet very attentive.  The owner lives alone in an area where the nearest neighbor is a 15 minute drive away.  The dog is his companion and protector.  What happened is quite natural, see my father has alzheimers, he was busy picking cockleburs out of the dogs hair, the dog growled once, Papy was told to stop.  A coupla minutes later he decided to do it again, buddy and owner were digging something out and their back was too them.  As the old saying goes, "I done told you once"!  Many stitches later all is well.  Dog has a look on his face of I did something wrong, don't know what but I'm sorry.
Another example, my youngest daughter thought she was being cute, she decided to tease my dog with his bone, she was shaking it in her mouth, face to face, he growled once, she thought it was funny, right up to when he took the bone back.  Results?  Stitches and a new found respect for dogs.

Why the long post?  I'd hate to see anyone blame the dog for doing what is natural, it comes down to irresponible action on the owner and not placing fault on the animal.

Again Conrad, so so so happy to hear Bosco is on the road to recovery.

Chet

Thanks Chet and I agree 100%, no bad dogs just bad owners. I don't blame the Rot for what happened, but if I had a weapon at the time it would have been the Rot who would have paid the price.

I won't be carrying my pistol on our next walk but I will have a collapsible baton and any threatening dog that gets close enough will get a taste of it.