Author Topic: Oil change full 5 Qts Concours 14  (Read 41794 times)

Offline gilio76

• Concours 14
Oil change full 5 Qts Concours 14
« on: May 27, 2015, 07:58:32 AM »
since I started using the full 5 Qts of oil on the C14 as suggested in the manual it feels much smoother when shifting gears, better engine temperature highly recommended full 5 QTS 10w40 when engine is dry and filter removal and new filter also FRAM filter PH6017A you can get from ANY AUTOZONE FOR less than $6 also motorcycle regular oil 10w40 works or full shynthetic works your choice.  I personally use synthetic

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: Oil change full 5 Qts Concours 14
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 08:00:26 AM »
welcome to the forum.

for >103,000 miles "Rotella T6" oil (4.5-5 quarts per change) and a purolater filter has served me well on mine, too
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline gilio76

• Concours 14
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 08:03:08 AM »
Thank you

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 08:36:57 AM »
since I started using the full 5 Qts of oil on the C14 as suggested in the manual it feels much smoother when shifting gears, better engine temperature highly recommended full 5 QTS 10w40 when engine is dry and filter removal and new filter also FRAM filter PH6017A you can get from ANY AUTOZONE FOR less than $6 also motorcycle regular oil 10w40 works or full shynthetic works your choice.  I personally use synthetic
Welcome gilio. Since your engine will never be dry again 4.5 qts should be enough.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 09:08:51 AM »
5 quarts is overfull.

A Fram oil filter?   :o
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Gigantor

• I often regretted my speech, but never my silence.
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2015, 09:25:39 AM »
5 quarts is overfull.

A Fram oil filter?   :o

+2 You are better off with the oem, Fram filters have a reputation for poor quality

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r21883344-Tech-Review-The-Long-Waited-FRAM-OIL-FILTER-REVIEW

2014 Concours 14 ABS Metallic Spark Black
 Xpel Custom Bra kit, SOCALMOTOGEAR HID system, Philip Luggage Rack, Projekt D Radiator Guard, Carbon Fiber Rear Hugger, Mini Euro Sport Shield, Kaw Tour Seat, HF80/2 Horn, RG Frame Sliders, PR4

Offline Bike Habit

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 09:51:28 AM »
X2! I stopped using orange filters about 10 years ago after hearing how crummy they were! OEM filters on the bikes, and Purolators in the cages...
Ban Owners, not Breeds! American Pit Bull Terriers are Great Family Pets!

Offline JerBear

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2015, 10:10:58 AM »
welcome to the forum.

for >103,000 miles "Rotella T6" oil (4.5-5 quarts per change) and a purolater filter has served me well on mine, too

I too use this combo the Purolater isn't recommended for motorcycles but I wanted to live on the edge and see if anything can test the mad PAWAH of KIPASS
2008 C14 Non-ABS

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2015, 02:59:38 PM »
Welcome to the forum.
I think that 4.5-4.7 is the recommended amount. I wouldn't overfill.
Is your bike on the center stand in the picture?
Joel from Maine.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 03:03:15 PM »
I don't care what filter you use, you overfilled the system by a pint...

man, is oil changing that difficult?????

the sightglass is checked with both tires on the ground, not on centerstand.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2015, 03:12:23 PM »
There's a sightglass?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2015, 03:23:27 PM »
There's a sightglass?

Yeah, it is that thing that is impossible to see while sitting on the bike trying to keep it level (and no, I can't get mine on the centerstand).  I will take my phone and reach down and get a photo of it so I can tell the level, if having to do it alone.

Generally it is not a good idea to overfill.  As for filters, I discovered the K&N with the hex nut and I am sold on it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E2CVIS   it is very rare to see anything with that many reviews (342) on Amazon have a nearly PERFECT score (4.8).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline clogan

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2015, 04:35:50 PM »
Yeah, it is that thing that is impossible to see while sitting on the bike trying to keep it level (and no, I can't get mine on the centerstand).  /snip...

Max:
Why can't you get yours on the center stand? That would seem to be the primary problem, especially where tire, brake, oil maintenance is concerned. If you solve your center stand challenge, you may find that many other things are more easily addressed.
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2015, 04:40:08 PM »
Like world peace?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2015, 04:40:37 PM »
Yeah, it is that thing that is impossible to see while sitting on the bike trying to keep it level (and no, I can't get mine on the centerstand).  I will take my phone and reach down and get a photo of it so I can tell the level, if having to do it alone.

Generally it is not a good idea to overfill.  As for filters, I discovered the K&N with the hex nut and I am sold on it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E2CVIS   it is very rare to see anything with that many reviews (342) on Amazon have a nearly PERFECT score (4. 8) .

We have a center stand?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2015, 04:44:17 PM »
Max: Why can't you get yours on the center stand? That would seem to be the primary problem, especially where tire, brake, oil maintenance is concerned. If you solve your center stand challenge, you may find that many other things are more easily addressed.

My bike is lowered, so getting it on the center stand alone is extremely difficult.  With help from someone else I can do it, by backing the bike onto a 1" or so board first.

Amazing what difference an inch can make :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2015, 04:47:39 PM »
So many ways to go with this.... :rotflmao:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2015, 04:49:31 PM »
So many ways to go with this.... :rotflmao:

I know, I left it wiiiiiiiiiiiide open for people to go crazy....

elp_jc

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2015, 05:15:43 PM »
Amount of oil depends on how much was drained, so there's NO specific amount to fill with. Get it to the top mark AFTER running the engine and letting it sit. And yes, on the centerstand; that's what it's for too (if somebody doesn't believe that, check the difference :o). It should take anywhere from 4-1/2 to 5 qts indeed. I drain oil in my vehicles overnight, so I believe mine will take 5 too, or very close to that. But I always leave 1/2-qt out until starting the engine, so I don't accidentally overfill it... but nothing an oil extractor can't fix if that happens, so no biggie ;D. Finally, can't believe this bike takes 5 qts; that's awesome; the more the better. It's the same amount the 550HP GTR with 2 big turbos takes; unbelievable for Nissan to only allow that paltry amount. Anyway, have my first trip on Friday, and will be changing the oil for the first time over the weekend, even if I don't get to the magical 500 miles. Have a good one folks.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2015, 06:46:58 PM »
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine