Author Topic: Possible Coolant leak.  (Read 701 times)

Offline Chris2jze

Possible Coolant leak.
« on: June 17, 2020, 02:16:45 PM »
Hi everyone,

After a lovely 250 mile round trip from Manchester to Grimsby and back via the AONB I have discovered a small puddle on the garage floor under the bike the next day.
 She has never leaked or dropped any fluid before and from the colour of it I'm a bit worried.
It's a dirty brown water colour, doesn't smell and is just like water on the fingers so I'm assuming it is coolant but am surprised in the poor condition of it if it is.

From the location of the puddle it's on the left hand side of the bike but even further left than the sump so must have come from the LHS of the engine down the side of the Fairing bit nothing feels damp but I haven't taken anything apart yet. 

When I bought the bike 16 months ago I noticed that it had a new Rad in her and the fans have always come on as soon as the temp gauge clicks to one notch away from the top. As soon as the fans kick in it drops back down to half way and they stop. When I pull down my drive and park it outside the garage I usually stop the engine but leave the ignition on and usually the fans kick in before I have got back to the bike to push her in the garage so have always known the cooling system to be good. 

I think this time I may have just killed the ignition while she was really hot. Would this cause some sort of overheat as it got hotter after the run in the garage without the fans or am I worrying about nothing. I've been looking in the manual and will check the level at the weekend but I don't like the idea of the coolant looking that bad and it can't have any antifreeze in it.
Would the water pump be a possible cause of the leak on that side of the bike? Anything else I should check?  I have looked on fowler's and can't seem to find a price on a water pump. Is it also worth changing the thermostat at the same time?

Many thanks in advance for your help. 

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Possible Coolant leak.
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2020, 03:21:47 PM »
After a lovely 250 mile round trip from Manchester to Grimsby and back via the AONB I have discovered a small puddle on the garage floor under the bike the next day.  She has never leaked or dropped any fluid before and from the colour of it I'm a bit worried.  [...]From the location of the puddle it's on the left hand side of the bike

That is a common location for a coolant leak.  I, too, would be concerned, especially by the color.  Since you apparently (??) bought a used bike, I would not trust the condition of ANY of the fluids or filters and check/replace all of it.

I think this time I may have just killed the ignition while she was really hot. Would this cause some sort of overheat as it got hotter after the run in the garage without the fans or am I worrying about nothing.

I think that is worrying about nothing.  With the engine off, the coolant will not flow, so the fans being on or off for additional seconds or minute won't really make any difference.  If it were hot enough, the coolant will expand into the overflow tank.  If the overflow tank, itself, overflows, then your system is over-filled.

I've been looking in the manual and will check the level at the weekend but I don't like the idea of the coolant looking that bad and it can't have any antifreeze in it.

Yep.  If I were you, I would automatically just plan to drain the system, flush it once or twice, and fill it back up with a proper mix (typically 50% antifreeze).

Would the water pump be a possible cause of the leak on that side of the bike?

The connections to it, yes.  And the connection to the left side of the radiator.  And the connections to the overflow tank.  You have to pull some fairings, unfortunately, to perform a coolant change (right one for filler, left one for overflow bottle).  Make sure to suck out whatever goo might be left in the overflow bottle.

I have looked on fowler's and can't seem to find a price on a water pump. Is it also worth changing the thermostat at the same time?

I have never heard of a Concours water pump failure.  Certainly possible, but that seems remote and premature.  Same thing with the thermostat.  If you were overheating, you would see that on the dash.  Mine has never run the temp up beyond one bar from the top- and it has to be REALLY hot outside and a lot of stress on the bike to get up to that temp.  If the fluid were low, that could do it.  If it overheats while not moving, fan failure can do it.

As a side note- also make sure you are using the correct high-octane gas, especially during hot weather, especially if you push the bike hard.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc