Author Topic: I thought KIPASS stranded me today, but I was wrong  (Read 2298 times)

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
I thought KIPASS stranded me today, but I was wrong
« on: July 10, 2020, 03:47:25 PM »
On my way to Mt. Sterling KY for MSTA rally. Stopped for gas in Russleville KY. Pressed knob, it lit up I tunen to on but when I preessed start button nothing, display went blank. Walked to walmart got tools, voltmeter, sandpaper. Was going to clean up connections but immediately saw the negativce cable was broken at the teminal. Back to Walmart to buy a cable - automotive type but I made it fit. Nows I have power to kipass - screen lights up and dispaly indicates knob ready to turn but wont turn and thgen displays says immobiler error. Tried replacing fob battery as well as passive fob. same result or nothing at all New battery 13 volts.

Used my AMA roadsside assistance. Rep worked with me for 45 minutes to find a shop that said they would work on it. Towe3de to Lsot River Powersports in Bowling Green 32 mile away on AMA. Tech will look in the morning but I have little hope of a quick fix.

THis seems unlike anything I have seen here or other forum in 12 years.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 06:19:30 AM by lather »
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline Freddy

Re: KIPASS stranded me today
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 05:48:01 PM »
It's a poor earth or dud cell in battery problem.
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2020, 05:58:58 PM »
Did you try hitting it (switch)?  That worked both times with me.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2020, 06:24:36 PM »
i hit it many times.

Offline Freddy

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2020, 06:26:28 PM »
It's not a KIPASS issue.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2020, 07:18:40 PM »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2020, 07:25:24 PM »
I believe the immobilizer error message means it IS a KIPAAS issue.

Offline Freddy

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2020, 11:47:25 PM »
That's telling you the volts/battery/frame earths are/is faulty.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2020, 06:16:49 AM »
That's telling you the volts/battery/frame earths are/is faulty.

Which is consistent with almost every other reported issue ever posted.  Doesn't mean it can't be a dead computer, but that would be exceedingly rare.

The bike probably could have used some type of startup routine that measures critical voltages while placing a ramped up load, so it can stop and warn the user of a basic electrical problem (battery, terminals, grounds) before continuing the rest of the startup.  I bet it could be done without delaying the startup much.  The C14 seems particularly vulnerable to such issues- many of us have been stranded due to that exact issue (including me).  I am curious, I think I will create a poll on it.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2020, 06:24:39 AM »
The problem started with a faulty ground, a broken negative cable at the frame ground. But at that time there was no immobilzier message just a blank screen.

Now I have replaced the ground cable with a larger guage automotive one. It should now have a good ground. could the oversize cable be a problem?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2020, 06:40:18 AM »
Now I have replaced the ground cable with a larger guage automotive one. It should now have a good ground. could the oversize cable be a problem?

I don't see how cable larger in diameter or current capacity (smaller gauge) could cause any issue- only if the connector(s) were not fitting well and making good contact.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2020, 06:57:23 AM »
What does the dash's voltmeter read?

I've never heard of a cable breaking the way that you described. Any idea what caused that?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2020, 07:08:26 AM »

I am not sure that will matter.

When the bike is not running, it indicates the unloaded voltage of the battery.  With little/no load, it will not test the current-capacity of the cable nor the battery or connectors or anything else.  If it reads low voltage with little/no load, that is almost certainly just a discharged battery.

When the bike IS running, the dash is only indicating the voltage of the charging system, which is always a higher voltage than the battery (or the battery would never charge).

This is why testing a battery really requires taking it out and throwing a huge load on it (like the starter would place).  I am not sure how you can test the cables and battery in-place.  You would need to know the split-second lowest voltage at the time the starter is running (and know what is or is not an acceptable reading).

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2020, 10:29:06 AM »

I've never heard of a cable breaking the way that you described. Any idea what caused that?
all I am seeing on the dash display is immobiler error a key symbol and then goes blank.
I istalled an oversize battery and it stretched and put stress on the cable at the termin al

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2020, 10:32:49 AM »
A multimeter on the battery terminals or the sae pigtail was showing 13+v. If it is a discharged batt the dealer should find that quickly.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2020, 01:41:26 PM »
No point in hitting it- you do not have a stuck activation switch because the screen illuminates. When the switch is stuck, nothing on the bike will work, including the display.

From the symptoms given, it sounds like the solenoid shot- pin may not be activating or mechanically moving. If that is the case, you will also <not> hear the 'clink' or 'tink' noise when the display illuminates because that noise is the solenoid pulling the shot pin disconnecting from the ign. sw. barrel so that it can be turned. That said, it does not fit the circumstances: you had an electrical system failure (full power loss) due to a bad cable and suddenly this happens- I cannot help but think they are related.

At any rate, that is the cause of your problem: KiPass is activating just fine but the solenoid is not releasing the ign. switch barrel so that it can be rotated.

This is the first failure of this type that I have heard of- wish I was closer to take a look 'cause it is interesting (well, maybe not so much to you  ;) )

Brian

On my way to Mt. Sterling KY for MSTA rally. Stopped for gas in Russleville KY. Pressed knob, it lit up I tunen to on but when I preessed start button nothing, display went blank. Walked to walmart got tools, voltmeter, sandpaper. Was going to clean up connections but immediately saw the negativce cable was broken at the teminal. Back to Walmart to buy a cable - automotive type but I made it fit. Nows I have power to kipass - screen lights up and dispaly indicates knob ready to turn but wont turn and thgen displays says immobiler error. Tried replacing fob battery as well as passive fob. same result or nothing at all New battery 13 volts.

Used my AMA roadsside assistance. Rep worked with me for 45 minutes to find a shop that said they would work on it. Towe3de to Lsot River Powersports in Bowling Green 32 mile away on AMA. Tech will look in the morning but I have little hope of a quick fix.

THis seems unlike anything I have seen here or other forum in 12 years.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2020, 03:31:12 PM »
The bike is fixed. Big thanks to Lost River Powersports in Bowling Green and to AMA Rodaside assistance and Clays Auto Body and Towing. Lost River is a big multi brand dealer and they moved me ahead of 91 jobs to get me back on the road.

The problem was a bad positive connection that I missed. I admit I am a lousy wrench! But when I saw that broken negative I was sure that was the problem. Plus it was hot, i was dehydrated and distracted by a bunch of nice folks trying to help. I was in an awkward position in the only available shade between to fuel pump lanes. Thanks to all who gave advice. The service manager asked me before they went to work If I had researched online on a forum and I told him the consensus was a bad batt or bad connection.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2020, 03:50:23 PM »
The problem was a bad positive connection that I missed.

Did they mention exactly which one/where?

Glad to hear it was a quick fix!

Offline lather

• Arena
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2020, 04:12:50 PM »
It must have been the positive post connection. I asked if my negative cable replacement was the problem and he said no.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2020, 04:33:02 PM »
It must have been the positive post connection. I asked if my negative cable replacement was the problem and he said no.

Hmm.  So the negative wire broke (or degraded) at the battery, and possibly the positive, too?  I think this would only happen if the cables had been unusually stressed.  Was/is the battery the correct size, or was/is it physically smaller?  If it were smaller, it could shift/move/vibrate and start breaking down the cable.  Was the battery ever installed backwards (stretching the cables)?  Did any battery ever corrode horribly, depositing chemicals on the connectors?