Author Topic: My first muti day ride  (Read 4815 times)

Offline Stubby

• 2011 Silver ABS Concours 1400
My first muti day ride
« on: August 22, 2012, 09:21:18 PM »
OK I got my Connie last fall with the intent of doing this type of riding. some friends wanted us to do Sturgis with them ( they have gone for a few years ) this year and we ( the GF and I ) said ok.

Our trip was 8 days 2350 miles from Utah to Idaho to Montana to Wyoming to South Dakota and back.

Riding into West Yellowstone are ET ( the GF ) and I as our friends take a few shots

It pays to put your kickstand down at times

Stayed in Bozeman Sunday and had dinner with all that are going.

After a long hot day of riding this place was so nice for a stop

At home for the next 3 days

It does make packing so much better when you have a GF on her own bike.

Sturgis is well interesting.....some great bikes and other pics that I can't show here.....LOL...

On the way home we found the Powder River pass

Close to Cody WY we find this little gem a 110 year old bar with the bullet holes still in the walls quite the place and oh so friendly

The Chief Joseph Hwy and yes we get to ride down that!

After all that we got home safe ( other than a few scrapes on my bike ) and can't wait for the next one. In fact next week that friend and I are heading to Colorado for a 5 day 4 night trip through south East CO and southern UT more to come I hope?

Dave

it's better to ask forgiveness than permission..... So I have been told

Offline slerickson

Re: My first muti day ride
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 09:04:45 AM »
It can be addictive going on long rides and I schedule at least one a year longer than a week in the 4,500 mile range.  KS to Canada  was 5,100 miles this year. 

We might have been in the Yellowstone, Cody and Sturgis area about the same time.
In Loving Memory of My Wife
Ronda 1/27/63  7/16/08
MISS YOU BOO

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 09:15:07 AM »
Nice!
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 09:28:30 AM »
Congrats on your long trip.  I also try to make at least one good long trip every year.  It seems lately that my trips include the National Rally
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 09:58:03 AM »
Nice pics.  I am leaving for the Bonneville Salt Flats on Saturday morning from MN.  I will be touring So. Utah and CO for the rest of the week, after Tuesday. 

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 10:21:39 AM »
Nice! I've got some pics of Chief Joseph pass from the same location.

Offline Stubby

• 2011 Silver ABS Concours 1400
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 12:30:18 PM »
Nice pics.  I am leaving for the Bonneville Salt Flats on Saturday morning from MN.  I will be touring So. Utah and CO for the rest of the week, after Tuesday.

Cold streak I will be in CO from Monday night to Thursday mid day then Southern UT till Fri night we may pass each other....LOL...
Safe travels.

Slerickson..... Yes it is addicitve I am working on at least 2 for next year.  ;D
it's better to ask forgiveness than permission..... So I have been told

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 07:00:48 PM »
If you've never been, you're really gonna like UT hiwy 12. Do it all. Both ways. Twice.

I camped here,

http://www.sandcreekrv.com/index.htm

they are also a hostel and they have frugal cabins($30). Very clean place, clean showers and laundry  with a very nice separate area for tent camping(now $15). IIRC, they also had a good beer selection, dunno if that still applies.  And they have enough altitude to cool off at night. I stayed for three nights in September of '05.

Part of the tent area:

If you stay there, head over toward Capital Reef NP toward sunset. There is a scenic overlook on your right just before the park. Watch the sun set here. One of the best I've ever seen, a few clouds that night dressed it up perfectly. Do watch for wild critters on the way back to Torrey, they will be active then.

Oh, and carry and drink lots of water, a breakdown in the boonies can kill you with out it.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)