Author Topic: A little work around the house..... basically building a new house.  (Read 14216 times)

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
Re: A little work around the house..... basically building a new house.
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2018, 05:52:02 AM »
Well, the injuries notwithstanding, I'm just glad you fired the non-compliant contractor.

Shades of Mike Rowe, albeit a few hundred miles south of Toronto.....
2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2018, 04:39:07 AM »
Wow, glad you're ok, Brian. 
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2018, 10:38:16 AM »
What's the purpose of the wrap around the 4x4's? And does it only get applied to the upper half?

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2018, 11:13:17 AM »
What's the purpose of the wrap around the 4x4's? And does it only get applied to the upper half?

It appears like vinyl cladding to me, and yes probably just the top of the front posts, because the bottom is enclosed? (see enlarged cropped photo attached)

https://i.imgur.com/JeiUSAx.jpg

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #64 on: June 01, 2018, 03:45:45 PM »
Just saw this question a month late.... sorry.

The vinyl tubes finish the pressure treated 4X4's and make them maintenance free. Raw 4X4's are really pretty rough, often twisted and flawed and do not hold paint well. So the tubes are the 'siding' for the posts. They are nice but not cheap at $180 each.

The posts on the front and side of the porch only have 1/2 their length covered in tubes because the bottom will be a wall where the 4X4's will be covered. This allowed the tubes to be cut in half and one tube to be used for two posts, strictly a money saving maneuver.

The side of the porch / house has three full length 4X4's, with covers, that will not be covered. So they are covered from <almost> top to bottom with vinyl; a finishing trim ring, also vinyl, will provide the disguise at the top of each post so the gap cannot be seen.

The contractors have been off on other jobs for the last two months but are scheduled to return this Monday, 4 June 2018 to start siding the entire house as well as trimming- out doors windows and everything else needed to complete the siding. So with a little luck and some weeks, we may, just maybe, have something that looks like a house again, at least the outside. The inside is still a 'stick forest' of 2X's.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com