Author Topic: I need another Key FOB?  (Read 59145 times)

Offline 1jeep

Re: I need another Key FOB?
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2015, 05:58:31 AM »
Conrad...Thanks, that's some good info!

After talking to my dealers service dept Saturday they have done this before, I am not the first to loose a fob.i was told a couple days for the new one to arrive, so only one more week of using that little fob.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2015, 03:46:13 PM »
Not exactly related; BUT,,,
My pet peeve is still that I have to carry 3 things; * a FOB,
                                                                       ** a key (for gas and saddle bags),
                                                                     *** a key for the Trunk.

All of which can become lost or misplaced.
  (I hate the little key inside the Active FOB, and haven't modified the Trunk to accept another key)

So, I ; bought a leather Key Case. (It has 2 compartments and clips for 6 keys). ($15.00 on Ebay)
          had new Saddle Bag and Trunk keys made. ($5.00 @ Ace Hardware)
          removed all but "2" of the Key Clips.
          "attached" the FOB to the Key Case, and placed it inside of 1 of the (Key Case) compartments.
          attached my 2 new keys (Saddle/Gas and Trunk) to the "2" key Clips.

Result; I now have everything attached to 1 key case .
           (As long as I don't loose the Key Case) I'm less likely to loose the FOB...
           keys can be easily used without detatching them from the Key Case...
           Key Case is a soft leather that wraps around the keys, and won't scratch the bike...

Ride safe, Ted

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2015, 07:02:19 PM »
Great if you found a solution that works for you Ted. Just to add a thought to your comments though- one can just use the 'stove knob' key in the ignition for everything on the bike. Some will say it is "Bad Juju" for some reason or other but it is not only the intended design (that is why there is an FSS position on the ignition- so the key can be used for 'Fuel, Saddle and Storage') but it also works quite well; I use my bike in that manner and have since it was new in '07, 98K miles ago. So far, nothing bad has happened.... at least nothing I can attribute to using the main key everywhere on the bike.  ;)  I think it is the easiest way to deal with the other locks on the bike anyway, the key is always there, right in front of me, ready to use (I always carry the C-14 key with me in a pants pocket).

As I said, just a different take on the situation. And usually the primer for a, er, lasting forum discussion.  ;D

Brian

Not exactly related; BUT,,,
My pet peeve is still that I have to carry 3 things; * a FOB,
                                                                       ** a key (for gas and saddle bags),
                                                                     *** a key for the Trunk.

All of which can become lost or misplaced.
  (I hate the little key inside the Active FOB, and haven't modified the Trunk to accept another key)

So, I ; bought a leather Key Case. (It has 2 compartments and clips for 6 keys). ($15.00 on Ebay)
          had new Saddle Bag and Trunk keys made. ($5.00 @ Ace Hardware)
          removed all but "2" of the Key Clips.
          "attached" the FOB to the Key Case, and placed it inside of 1 of the (Key Case) compartments.
          attached my 2 new keys (Saddle/Gas and Trunk) to the "2" key Clips.

Result; I now have everything attached to 1 key case .
           (As long as I don't loose the Key Case) I'm less likely to loose the FOB...
           keys can be easily used without detatching them from the Key Case...
           Key Case is a soft leather that wraps around the keys, and won't scratch the bike...

Ride safe, Ted
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2015, 08:03:01 AM »
I considered using the Stove Top key, but the FOB key was on hand, and seemed easier to use.
But you may be right.

I think this plan will work for me, as everything is in 1 location, and I don't keep searching my pockets to find the separate items...
You know, simple mind, simple solution.... 8)

And now,, back to the regularly scheduled discussion...

Ride safe, Ted

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #64 on: May 14, 2015, 08:40:40 AM »
What's your backup plan in case you lose the leather case?

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2015, 08:50:03 AM »
Spare trunk key stashed on bike.
Passive FOB in Trunk.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline rosser

• El Cuervo Gordo - 2011 Concours
    • Rosser's Home Page
« Reply #66 on: June 23, 2015, 12:37:30 PM »
"Once a KIPASS FOB has been programmed into the ECU of a motorcycle it cannot subsequently be programmed into the ECU of another motorcycle."

I guess you could call this another sad "FOB" story. I bought a new 2011 Concours in April of 2011 and it only came with the one, active  KIPASS unit. Dealer didn't know anything about a spare, etc., etc. So, I just ponied up and bought a spare one for $260, or whatever, and had it programmed, tested, and then removed the battery and carried it in my top box as a spare (along with batteries, of course). I never had to use the spare FOB. So when I bought my new 2013 Concourse in February 2015 and then sold my 2011 on Craig's List I just kept the spare FOB even though my new bike came with the active FOB and the small spare one.

Subsequently, I decided to have the older spare FOB programmed to use on the new bike, made an appointment with the dealer, and took it in this morning. First drama, "we need the code number on the original baggie". Well, I dug that out and gave it to them - they were amazed that I had it (and so was I, actually).

Then, after another 20 minutes, or so, they reported that the older, spare FOB could not be programmed into my new Concours and showed me on their laptop some Kawasaki service bulletin that stated that a FOB that had been programmed into a bike could not ever be programmed into another one. I am posting this because I have seen numerous references on bulletin boards where people recommend finding used FOBs to program into bikes and I don't think it is possible once the FOB was orginally programmed to another bike.

Does anyone know anymore about this? It is really hard to believe, and so I have a call into Kawasaki customer service but have not heard back from them. It really galls me to have spent upwards of $300 and now all I have to show for it is a conversation piece!

Offline Classvino

• Longtime Kawi Rider
« Reply #67 on: June 23, 2015, 01:05:26 PM »
"Once a KIPASS FOB has been programmed into the ECU of a motorcycle it cannot subsequently be programmed into the ECU of another motorcycle."

Can anyone verify this?   I just bought one as well....

Jamie
2013 C14 - First "new" bike
1983 CB1100F, 1977 GS850, 1974 KH750 H2, 1974 KH500 H1, 1975 KH400 S3, 1979 RD 400 Daytona......

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2015, 01:06:37 PM »
Interesting.

First of all, the fob is not programmed and in fact, cannot be programmed. It is the KiPass unit on the bike that is programmed to recognize the particular fob's identification number.

As the fob cannot be changed, it is not possible to alter it in any way that would prevent it from being used not only on another motorcycle, but many motorcycles and all at the same time. For example: if a particular police dept. had a significant number of C-14's, they could all be programmed to respond to a single fob that, for example, the service dept. could keep and therefore use on any bike in the fleet.

The only way I can think of to defeat that process would be to register the fob's number along with a vehicle's VIN, associate the two (which would me than fob has been used on a motorcycle- that motorcycle specifically), and then upload that data to a data base that Kawasaki held. Then when using the KDS software to try and code any bike, the software could first scan the database to see if the fob(s) that were trying to be used on a particular bike had previously been used on a different C-14. With the 'Net available virtually everywhere today, it would be easy enough to require the KDS software to download a new database every single time it was powered up.

Of course the only reason to implement such a system would be to stop the sale and use of used fobs. There was not such a system in place previously but certainly Kawasaki could have installed it at any time without the consumer's knowledge.

Brian

I guess you could call this another sad "FOB" story. I bought a new 2011 Concours in April of 2011 and it only came with the one, active  KIPASS unit. Dealer didn't know anything about a spare, etc., etc. So, I just ponied up and bought a spare one for $260, or whatever, and had it programmed, tested, and then removed the battery and carried it in my top box as a spare (along with batteries, of course). I never had to use the spare FOB. So when I bought my new 2013 Concourse in February 2015 and then sold my 2011 on Craig's List I just kept the spare FOB even though my new bike came with the active FOB and the small spare one.

Subsequently, I decided to have the older spare FOB programmed to use on the new bike, made an appointment with the dealer, and took it in this morning. First drama, "we need the code number on the original baggie". Well, I dug that out and gave it to them - they were amazed that I had it (and so was I, actually).

Then, after another 20 minutes, or so, they reported that the older, spare FOB could not be programmed into my new Concours and showed me on their laptop some Kawasaki service bulletin that stated that a FOB that had been programmed into a bike could not ever be programmed into another one. I am posting this because I have seen numerous references on bulletin boards where people recommend finding used FOBs to program into bikes and I don't think it is possible once the FOB was orginally programmed to another bike.

Does anyone know anymore about this? It is really hard to believe, and so I have a call into Kawasaki customer service but have not heard back from them. It really galls me to have spent upwards of $300 and now all I have to show for it is a conversation piece!
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conrad

« Reply #69 on: June 24, 2015, 04:40:58 AM »

Did you read this below? I'm not 100% sure that the issue you mentioned is covered there or not but be sure to read what Brian posted. Sounds to me like your dealer is clueless, or nearly so...

In addition to the above you will want to have all of your fobs with you when the shop programs your bike to recognize the new fob. See the attachment for more info, starting on page 3 I believe.

http://www.zggtr.org/MGalleryItem.php?id=455
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #70 on: June 24, 2015, 05:44:26 AM »
Did you read this below? I'm not 100% sure that the issue you mentioned is covered there or not but be sure to read what Brian posted. Sounds to me like your dealer is clueless, or nearly so...

As most of them are...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline rosser

• El Cuervo Gordo - 2011 Concours
    • Rosser's Home Page
« Reply #71 on: June 27, 2015, 12:34:43 PM »
Here is an update on the failure to program the spare FOB. I called Chris, the service manager at Sport Cycles in Rockingham, NC, where I bought my new, 2013 Concourse in February and ran the situation by him. He said he would research it and get back to me - and here is what he found. The small plastic bag I had stored the spare FOB in is actually the one that came with the original FOB for my 2011 Concours, hence the ID number on the bag is for the original FOB which is the one the new owner is using. Chris said that only original delivery FOBs come in the little bags and that replacement FOBs like the one I purchased for a spare come in a small cardboard box with the ID number on a label inside.

Naturally, the box is long gone and a call to Andy in the service department of the dealer where I bought my 2011 Concours (Twigg Cycles in Hagerstown, MD), and subsequently bought the spare FOB and had it programmed into the ECU, came up empty on finding the ID number for the spare FOB.

But wait - there is a ray of hope! You see, the spare FOB I have is still programmed into the ECU of the 2011 that I sold, so I called the guy who bought it and made the following proposal: I trade him the spare FOB I have (which is really brand new) for the original FOB he has (for which I have the ID number), plus give him a brand new small spare FOB (so he will now have a backup FOB), and pay for all the programming of the FOBs in the immobilizer. Nothing needs to be programmed into the ECU on his bike because the spare FOB I have is already registered in that ECU. The only programming on his bike is for the RFID chip immobilizer registration. He is a nice guy and he saw the benefit and wisdom in working out a system where he would have two FOBs - one active FOB and one small spare FOB.

Then, I can have the FOB he is currently using programmed into the ECU on my 2013 and register all the RFID chips in the  immobilizer (two full-size FOBs and the small spare FOB).

I know it sounds kind of crazy to go to all this trouble, but I paid upwards of $300 for the spare FOB 4 years ago and I would like to have it as a backup. Meanwhile, the new owner of my 2011 is in a precarious position because he only has one FOB and if he lost that he would possibly be looking at having to purchase a new ECU for around $900. In any event, the plan is for us to make an appointment at a Kawasaki dealer  in the next couple of week somewhere in our area (he lives near St. Augustine, FL and I am in Ocala, FL) and meet there and have all the programming done on the spot! >;o)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #72 on: June 27, 2015, 01:15:20 PM »
I bought my Voyager XII from Twigg in the mid-90's..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Flat-spot

« Reply #73 on: June 27, 2015, 01:38:20 PM »
Hi Brian,

I decided to finally come across the street and see where you've been hangin' out.  I'm glad you're still helping everyone with complications and confusion.  Here's how I have prevented loss for 7 years now.  I hope it keeps working.  Notice NO release mechanism. ;D
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 04:29:30 PM by Flat-spot »

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #74 on: June 27, 2015, 05:35:27 PM »
So this negates the original story from the dealer about not being able to use a 'used' fob again on another bike? What they told you this time makes much more sense and sounds correct- just my opinion of course.

Brian

Here is an update on the failure to program the spare FOB. I called Chris, the service manager at Sport Cycles in Rockingham, NC, where I bought my new, 2013 Concourse in February and ran the situation by him. He said he would research it and get back to me - and here is what he found. The small plastic bag I had stored the spare FOB in is actually the one that came with the original FOB for my 2011 Concours, hence the ID number on the bag is for the original FOB which is the one the new owner is using. Chris said that only original delivery FOBs come in the little bags and that replacement FOBs like the one I purchased for a spare come in a small cardboard box with the ID number on a label inside.

<snip>

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #75 on: June 27, 2015, 05:40:52 PM »
Yep, been 'here' since I got my C-14 in '07; nice people, well moderated and usually quite pleaseant.

Yep, I am still helping to complicate things and confuse people.  ;) :rotflmao:

What you have there is a fine idea and should work well. The only weak spot I can think of is the twine might wear a bit where it goes through the eyelet of the fob because it is so small (it has to be to fit- the eyelet is tiny). But as always, whatever method works for a person is the one to use I think. My only comments are usually trying to shoot down outright false 'truisms' and 'facts' such as 'never remove the main key' and so forth.

All of this reminds me- I should change the batteries in both fobs just because I cannot remember when it was last done- it should be long enough now.

Brian

Hi Brian,

I decided to finally come across the street and see where you've been hangin' out.  I'm glad you're still helping everyone with complications and confusion.  Here's how I have prevented loss for 7 years now.  I hope it keeps working.  Notice NO release mechanism. ;D

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #76 on: June 27, 2015, 08:13:14 PM »
I use a metal chain which has a metal hook and is fastened to my belt.  Goes well with the helmet and chain mail.

Offline Charlie747

« Reply #77 on: June 27, 2015, 11:21:50 PM »
we dealers are stupid and expensive

But you will be buying @ trade price  :rotflmao: :chugbeer: