Author Topic: Given up the 'Cope  (Read 14733 times)

Offline ZG

• Arena
Re: Given up the 'Cope
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2012, 01:46:14 PM »
I am losing a pound a day, four days in four lbs. down.  ;D

I'll start saving my clothes that are tight on me for ya bro...  ;)

Son of Pappy

« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2012, 02:04:03 PM »
I am losing a pound a day, four days and four lbs. down.  ;D

How you doing Chet?
Barely maintaining my fine feminine figure ;)  I was fearfull I would gain massive quantities of lost weight, but so far I am holding a steady 206. 

Offline Conrad

« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2012, 02:35:37 PM »
Barely maintaining my fine feminine figure ;)  I was fearfull I would gain massive quantities of lost weight, but so far I am holding a steady 206.

Um what? I doubt that you'll gain any quantities of lost weight, it's the other way around that is the problem.    :o
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline rush2112

• Arena
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2012, 11:30:43 AM »
Dipped Copenhagan for 28 years. Can to a can-and-a-half a day! Quit June of 2006 and haven't touched it since. Mouth sores so bad that I was putting it in my upper lip. Esophagus spasms and scaring from juice swallow and stomach acid, and the fact that it went over $5 a can made me decide to quit.
I now have to worry about esophagus cancer too because of the increased scaring for the rest of my life.

Tried to go cold-turkey but got so sick the next morning from withdrawl that I blacked out once in front of a co-worker. She immediately took me to the store for a can just to get me through the day and suggested I use the patch. Did a full patch for a few days then cut it in half for a couple weeks. Got to say, it was quite easy doing it that way!

Now I will admit, I probably still to this day think about Copenhagan almost every day. Just glad I haven't given into it!!!
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed

Son of Pappy

« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2012, 03:02:07 PM »
Nicely done Rush.  Day 2 I woke up in a cold sweat and feeling like the toilet was under my pillow.  Started somewhere around '76, quit 3 times, for a year each, I vow that this will be the last time I quit, if I ever start again I'll meet the maker with a dip in ma lip.  Did a little ride today out at Tahuya, rained the whole time, puddles never got more than knee deep, roots are still as slick as owl stuff, and it hurts when ya hit the ground.  13 miles of single track, I am whooped for sure, all I have left to do for the day is 50 laps at the pool.  Finding that staying active helps a ton, but it's almost as painfull :)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2012, 03:08:22 PM »
Don't do it Chet- my experience has been that 100% of the fuel cells installed in your garage leak.... and badly too.  ;D ;D

By the way, has that gas station down the road finished evaporating yet?

Brian

<snip>

I'm thinking of converting a fuel cell holder on the panniers to an 02 holder for our trips into the woods :)

<snip>

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Son of Pappy

« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2012, 03:13:34 PM »
Don't do it Chet- my experience has been that 100% of the fuel cells installed in your garage leak.... and badly too.  ;D ;D

By the way, has that gas station down the road finished evaporating yet?

Brian
They got shut down by the EPA.  The FBI is still looking for a guy with some foreign accent and a phrase he was heard muttering, "Just like sex, only gooder".  Store was owned by the Amish Mafia, I sure feel for the guy whenever they catch up to him.  Lucky for him they only had enough hay for the first 50 miles. ;D

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2012, 04:26:48 PM »
Good 'cause that place was a little scary- even Mr. Elkhoof was put off by the excessive fumes. And it was kinda' slippery moving around in the parking lot too. By the way, the root cause of the leak was a burr on the inside of fuel tank cutting the O-ring;  putting the step drill inside the tank and making a few turns while pulling it into the hole serves to de- burr the hole and end the problem. Wider, flat seals under the head of the bung fitting help too but the burr was the main culprit.

Back to the quitting tobacco thing- I quit so I could ride long distance on a motorcycle. Smoking while riding is no problem and lighting cigarettes while on the highway was no problem either (some lighters really are windproof) but I cannot ride and smoke in the rain. So I quit before going on my first thousand mile run. Funny thing but I really didn't expect to quit- I smoked the last cigarette I had at about 6:30 at night (March 29) and figured when I could not stand it anymore I would go down to the store and buy some more smokes. That could still happen but it hasn't happened yet. I used Chantix and I think it really worked well because it breaks the addiction (more or less) before you actually quit using tobacco; it is a funny thing but I was smoking away and yet it seemed to have no effect due to the Chantix. So when I actually stopped smoking, I had probably been 3 weeks without responding to the nicotine anyway and the urge never got all that bad. I was a hard- core smoker too, 2+ packs a day, regular breaks walking out of restaurants to smoke during dinner, etc. No one is more surprised than I that I quit and frankly I never thought it would happen. I do not know if Chantix is used for dipping or chew but it should work the same way it does for smoking- it blocks the uptake of nicotine and so breaks the habit and therefore the need while you are still indulging in the use of tobacco.

A long time ago I had a conversation with a gentleman and I stated that I thought smoking was about 1/3 habit, 1/3 hobby (lots of tinkering involved with smoking) and 1/3 addiction. His thought was that it was nearly 100% addiction and that addiction feeds whatever emotions or mental needs necessary to feed that addiction. He pointed out that it was simply not natural or desirable to inject one's self with syringes, especially in some rather.... er, 'nasty' places but that action (shooting up) was the need spurred on by the addiction and would eventually seem like it was actually desirable to the user. Now that I have quit for a while I think he was a lot more correct than I was- it is not natural or desirable to inhale gobs of smoke and I think that most of the part where I thought I really liked smoking was just a mental response to feed the addiction.

At any rate, best of luck to you and Mrs. Chet in quitting if that is what you want to do. I pride myself on not being a rabid (or even mild) anti- smoker and do not chastise others who may smoke, dip or whatever. In fact, people can still smoke in my house. But I do not think there is much of an argument that it is generally bad for health and overall a negative thing to have a large percentage of smokers in the population. Still, I can't bring myself to beat on those who are merely doing what I did for so many years, and what remains a perfectly legal and legitimate thing to do.

Brian

They got shut down by the EPA.  The FBI is still looking for a guy with some foreign accent and a phrase he was heard muttering, "Just like sex, only gooder".  Store was owned by the Amish Mafia, I sure feel for the guy whenever they catch up to him.  Lucky for him they only had enough hay for the first 50 miles. ;D
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2012, 06:18:14 PM »
Stay strong.....the "habit" is what is the hardest to break, the body actually detoxifies itself pretty quickly. Wellbutrin is actually a very good smoking and nicotine cessation, good buddy of mine quit cold turkey and took that for around 6 months. He responded very well and has been smoke free now going on 2 years, tobacco is such a bad discovery.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Son of Pappy

« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2012, 11:33:55 PM »
So, end of day 2 with no nicotine aid, the nic fits hit fast and furious, all I can do is keep busy, so today went like this, rode YZ for an hour, went to the pool, did 51 laps, went to brothers house for dinner with his family and our father, wish I could be out riding right now, the YZ is finally dialed in and a pleasure to ride, new Q4 pipe, new Acerbis tank on the way, new plastics.
To all you youngsters, you know who you are, quit while the addiction is fairly new, it gets harder to quit the longer you are an addict.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2012, 09:56:09 AM »
Day five with no nic aid.  Hits still keep coming, came close a few times to just saying screw it.  Yesterday spent over 5 hours in meetings and then a couple hours at emails.  THAT was by far the worst.  I have cheated twice, kinda, I open the can and take a quick whiff, calms things down real quick.  Time to go do a couple laps on the dirt bike :)

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2012, 05:47:17 PM »
How ya doing on this Chet?

Son of Pappy

« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2012, 06:14:07 PM »
How ya doing on this Chet?
17 Pounds later I said screw it.  I will try again this spring when I am more physically active.  What a powerfull drug.  Almost made it a month, decided the weight was worse and sitting at anything was torture.  It was costly, new bits for the YZ, and GS left me $3k+ lighter in the wallet.  I almost feel like Jay 8)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2012, 06:37:45 PM »
17 Pounds later I said screw it.  I will try again this spring when I am more physically active.  What a powerfull drug.  Almost made it a month, decided the weight was worse and sitting at anything was torture. 

Sorry to hear Chet... :'(
So what about mama, she start back up with the butts once you caved?  :-\

It was costly, new bits for the YZ, and GS left me $3k+ lighter in the wallet.  I almost feel like Jay 8)

:o   All the more reason for me not to try quittin anytime soon...  ;D

Offline connie1

• Arena
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2012, 06:43:23 PM »
Get back at it right now!  You were doing it, you slipped, so what! Get up and get back at it.  So you gained a bit, I gain and lose 17 pounds a week,  you'll get over that in due time.  If you gotta sniff your can sniff your can, sniff your shorts if that helps, just get back at it.  You owe it to the Mrs. and yourself.
I know it's hard... believe me,  but you can't quit when you're still doing it. 
It will happen.
Man do I love this bike! Red '09

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2012, 06:48:23 PM »
17 Pounds later I said screw it. 
Sorry to hear that. It is very hard I know, but once ya quit for good it is well worth it. Is for me anyways, I don't ever think about it anymore.

Offline ARS

« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2012, 09:31:42 PM »
I quit many times Chet. Been addicted for 30 years. My best run lasted 6 months when I went on the prescription “Chantix”.  I highly recommend it.  I don’t remember all of the potential side effects this drug had, but I got the best one. . .weird and vivid dreams.  I couldn’t wait to get to sleep; it was like being in a movie every night!   ‘course I stumbled, I had a really bad day at work and couldn’t focus on my task and bummed a nicoret gum and the world was right again, but I needed more and got back on the Cope.  I gave the Chantix a second shot, but it seems that I built up an immunity to it and it had no affect at all.  January 1st is around the corner and I’m not looking forward to the New Year’s resolution.  Chewing sucks.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2012, 04:49:47 AM »
Get back on the horse Chet! So what if you fell off. You can beat that junk.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Son of Pappy

« Reply #58 on: December 18, 2012, 08:05:23 AM »
Get back on the horse Chet! So what if you fell off. You can beat that junk.
I will.  I think it would be easier giving up sex though :o. I'm going to quit it this spring, (Cope, NOT sex).

Offline Conrad

« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2012, 08:26:30 AM »
I will.  I think it would be easier giving up sex though :o. I'm going to quit it this spring, (Cope, NOT sex).

That's crazy talk right there!    :o