Author Topic: Changing the cams on throttle tamer  (Read 1068 times)

Offline Wes Carper

Changing the cams on throttle tamer
« on: March 02, 2021, 09:37:16 AM »
Hey all, my bike had a throttle tamer on it when I got it.  I don't like the longer twist.  Any ideas on getting the 20% cam off the tube?  It's press fit and I don't want to mess up the tube or melt the delrin inserts by heating it too much.  Anyone done this?  Any tricks?  G2 says it should come off.

Offline Wes Carper

Re: Changing the cams on throttle tamer
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 09:48:02 AM »
Never mind gents I got it....in case anyone is wondering....a utility knife blade and cautious application of a hammer got it started and then graduating to a pocket knife followed by a screwdriver.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 03:48:46 PM »
Did you already buy/get/obtain a different (less aggressive) cam to swap with?

Loved the Throttle Tamer until I reflashed with Shoodaben, which already had the same effect and so then it became "overcorrected" (over-Tamed, if you will).  Have thought about changing cams- I want to keep the TT because it is so much smoother and better built than the OEM throttle tube.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Wes Carper

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2021, 04:26:12 PM »
I have the stock one on order.  I figure 20% better should be a big change but if that's not enough I'll go with the -10 later.  I have a PCV with flies out but am getting rid of the PC and going with Ivans in a month or two.  Whoever did the tune didn't do a very good job.  Lots of decel popping and I really don't have much experience with FI.  Would be ok fixing myself if it was carbs.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2021, 05:02:29 PM »
Full story- I could never adjust to the C14's stock hyper "on/off"-like throttle (which people liked to call "snatch").  I tried for 2.5 years adapt to it and could not.  My whole biking life had been on carbureted engines with much more "linear" feels to them.  Then when I flashed with Guhl in late 2013, the bike woke up from the "flies" coma, that make the throttle snatch much worse (amplified it).  So I installed the Throttle Tamer in mid 2014 (with whatever stock cam they use for the C14) and that fixed the issue.  Then when I reflashed to Shoodaben in late 2018, that flash already had the effects of a Throttle Tamer baked in, and led to the over-correction I still have today.

Some people might not mind the stock feel, or had previous experience with it.  I found it made lower and mid-throttle control very difficult.  I was even convinced that, at some point, I would dump the bike due to it.  I am surprised it doesn't bother you with the flies out of the way (via the PCV/flyectomy method).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Wes Carper

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2021, 07:20:59 PM »
I haven't noticed an issue.  But then I rarely go completely off throttle unless I am coming to a stop.  Some load keeps the bike composed.  Of course with the throttle tamer on there it may be that it masks the issue, however, I think all bikes take a bit of getting used to.  Personally I'd rather have less twist.  We'll see what it's like after going to the stock cam and a flash.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2021, 10:21:02 PM »
We'll see what it's like after going to the stock cam and a flash.

I don't expect an Ivan flash will change the throttle feel/action much from what you have now (with PCV+flyectomey).

Regardless, the good news is that you will be able to pretty easily change the cam back if you like, since you already have the TT installed, have the other cam, and the experience changing it!  I am glad to see the company is still in business, too.

Offline Wes Carper

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2021, 06:45:07 AM »
Looks like they are huge in the Dirtbike community so they should be around for a while.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2021, 09:18:06 AM »
Dumb question, but why didn't you just go back to a stock throttle? You can buy a used throttle/grip & cable's on Ebay for about $20.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline PH14

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2021, 10:54:57 AM »
Full story- I could never adjust to the C14's stock hyper "on/off"-like throttle (which people liked to call "snatch").  I tried for 2.5 years adapt to it and could not.  My whole biking life had been on carbureted engines with much more "linear" feels to them.  Then when I flashed with Guhl in late 2013, the bike woke up from the "flies" coma, that make the throttle snatch much worse (amplified it).  So I installed the Throttle Tamer in mid 2014 (with whatever stock cam they use for the C14) and that fixed the issue.  Then when I reflashed to Shoodaben in late 2018, that flash already had the effects of a Throttle Tamer baked in, and led to the over-correction I still have today.

Some people might not mind the stock feel, or had previous experience with it.  I found it made lower and mid-throttle control very difficult.  I was even convinced that, at some point, I would dump the bike due to it.  I am surprised it doesn't bother you with the flies out of the way (via the PCV/flyectomy method).

I had a similar experience with my RC51. The throttle was basically on/off coming off idle, similar to the C14. I installed a Power Commander. The new map completely smoothed out the throttle coming off idle. It is pretty easy to map out that transition, and I am still surprised Kawasaki never did it.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2021, 03:04:11 PM »
Dumb question, but why didn't you just go back to a stock throttle? You can buy a used throttle/grip & cable's on Ebay for about $20.

The stock throttle tube is just plastic.  Even with the same-as-oem-cam, the metal with teflon-lined Throttle Tamer feels much, much better than the stock throttle tube.

Offline Wes Carper

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2021, 02:03:21 PM »

Ride safe, Ted

1.  I didn't have the stock tube
2.  The new cam is only $25 + Shipping
3.  The Throttle tamer setup is NICE...super well made and smoother operating than stock tubes I have used.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2021, 08:10:47 AM »
Ok, I understand. I wasn't aware of the smoothness.
In my case, {I love to tinker and wanted some spare parts}.
So, I bought a used throttle on Ebay for myself.

I wanted to modify the stock throttle to work as a throttle tamer. {EZ to do}
In addition to the throttle tube I also got; spare Throttle tube, throttle bodies, heated grip, 2 cables, throttle protector plate, and was able to do my experiment.
By the way, the modification worked well. It acts like a mild cam'ed throttle tamer.

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 11:26:50 AM by connie_rider »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2021, 09:11:51 AM »
Ok, I understand. I wasn't aWARE OF THE SMOOTHNESS.

It is a nice upgrade, even if using a stock ratio cam.  Although it harder to justify the cost if only used for the smoothness (partially because you then also have to replace the cam with a stock ratio one, which is an additional cost).

https://www.g2ergo.com/shop/g2-street-tamer-throttle-tube-kawasaki/

These are the cam selections that can be purchased to later swap with the slower one that comes with the kit:

https://www.g2ergo.com/shop/g2-street-bike-cams-for-kawasaki/