Author Topic: New Jacket Suggestions  (Read 6157 times)

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
New Jacket Suggestions
« on: October 23, 2014, 09:44:06 PM »
In the market for a new touring jacket since my old 7 year old $50 closeout M2R is popping at the seams. I want a 3/4 length 3 or 4 season water proof(WP jacket not a removable liner) that wont break the bank. Today I was at my local bike shop and they had a Tourmaster Saber 3(2xl) that fit me really well and Bikebandit has them for $99 on closeout. This i what im steering towards but id like to hear options and what ya'll might recommend. $180ish is my budget right now but might swing more if some thing is highly praised. I'm a big boy 6'4" 280 lbs, have a 50" chest and 29" sleeve, im thinking going with a 3/4 length i wont need a Tall size but the extra length sleeve might be nice.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: New Jacket Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 05:36:08 AM »
Joe Rocket alter ego 3.0 is what I use.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 06:50:59 AM »
Your price limitation ruled out my suggestion:  FirstGear Kilimanjaro.  You might be able to find last year's model on clearance.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 08:15:44 PM »
You have the biggest accessory store in the country right down the road, get to the Pony. ;)  And I think the Tourmaster Transition III would fit the bill for ya, I sure love mine and the price is right.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 01:36:07 PM »
My wife has suggested I be fitted for a new jacket.
A straight jacket.
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 05:19:58 PM »
KLIM Badlands Pro

Lovin' mine beyond belief.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/klim-badlands-pro-jacket

Mine:

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 04:01:16 PM »
KLIM Badlands Pro

Mine:

Were it not for the price, I would love to own Klim products.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 10:39:16 PM »
Ended up going back to my local shop and checking out the Saber 3 again. I just fit me like a glove and had all the options I wanted. They wouldn't match the online price so i gave Mike at RidersDiscount a shout and they matched it no problem. They also matched another online retailer on the new from tire i needed even though he said they were going to loose money on it. i ordered them both and should be here Tues or Wed.

I have my JoeRocket mesh for hot weather and im hoping this jacket fills in for everything else.

Offline aib3rtm

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 03:20:38 AM »
Looks like a good choice. And what tire did you order?

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 10:59:14 AM »
Looks like a good choice. And what tire did you order?
angel gt, same that I've been running

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2014, 01:21:37 PM »
KLIM Badlands Pro

Mine:

:yikes: $700. Does it come with sexual gratification?  ;D

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 03:37:37 PM »
no more than top shelf booze  ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 05:31:26 PM »
I like top shelf booze.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2014, 06:16:14 PM »
I have had well over 20 different jackets.  I have not found any jacket to be Truly waterproof except a Gore-Tex jacket.  Most that say they are waterproof are only good for drizzles.  Good luck in your search. 

I have a custom rain jacket by motoport that is waterproof breathable Hi-Viz that I wear when I know I will be riding in an all day rain.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Toxz Qwaste

• Arena
  • stuff & things
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2014, 08:45:40 PM »
Your price limitation ruled out my suggestion:  FirstGear Kilimanjaro.  You might be able to find last year's model on clearance.

I've had the Kilimanjaro for about 12 yrs and like it alot for cooler weather. I'd call it water resistant but not good for a long haul in steady rain. Took about 20 minutes in a steady downpour to start seeping in. I bought it from someone on a BMW forum for $175 used only once.

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2014, 11:24:27 PM »
We rode though PA 2 weekends ago in the pouring rain for about a hour and a half and my $50 M2R Freeway jacket held up well. Only place i was wet was about a inch around the collar and a little in one arm pit where i didnt have the vent zipped all the way. Problem I'm having with it is the stiching is coming undone in various places. But for the money and use ive gotten out of it I'm not complaining.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2014, 06:22:53 PM »
Why not just stitch it up.  I blind stitched a '60s leather jacket I picked up in the early 80s.  I just followed the holes in the leather and used a curved needle.  Heavier leather than what I could afford and back then I had more time than money.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2014, 08:03:02 PM »
You have the biggest accessory store in the country right down the road, get to the Pony. ;)  And I think the Tourmaster Transition III would fit the bill for ya, I sure love mine and the price is right.

I'm 6'4" 250# with 35" sleeve, 50" chest and love my Tourmaster Transition that's about 3 years old. It's waterproof (I've ridden dry in a driving rain for a couple  of hours with this  jacket and rain pants) and has a removable quilted liner which I replaced with electrics last year. A fleece under is good to about 45 for up to an hour or so. It's too hot for summer her in GA or anytime above 80 degrees, but it's great in the winter.  The price WAS right and the jacket looks like it'll last a long time since I alternate it with a Klim mesh HiViz summer jacket.
2014 C-14 Red

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2014, 09:00:14 PM »
Why not just stitch it up.  I blind stitched a '60s leather jacket I picked up in the early 80s.  I just followed the holes in the leather and used a curved needle.  Heavier leather than what I could afford and back then I had more time than money.

Its been restiched twice already getting to the point of no return. Material is getting thin at the seams.

Offline 2talltim

• 2008 C14
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2014, 09:01:00 PM »
I'm 6'4" 250# with 35" sleeve, 50" chest and love my Tourmaster Transition that's about 3 years old. It's waterproof (I've ridden dry in a driving rain for a couple  of hours with this  jacket and rain pants) and has a removable quilted liner which I replaced with electrics last year. A fleece under is good to about 45 for up to an hour or so. It's too hot for summer her in GA or anytime above 80 degrees, but it's great in the winter.  The price WAS right and the jacket looks like it'll last a long time since I alternate it with a Klim mesh HiViz summer jacket.

Transition was going to be my #2 pick.