Author Topic: any way to shut off low battery warning for tire pressure?  (Read 19282 times)

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
Re: any way to shut off low battery warning for tire pressure?
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2013, 09:13:04 AM »
Simplest solution would be to remove them when they play up and replace with normal valves?  as long as no fault is thrown up you won't have the problem again.....

Just my point of view ....

I retired from the cops last year, having rode traffic bikes since 1994.... none had tyre pressure monitors, and the two rear wheel punctures I had in that time were both noticed at low speed when it got a bit squirrely.....   And I'm still alive....

A bit like traction control... never had that either... and never fell off through lack of it    ( managed to drop it a few  times when stationary  ;D )

Our minds think alike in this matter.  :thumbs:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline PH14

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2013, 09:47:11 AM »
Simplest solution would be to remove them when they play up and replace with normal valves?  as long as no fault is thrown up you won't have the problem again.....

Just my point of view ....

I retired from the cops last year, having rode traffic bikes since 1994.... none had tyre pressure monitors, and the two rear wheel punctures I had in that time were both noticed at low speed when it got a bit squirrely.....   And I'm still alive....

A bit like traction control... never had that either... and never fell off through lack of it    ( managed to drop it a few  times when stationary  ;D)

I agree completely. If a flat is imminent, you will notice the handling change. If you don't, you aren't paying attention. If you are paying attention, and feel nothing, and the tire goes flat, a TPMS would not have time to warn you before the flat occurs.

The monitoring systems were put in place as a result of the Ford Explorer issue which really had nothing to do with tires, but in reality had to do with artificially low pressure recommendations by Ford in order to meet federal vehicle height requirements, combined with owner inattention to tire pressure. Firestone took the hit the first time despite the fact the tires were not t fault, they refused to take the hit the second time. I own and use a tire gauge. Pressure monitor systems are an unnecessary luxury that should not be mandatory as they are now in automobiles in the states.

Offline OCK913

• Arena
    • The Orlando Riders Club
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2013, 05:58:43 AM »
The ones on my 09 just started giving me issues. I had the front replace in October 2012 and had the rear replaced yesterday. Both were done by my dealer under warranty. As long as these last 2 years, I will more than likely be on another bike by then. If the 2014 offers cruise, that is when it will happen.
            2009 Kawasaki C14 - Black

Offline jonathan

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2013, 10:49:44 AM »
The monitoring systems were put in place as a result of the Ford Explorer issue ...

Another example of the vehicle being mandated to compensate for the lack of operator training and ability.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2013, 10:54:51 AM »
Another example of the vehicle being mandated to compensate for the lack of operator training and ability.

+1

sad but true
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2013, 01:38:09 PM »

Thought it was done more for the female species?  :)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2013, 04:51:58 PM »
Got my first 'battery low' warning light this morning while riding to work in 23 degree weather.  Come on spring!
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2013, 06:12:31 PM »
Only battery i worry about is KiPass. 

The battery in my rims and the stock battery on the bike have lasted >66,000 miles because i maintain my KiPass battery   
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2013, 07:13:19 PM »
Only battery i worry about is KiPass. 

The battery in my rims and the stock battery on the bike have lasted >66,000 miles because i maintain my KiPass battery   

Interesting.  I didn't ride with my KiPass fob this morning.  I used the passive key that is on my key chain because taking the Connie was a last minute decision.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2013, 10:27:46 PM »
Interesting.  I didn't ride with my KiPass fob this morning.  I used the passive key that is on my key chain because taking the Connie was a last minute decision.

LoL!

I tried that once too.  Although it worked, my bike didn't run as fast and I was scared something would break, Kawasaki style break

Offline cablebandit

« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2013, 02:07:56 PM »
You can make the warning go away till the bike is shut off and started again. Press the top dash button and hold it while you press and release the bottom button, then release the top button.

That just turns on the orange/red spotlight to blind you the rest of the ride.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2013, 02:52:40 PM »
That just turns on the orange/red spotlight to blind you the rest of the ride.

And at night it is very blinding, just like the hyper-bright blue high-beam indicator.  I usually put a piece of black tape to cover 95% of it.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline sycamoredave

« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2013, 04:32:16 AM »
My '08 had continuing problems with the TPMS, and after several discussions with the dealer, we eventually agreed to disagree.  I simply asked that they be removed, and the dealer was able to change the settings so that the warning does not display any more.  I now have a very effective, simple and reliable system for monitoring my tire pressure.  It consists of a $2 tire gauge, and a responsible owner that checks the tire pressure on a regular basis.  End of story.  I only wish the KIPASS story had a similar ending (nothing like stirring the pot). ;)

Ride safe ...  8)
Dave

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2013, 04:33:57 AM »
So what's the kipass story?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2013, 05:14:02 AM »
+1  :popcorn:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2013, 05:38:00 AM »
And at night it is very blinding, just like the hyper-bright blue high-beam indicator.  I usually put a piece of black tape to cover 95% of it.
Definitely need to put some tape on that light.  Makes using the highbeams useless when my pupils constrict.
My Concours Travels:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2013, 03:21:40 PM »
Definitely need to put some tape on that light.  Makes using the highbeams useless when my pupils constrict.

Exactly.  The only time I use high beams is in remote areas with no other cars (which is the only time one really SHOULD ever use them) and typically there are no street lights either.  So it is dark, dark, dark.  The blinding blue indicator light produces so much glare it obscures my vision, defeating the whole point of using the high beams at all!

The red indicator light is not as bad for some reason.  But it still can be very annoying at night.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2013, 04:50:42 PM »
Well, I think my front has kicked it in.. :'( .   Took a ride today and it took 35 miles for the low battery message to go away.  Then on the way back it came on whilst riding and then on and off and is now finally staying on.  I imagine the death throes will last a bit until the battery goes to battery heaven at some point..sigh.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2013, 05:36:21 AM »
Well, I think my front has kicked it in.. :'( .   Took a ride today and it took 35 miles for the low battery message to go away.  Then on the way back it came on whilst riding and then on and off and is now finally staying on.  I imagine the death throes will last a bit until the battery goes to battery heaven at some point..sigh.

That's exactly what the rear sensor on my bike was doing before it was replaced.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline cablebandit

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2013, 01:05:06 PM »
35 miles?  Yesterday I rode over 300 and it never went away.   ;D