Author Topic: tires.... for trucks...  (Read 1437 times)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
tires.... for trucks...
« on: November 13, 2018, 06:06:42 PM »
just gotta ask if anybody has been buying "modern"retread/re-capped tires in the last year or so...

I used to buy them occasionally, way back 30+ years, and never had an issue then... I have to think the process is pretty refined by todays standards, and very conducive of "green" incentives, not to mention just how much more cost savings to the consumer it provides... like, less than half $$$ per tire, with a reliability plan.

Before the old myths of "tread seperation/tire snakes on the road, etc., begin, most fleets, safety services, utility, schools, all use retreads now... so I don't by the old myths anymore...

My '99 GMC Sierra Half ton pickup, which I have 180k miles on, and is still a happy and rustfree truck, is on the last "dry road safe" treads of the Uniroyal Laredo tires I mounted almost 9 years ago...I think I got tire life they proposed (80k) easily... but they will not be suitable now for winter in Ohio..(frankly, they scared me for the last 5 years in snow here..)

so I jumped on these, after researching a bit, and for the price I paid for 1 tire back then, I get a set of 4, DELIVERED...

https://www.tirerecappers.com/tires/all-terrain-tires/p23570r16-retread-all-star-at/

just curious, I'll share when I get them on this weekend, and test them out... anything looks better than what's on it now, and these look EXTREMEly better...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline MtnRider

Re: tires.... for trucks...
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 06:25:29 PM »
Cool.

When they send a set of four do they try to send a matched set of "carcasses" (ie. all Goodyear xxxx model)? Looks like a good way of saving some cash. Hope they work well for you.

Leo

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 08:12:54 PM »
Think you have another title: "King Frugal Cheap Arssed Bass Turd"  ;D

...I think I got tire life they proposed (80k) easily...

Gawd, if I got 80k out of a set of *anything* on a vee-hickle, I'd think I'd won the Lotto... or better.
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 07:25:44 AM »
I don't know what's more surprising, recaps or Rick F'n Hall!
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 02:26:01 PM »
There's a retread company that has a pretty good reputation in the off road world, as they sell tires that have walnut shell mixed into the rubber for winter traction. Pretty interesting idea.

https://www.treadwright.com/
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 06:52:16 PM »
They have any trouble with squirrels eating the tires?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 07:32:22 PM »
They have any trouble with squirrels eating the tires?

the walnut shell thing is very viable, as many states don't allow studded tires, like W. Va., even tho they have some hellacious snows...
They used to (40 years ago) have retreads with sawdust mixed into the rubber relaminating sheets, that would open up "pores" to increase traction as wear progressed... or so that was said to be the reason, I think that was b/s, and just made the tire wear out faster...

Cool.

When they send a set of four do they try to send a matched set of "carcasses" (ie. all Goodyear xxxx model)? Looks like a good way of saving some cash. Hope they work well for you.

Leo

yes, you can choose that option, but it depends on current stock, and I couldn't wait that long if they couldn't match 4... it also cost $12 each tire, on top of the total, so I didn't do it... thier policy on a 4 tire sale, is to provide at least 2 common carcasses, in a 4 tire sale, and if they have 4, they ship them in that manner, so that works for me knowing I will have a "matched" pair at least, for use up front where it really matters for steering.. rears, meh.. doesn't really matter to me.

Think you have another title: "King Frugal Cheap Arssed Bass Turd"  ;D

Gawd, if I got 80k out of a set of *anything* on a vee-hickle, I'd think I'd won the Lotto... or better.

hahahah
 you're quickly becoming as much of a curmudgeon as I am, and 2x as pricky at times (said in an affectionate manner..)  the 80K tires I had cost me over $800.. and I ain't got the kind of "scratch" I used to have, when I worked... besides, I never built an airplane you cheeky bastich.... :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
luv ya bro.

There's a retread company that has a pretty good reputation in the off road world, as they sell tires that have walnut shell mixed into the rubber for winter traction. Pretty interesting idea.

https://www.treadwright.com/

I almost pressed the button and bought their tires before I chose the ones I did, Liked the look, and the quality, and seriously considered them, but I weighed the fact I don't know how long I'll actually have this truck, and those tires and cost(higher by 2x), made me take the cheap route... if they last 2 full winters, I'm happy; I only spent $275 for 4 robust tires, free delivery, be here tomorrow...
sad pat is I already have 2 nice trucks, sitting here, and needing to be "resurrected" and gotten on the road, one that is wearing brand new Bridgstone off road tires.. but different (15") size, and the other dead truck currently being fixed both have NEW tires (that truck just got "dropped off the flatbed", pictures below, and damaging the immaculate body,and also the front end of my third truck... during its attempted trip to get it refurbed at my mechanics place)   so sitting or selling, even with good tires, is a loss again...

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2018, 05:30:18 PM »
update

things ain't looking good on the "retread" tires.... very unhappy right now... trying to return them...

should have went with the high priced ones, that did "bead to bead" laminations...

serious issues without even mounting these yet...

Offline Hooligan

• never assume, get the facts
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2018, 11:24:41 PM »
No offence, but it sounds like a "penny wise, pound foolish" situation to me.

I don't do retreads at all. I bought my first car many years ago, which had retreads on. As i was an inexperienced driver at the time, I did not look for things like that.

I had the car for a week, when the front left tire delaminated in a sharp bend on the freeway, and I almost lost control.

Since then, I've replaced my tires with new ones when needed. I say again, I don't do retreads.

What is the cost/worth of a life? Especially where you guys live with snow and heavy rains......

Anyway, I sincerely hope you can get your tire issues/refunds resolved in a timely matter. Good luck!!
It is what it is....If not, it must be something else.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2018, 03:19:55 PM »
PROGRESS REPORT....

listening to Joe Cocker right now, and having a brew, both of which I haven't done in quite a while...

soooooo....
Feelin' Alllllllright......

new Cooper Discoverer RTX's are on, very sweet tires, highly recommended......
especially for the price...

FedEx picked up the p.o.s. retreads at noon, and they are on the way back to the source...
all that is left is to get money put back into my account, and all will be well in Oh-Hi-Oh.
 :beerchug: