Author Topic: Gas in the airbox! (Finally resolved)  (Read 35453 times)

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
Re: Gas in the airbox! (Finally resolved)
« Reply #80 on: May 09, 2015, 12:03:28 PM »
wow - 510.00 to clean and kit the carbs - I should really increase my prices!  Steve

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
« Reply #81 on: May 09, 2015, 01:30:03 PM »
Carb cleaning and kitting was a little expensive. Perhaps because you went to a dealership.

Even here in the city, a local small independent bike shop was going to clean and do a "basic rekitting" on my carbs for $200 flat plus parts if I took the carbs out to him. He was also OK with people bringing their own parts. He's a nice older gentleman. Basically a one man operation with 2 part-time techs.

I would recommend you find a small one man shop there where you live. They are always cheaper and usually much better.

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #82 on: May 09, 2015, 05:08:09 PM »
Interesting, they charged for 4 quarts/ liters of oil for a bike that holds 3. You had best check the oil for being over full. They may have put in 3.7 liters like it says on the engine. That's for a freshly assembled engine after a tear down. Over full on oil can present more opportunities to ride a Beemer 800. :(
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #83 on: May 09, 2015, 05:12:57 PM »
:-\ I got the bike back! ;D

It DOES run exceptionally well.
The owner apologized profusely stating that they are down two techs, backed up with bikes, and alot about a parts drought inn the area. While I am actually satisfied with the work they've done, I will be hesitant to bring her back, uless I have no choice.
They where good enough to realize that they where taking to long and they DID loan be a really nice ride to play with for a week and a half.

Here is the invoice  :o

sooooo, with the initial first repair costs you already paid out... I'm thinking you have more money tied up in getting this running than the bike cost...
just how much of the initial repair (that was never done...) did they remit back to you?

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Engraverwilliam

« Reply #84 on: May 09, 2015, 05:23:06 PM »
Not a **** thing. All I know isnow I get to ride her to work on Monday. I am thrilled to have her back. Next time she needs repairs I am taking it elseware. I wish I where the gearheads you all are. I tried, my last bike died.
William Evans
2001 Kawasaki zg1000 Concours - Age 45 , Los Angeles, CA

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #85 on: May 09, 2015, 08:00:07 PM »
Wow!!
Nothing else. Just Wow!
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #86 on: May 09, 2015, 09:44:11 PM »
Keep in mind that there could be some bikers near you that might give you a hand with something. I remember once upon a time that people would hold classes at somebody's house to show how to do some work and at the same time you could get the work done on your bike for free. Well, maybe the cost of some beer and food.

Offline Engraverwilliam

« Reply #87 on: May 10, 2015, 01:39:38 AM »
any of youz guys live in the LA area?
William Evans

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #88 on: May 11, 2015, 04:07:54 AM »
They used very good oil- Motul 5100 is my favorite oil. I bet it shifts slicker than snot on grease.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #89 on: May 11, 2015, 06:21:47 AM »
That would be interesting to hear. Mine has never been a smooth shifter no matter what I use.

Offline JDM

« Reply #90 on: May 11, 2015, 06:58:15 AM »
any of youz guys live in the LA area?

William, you can do a lot of your own work on the Connie if you just take your time and purchase a shop manual. You have a lot of resources    to pull from here, and the old Connie is just about bullet proof. Trust me one thing you need to do, is add overflow tubes because hydrolock is a Connie killer.                         
If you have seen heaven, I am sure something scared the hell out of you.

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #91 on: May 11, 2015, 08:32:42 AM »
That was really great of them to let you have a loaner. You dont see that too often.
What they charged you is very much reasonable and normal for a dealer shop.
I say you did well considering you did not want to do any of this yourself.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline Engraverwilliam

« Reply #92 on: May 11, 2015, 10:06:13 AM »
All in all, I'm just glad to be riding my Sparrow again. The loaner was a nice bike and  you are correct that you do not see that very often. I told them that the service was above what was expected. I also told the Owner that they should buy a half a dozen used 250s so they can extend that service to other long term repair customers. He gave me the not a bad idea bottom lip. Anyways, riding the other bike that is not ours is like spending the night for two weeks on someones couch then finally getting home to your own bed. She is big, Heavy and awesome.

and yes she shifts really smooth. I noticed that too.
William Evans