Author Topic: How do I keep it from Hydro-ing again?  (Read 50502 times)

Offline salnap

• Springfield MA
Re: How do I keep it from Hydro-ing again?
« Reply #100 on: August 14, 2015, 05:42:32 AM »
Purely speculating here.  I would bet there are quite a few petcocks that would leak if given the chance right now.  However, the float needles are doing their job for now, so this goes unnoticed.  That day when a grain of rust or sand meets it's new friend the float needle, there will be trouble.  Kind of hard to prevent other than replace or rebuild every few years.  Connie owners are notoriously frugal.  Why fix something that isn't broke......

so if knowing this given chance of petcock leaking, why not start there? if a grain of sand will stick open a float, why not install a filter?

being frugal I would think they would pull their carbs off in the off season, or once a year, and give them a good cleaning. with a service manual they could follow step by step directions on carb removal, disassembly, cleaning, reassembly, reinstalling.
 paying someone else to clean, re-jet, set float height, install tubes sounds opposite of frugal.

seems like the frugal way to go is a fuel filter. manual petcocks are a bit more expensive than fuel filters, but effective. the few people ive seen post about filters and inline shut off are almost ganged up on by the collective. it's almost like a brain washing. " WE DID TUBES, ITS THE ONLY WAY "

I'm not trying to be a dick, or argumentative, but it looks like every option other than tubes is ridiculed.

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #101 on: August 14, 2015, 05:58:13 AM »
I've had my tank off at least 3 to 4 times a year for the last 3 years for various reasons, valve adjusts, cam swaps, carb swaps and lots of jetting changes.  Every time I removed the fuel line the petcock worked as it should and no gas leaked out.

This spring when I removed it to do a 1052cc conversion kit I expected the same results as always, remove seat, remove tank and on and on.  WRONG!  It went, remove seat, remove fuel line ... OH S**T ... install fuel line fast and go find something to drain all the gas in the tank into cause the petcock decided to not stop the gas from flowing any more.

I maintain my bike like any smart owner but when a petcock or float needles decide to not work any more most of the time there's no warning signs.  You either come out to your bike with a puddle of gas under it cause your ARE a smart owner and installed overflow tubes for insurance, or you come out to your bike, hit the starter and CLUNK ... well, how hard could replacing a connecting rod be anyways.
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #102 on: August 14, 2015, 06:09:04 AM »
so if knowing this given chance of petcock leaking, why not start there? if a grain of sand will stick open a float, why not install a filter?

being frugal I would think they would pull their carbs off in the off season, or once a year, and give them a good cleaning. with a service manual they could follow step by step directions on carb removal, disassembly, cleaning, reassembly, reinstalling.
 paying someone else to clean, re-jet, set float height, install tubes sounds opposite of frugal.

seems like the frugal way to go is a fuel filter. manual petcocks are a bit more expensive than fuel filters, but effective. the few people ive seen post about filters and inline shut off are almost ganged up on by the collective. it's almost like a brain washing. " WE DID TUBES, ITS THE ONLY WAY "

I'm not trying to be a dick, or argumentative, but it looks like every option other than tubes is ridiculed.

:banghead: :deadhorse:

Offline salnap

• Springfield MA
« Reply #103 on: August 14, 2015, 06:21:00 AM »
wouldn't a pingel manual have been insurance also?

7 pages, 103 responses. is the horse dead enough yet?

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #104 on: August 14, 2015, 06:59:29 AM »
Purely speculating here.  I would bet there are quite a few petcocks that would leak if given the chance right now.  However, the float needles are doing their job for now, so this goes unnoticed.  That day when a grain of rust or sand meets it's new friend the float needle, there will be trouble.  Kind of hard to prevent other than replace or rebuild every few years.  Connie owners are notoriously frugal.  Why fix something that isn't broke......

Experience has me disagreeing with this statement. In my experience with these carbs, here are some observations;

1) as time / miles progress, and wear occurs, the fuel levels creep upward. This is the ordinary state of affairs. Given enough time, the fuel levels are getting dangerously close to overflowing even with a properly functioning petcock.

2) fuel valves / floats are intended to control the volume and level of the fuel, they really aren't up to the task of holding a full tank of fuel nor were they intended to.

3)Given the ordinary wear mentioned in #1, all it takes is one needle to start leaking to reduce the pressure... and there's the setup for a hydrolock.

And to Salnap, here's some more info, just to get you up to speed... I don't know how long you've owned your 1000 or what your experience with these bikes / carbs is. I will tell you that I've been dealing with these bike for 10 years, I've done over 500 sets of carbs in the last 5 years, and lot's of experience before that when prior to offering my carb services. "Back in the day" the biggest amount of posting and discussion swirled around carb work, rebuilding, problems, etc. In fact hydrolock really wasn't even as known as it is now. there was no hydrolock rod test, etc. When I and a few others started seeing more and more reports of bent rods, looking for a viable, inexpensive fix evolved. there was also a large contingency of folks who tried and tried to do thier own carb work with miserable results. Maybe really getting the carbs right isn't as easy as you may think.
   Today, many of the connie owners you see here are long time owners with many years of experience on thier bikes. Enthusiasts of a discontinued model, and many own more than one. What you see here is often the best advise developed from years and years of ownership and combined knowledge. Maybe you ought to think about that whenever you get advise from these guys. Most, through years of experience, know what works and what doesn't. they know ALL the options and choose what works for them, you have the same options to make your own choices too. Maybe if you come  up with a better option we'll all be onboard with it. Just a thought. steve

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #105 on: August 14, 2015, 07:05:50 AM »
1) as time / miles progress, and wear occurs, the fuel levels creep upward. This is the ordinary state of affairs. Given enough time, the fuel levels are getting dangerously close to overflowing even with a properly functioning petcock.
 steve

I was thinking was an issue too but had no basis for it (other than seeing it each time I cleaned a set of carbs - oops).
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline kwakrider

• Black- 2009
« Reply #106 on: August 14, 2015, 07:15:01 AM »
wouldn't a pingel manual have been insurance also?

7 pages, 103 responses. is the horse dead enough yet?

Apparently not!!

Offline salnap

• Springfield MA
« Reply #107 on: August 14, 2015, 07:30:26 AM »
Steve
I'm not saying I have a better solution.
and I realize some of these guys have all the experience and knowledge.

all I'm saying is there's options. different causes and options to each of the causes.

but I'm new and inexperienced

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #108 on: August 14, 2015, 09:01:43 AM »
  When I and a few others started seeing more and more reports of bent rods, looking for a viable, inexpensive fix evolved. there was also a large contingency of folks who tried and tried to do thier own carb work with miserable results. Maybe really getting the carbs right isn't as easy as you may think.
   Today, many of the connie owners you see here are long time owners with many years of experience on thier bikes. Enthusiasts of a discontinued model, and many own more than one. What you see here is often the best advise developed from years and years of ownership and combined knowledge. Maybe you ought to think about that whenever you get advise from these guys. Most, through years of experience, know what works and what doesn't. they know ALL the options and choose what works for them, you have the same options to make your own choices too. Maybe if you come  up with a better option we'll all be onboard with it. Just a thought. steve

I'm really tempted to close this thread with SISF's comments as they ring spot on....
(1) Maintain your petcock or convert it to manual and don't ever forget it....
(2) Maintain your carbs as even though you've covered the step above there is still the chance the valve may leak by. Ask my engineering crew about the day they all but put fuel in the water when not one but two valves leaked by...
(3) Install overflow tubes or not... Its your bike and dime....    :deadhorse:
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010