Author Topic: Adjustable windshield UPDATED w/ PICS on Page 3& 4  (Read 12750 times)

Offline DarkKnight

Re: Adjustable windshield UPDATED w/ PICS on Page 3
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2011, 06:53:14 PM »
If you look at the first picture, you can see little round circles....  I mated the fiberglass to to the cee baily.
 1st- I scuffed up both pieces
2nd -I drilled little holes all over through the fiberglass/plexiglass(ceebaily)
3rd- I took a large drill bit and made bevels into the small drill bit holeson the plexi side. this allows fiberglass resin to flow through the plexiglass and make a larger diameter resin puddle on the plexi side of the adhered pieces. Now with these plugs dry and screws for windshield and adjusting arms are in place, it can't let go. (i hope)
The fiberglass was too flexible alone and the plexiglass might crack alone. The two together is like bones and ligaments. (i don't know what the heck I'm doing)
It is very rigid and will hold the adjusting arms.
I am going to try and paint it tomorrow after work.

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2011, 07:35:10 PM »
Awesome job! Thanks for keeping us updated, I will be VERY interested in how the adjustable shield affects wind noise. Please continue to keep us in the loop!
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline DarkKnight

« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2011, 08:12:07 PM »
Awesome job! Thanks for keeping us updated, I will be VERY interested in how the adjustable shield affects wind noise. Please continue to keep us in the loop!
One minor detail............... I haven't done any road tests yet :-\
 I'm very interested too!
 Right now at the lowest postion the BMW windshield that fits the arms (with cover plates too) sticks up a little on the high side. I still look over the shield, but I want air for slower riding. It goes up to the moon. So the high side is not a problem. The angle also changes, so I don't know what to expect. Maybe it will end up acting like it did on the R1150Rt that it came from, but I never even seen a R1150Rt in real life. So???

Offline DarkKnight

« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2011, 08:26:50 PM »
The pictures do make it look a little rough, but it's starting to come together.

Offline Lodogg2221

« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2011, 09:20:25 PM »
So would it work ok using a shield as a base, or maybe a modded Rifle base, or do you think it needs to be fiberglass? 

Also, once you get it done, Im sure you will, but please post pics of the range of motion! 

Just so I have it straight, the shield and adjusting gear is from a BMW R1150?
How hard is that to find?

Any idea if there are other similar systems that will work? 
Im guessing its more of a trial and error type of thing, or buy it and try it...
Say what?

Offline DarkKnight

« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2011, 04:47:44 AM »
So would it work ok using a shield as a base, or maybe a modded Rifle base, or do you think it needs to be fiberglass? 

Also, once you get it done, Im sure you will, but please post pics of the range of motion! 

Just so I have it straight, the shield and adjusting gear is from a BMW R1150?
How hard is that to find?

Any idea if there are other similar systems that will work? 
Im guessing its more of a trial and error type of thing, or buy it and try it...

If I had a close up look at a rifle, I would have made a judgement call. But since it needed support added at the top edge, I didn't want any splice work in that area. Plus I started to think about cost...If it all ended up in the trash.
 Yes they are from BMW. I bought the adjuster off e-bay $100 w/ motor... ending up tossing the motor.
$200 for the windshield..only because it came w/ mounting cover plates to look finished.
I had no idea if it would fit. I just spun the wheel.

Offline Tele130

« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2011, 10:13:22 AM »
Cool  :thumbs:  Very interested in the "Ride Report".  Nice job!! :chugbeer:
Does this mean we get a "Re-Do" on life too?

Doug Colton
2006 Concours............nice ride!!!!!

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2011, 01:25:07 PM »
Still here and following along. I like innovation almost as much as MacGyvering things.

Cool.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline DarkKnight

« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2011, 03:26:10 PM »
Okay all set for a test ride... Idid a quick primer paint and mount the windshield.

Offline DarkKnight

« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2011, 03:27:38 PM »
 In the down postion, there is a huge air gap under the windshield... see 1st pic.

I'll get back about the ride.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 04:10:17 PM by DarkKnight »

Offline DarkKnight

« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2011, 04:04:15 PM »
Ok! took it for a test ride. I seem to be getting more air in the lowest postion. There is a solid stream coming up under the windshield, but only really felt with a hand, it's hard to tell with a helmet(seems to be more air all around)
 When I get to 65mph I start to hear buffeting while in the lowest postion. I turned the shield all the way up and noise is completely gone.  My old Cee Baiily that was cut down made buffeting around 40 mph and never stopped. buffeting allt he way up to 240mph. ;) You had to lay on the tank for sound relief.
 I am very happy with it.
There was one slight problem that I didn't anticipate. When going above 50 the shield has to be over compensated going up, because it wants to relax back down. If I go fully up, no problem, it likes it there. The adjuster has a worm gear, so I'm not sure how it rolls back when going half way up.  The adjuster is spring loaded with springs pulling toward down postion, so this and the wind and the vibration makes the shield want to go back a little from where I set it.
I really don't see this as too much problem, because I will most likely go for fully up or fully down. Either look over or look through, but why look through the edge?  Either get busy livin or get busy dying!

Offline CoffeeRider

Re: Adjustable windshield UPDATED w/ PICS on Page 3& 4
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2011, 05:14:45 PM »
 :)Me likey, me wantey. Let me know when you are going to start producing them and what they will cost and I just might be your first customer!
2002 Concours (It's not grey, it's SilverDammit)
Targa windshield, Fender extender, Murph's knee savers, bar risers, Optronix driving lights, Garmin Quest GPS, hyperlights, Back off stop light flasher, backrest extender

Offline DarkKnight

« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2011, 05:30:11 PM »
:)Me likey, me wantey. Let me know when you are going to start producing them and what they will cost and I just might be your first customer!

This is what you need

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/R1100RT-R1150RT-windshield-bracket-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem256451ce7aQQitemZ160596872826QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_500wt_814

Offline Bosgarage57

« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2011, 06:07:36 PM »
Very good job you!  First with that amazing fairing and now the windshield!  If we could combine you and SISF we'd have an evil genious!

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2011, 07:40:20 PM »
I'll take mine in '06 blue, thanks!
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190