Author Topic: Beartooth Passs 7/8/11  (Read 5619 times)

Offline Stavee

Beartooth Passs 7/8/11
« on: July 09, 2011, 02:22:03 PM »
Just got back from beartooth pass. This was my first time there, but have been trying to get there for years. After leaving Stevewfl on Wednesday in Frisco, CO. I went home to pack for the trip that turned out to be now on the top of my list of places to go to again. I tried to post to the media site above but not sure I did it correctly. Any way here is a link   http://s95.photobucket.com/albums/l140/n7myr/Bear%20tooth%20pass/?albumview=slideshow    The pics are  from Donald and Stavee. This seems like a combination of Lolo and rocky mtn nat park, no entry fee required. Our route is from Cody, Wy 120, 296 & 212 to  Red Lodge, MT.
First bike '38 DKW

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: Beartooth Passs 7/8/11
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 03:15:54 PM »
WOW @ those pics!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 05:39:06 PM »
Nice photos.

I am surprised at how much snow <isn't> in the pass now- I was there in the last week of June and there was more than 15 feet of snow in the higher parts of that route. These photos were taken in the same pass (my route was between Cooke City and Red Lodge on Rt. 212).

Brian
Just got back from beartooth pass. This was my first time there, but have been trying to get there for years. After leaving Stevewfl on Wednesday in Frisco, CO. I went home to pack for the trip that turned out to be now on the top of my list of places to go to again. I tried to post to the media site above but not sure I did it correctly. Any way here is a link   http://s95.photobucket.com/albums/l140/n7myr/Bear%20tooth%20pass/?albumview=slideshow    The pics are  from Donald and Stavee. This seems like a combination of Lolo and rocky mtn nat park, no entry fee required. Our route is from Cody, Wy 120, 296 & 212 to  Red Lodge, MT.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Stavee

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 06:10:34 PM »
There were minor patches of snow on the ground and the temp was 37 on top @ 10AM. I wanted a photo of the waterfall but had no where to stop except in the construction line at the lake. The runoff this year is  high everywhere due to the fast melt making the waterfall spectacular.
Brian how about the 70mph in MT. did you try it???

I am surprised at how much snow <isn't> in the pass now- I was there in the last week of June and there was more than 15 feet of snow in the higher parts of that route. These photos were taken in the same pass (my route was between Cooke City and Red Lodge on Rt. 212).
Brian
First bike '38 DKW

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 08:21:17 PM »
Try it... I set the CC to 75 MPH! I thought it was going to be a gentle ride down out of the Rockies: imagine my surprise at the first 35 MPH corner... and then my amazement at the first 20 MPH switchback. I have to say that coming from 'back east', I was amazed as those westerners will put a 70 or 75 MPH sign on a two- lane road with mailboxes on it; around here that would be 35 MPH tops.

I still cannot believe how green and snow- free it was on 8 July compared with just three weeks before. And when I ran the pass it had only been open a couple of weeks. No appreciable water flowing either but that is certainly because the snow had not begun to melt in any amount yet.

Charles Kuralt said that that section of Rt. 212 was the 'most beautiful drive in America'. It is probably best when the trees are leafed out and everything is green although it most certainly was a fantastic ride covered in snow too. A fantastic piece of real estate we got ourselves here (the US).

Brian

There were minor patches of snow on the ground and the temp was 37 on top @ 10AM. I wanted a photo of the waterfall but had no where to stop except in the construction line at the lake. The runoff this year is  high everywhere due to the fast melt making the waterfall spectacular.
Brian how about the 70mph in MT. did you try it???
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline OPUS

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 07:11:33 AM »
Stavee great pics!  Leaving in one week for Beartooth. You have me even more excited after viewing your trip. I was wondering where you stayed there the red cabins look like my style.  Thanks OPUS

Offline Stavee

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 12:04:30 PM »
Stavee great pics!  Leaving in one week for Beartooth. You have me even more excited after viewing your trip. I was wondering where you stayed there the red cabins look like my style.  Thanks OPUS

Those cabins are behind the comfort inn in Cody Wy.  Trust me nothing is cheep there. They were clean and fresh with a touch of rustic trappings. I especially liked the overhang to keep the bikes out of the weather. They had 1.5" hail the day before we arrived.
First bike '38 DKW

Offline Bigcat

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 10:58:32 AM »
Great pics Stavee. I was supposed be up there last Sept on a two week trip but had to cancel due to son coming home on leave. Your pics show what I missed. Maybe this fall..
09 C-14 abs
98 CBR1100XX

Offline okxd45

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 02:15:31 PM »
Simply beautiful.  :)
Jeff
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 NIV)

Offline Rudy

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 09:07:08 AM »
I've been there three times and cannot wait for the fourth. That countryside makes a man feel small and insignificant.

Sofa King

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 10:19:58 AM »
You west coast guys can 'Kiss my grits!'. 

I'm jealous.  The Blue Ridge Mtns are nice, but the Rockies...no comparison.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011, 10:59:33 AM »
Loved the pics Stavee! Thanks for sharing with the class.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline IDZG14

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2011, 09:51:15 PM »
Great pics!!   I went through there a few years ago, unfortunately in a car.  I plan on doing it again, on the bike  :) 
2010 Concours 14, 2008 HD Softail Custom

Offline Dan

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2011, 04:47:35 PM »
Were u on a very light blue connie ridin thru yellowstone, c10, with h way pegs.  If so I saw u...

We were there 3 days.

I am goin back. I am in sd ca, gonna head up to san jose and then across to y stone, hit the pass, and then ride on back to pa, sometime around aug 20, not sure exactly...  But I did c a lt blue connie up there about that time. only one I saw though lots of g wings on that trip. 

TTYL.

Dan in pa,

well sd ca rt now..

Offline OPUS

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2011, 10:51:47 AM »
Just got back Yellowstone/Beartooth it truly is amazing pics don't do it justice.

valkmc

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2011, 03:45:42 PM »
Went through in late June on the way to Alaska, never seen anything like.....it was amazing.

Offline Frank ZZR

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2011, 11:05:57 PM »
Just went through today. This was my fourth time. It is amazing and never gets old. One of the most scenic roads in North America.
2010 C 14 ABS
2008 ZX 250
2007 Vulcan 900 Custom
2002 ZZR 1200

Offline Dan

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2011, 11:44:00 PM »
I will be hitting the pass maybe over the weekend.... 

Wish everyone a great time in the ne at the rally... 

Ride safe
Dan

Offline shokdimn

• Yeah, I'll trailer it!
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2011, 04:33:15 PM »
Taken on the Wyoming side a few miles south of the Montana Line.

From the top of that mountain, where that snow is in the middle of the pic, to the bottom is a long steep slide IMO.

There are 4 dots about half-way up the snow in the middle of the pic.

It’s two snow boarders and two dogs!
From a distance and without warning, relámpago!

Offline Dan

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2011, 02:40:21 PM »
I love that windy road sign, and I passed it on rt 12 and I did not take the pic, I may have to pirate that one....

Have a great day guys.

Dan in pa.