Author Topic: Don't get excited...brakes and other things  (Read 1046 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Don't get excited...brakes and other things
« on: October 20, 2020, 11:34:01 AM »
Ok, I'm helping someone out that has had very little maintenance (if any) on his 2008 C14 ABS.  I'm going to help him flush the rear brake fluid.  Seems his rear brake is locking up on him.  Could be a number of things but I'm thinking caliper at the moment as he's not getting any ABS light when it happens.  Rear rotor looks torched.  I'm going to bleed it but I don't hold out any hope that will fix it.  Additionally, he's totally knackered the windscreen mechanism by running into something with the shield.  In fact, I think the bike is a cluster f but fixable.  I'm thinking 35000 to 50000 miles on the bike.  Won't know for sure until tomorrow.  He's also never heard of the rear brake recall...sigh.  Will need to check his vin with Kwackers.  Assuming it's caliper, we're looking at a full rear brake job and a replacement caliper assuming it is the caliper and not the rear MC or the ABS unit.  He hasn't done any maintenance except change the oil that I'm aware of.

So, in it's present state, what do you think the bike is worth?  No, it won't be for me.  It will be for someone else.  I'm entrenched in Indian's camp now.  Not going back.  I'll get it back up to snuff and then sell it assuming he goes for the low ball offer.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Don't get excited...brakes and other things
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 02:44:16 PM »
'bout the same price as a low mileage '06 c10.....

Offline bigthaw

• C14 2013
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 03:05:27 PM »
    1500-1800
2013 ,   C14, lotsamods...,Delkevic,VStream, MRA mini screen, risers/wedges, 190/55, sargent seat, fenda extend...LED headlights...only bike bought new, 1974 Z1B Kaw 900 at Arts Kawasaki Ocala Fl.$ $2400 otd. 1st bike 1964 Honda 305 Superhawk;$495 in'67 w 2000 mi.
 Don't be a Nimrod, confound the globilists

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2020, 07:48:32 PM »
Maybe in good condition but with all he's got wrong I'm thinking that's a bit high.  It's typical of someone who puts off maintenance until something fails and then its a snowball down a mountain event.  I think I'm going to bleed the rear brakes and make him an offer.  He'll probably be insulted but to me the bike isn't worth anything in the shape it's in.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Freddy

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2020, 10:48:31 PM »
I've had more experience than most with ABS issues and fixes on these bikes.  The ABS unit on these early bikes has 2 types failures; 1 where the rear brake will not function at all; 2. the rear brakes locks on and will not release without opening a bleeder.  However, other things can cause these same faults eg. pebble stuck master cyl linkage (recall issue) and/or the master cyl piston seized part way in the bore (due to crud build-up within).  I offer a repair and/or exchange service on these early ABS units where it's at fault, but I'm not close by.  They retail for $2400 in Australia.
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2020, 05:54:42 AM »
It's fairly easy to determine if the ABS unit or MC is at fault once it sticks.  I'll see this morning and update.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2020, 11:26:25 AM »
Well, it won't bleed and nothing comes out of the bleeder...I'm thinking ABS unit.  He's taking it in to a dealer and have them look at it.

Offline Freddy

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2020, 05:37:37 PM »
I'm thinking ABS unit.   :thumbs:
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline PH14

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2020, 07:21:01 PM »
I love my 2009 non-ABS model  :D

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2020, 07:37:36 PM »
Actually tried to buy it from him as is but he likes it too much....