Author Topic: 100,000 Mile C-14's  (Read 5996 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: 100,000 Mile C-14's
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2020, 06:03:44 AM »
OK, ya caught me. Being that the bike shop in San Jose recently quoted me $830. and I really don't trust these "mechanics" anyways from the stories I hear, I will do it if I notice a lack of normal valve noise, the mpg drops or it runs differently.

As you know, I waited far too long to check/adjust mine, and it was way off.  There was no drop in MPG and no valve noise.  Although it was running poorly and performance was considerably off.  As to whether any permanent damage can be done unless there are symptoms, I don't know; perhaps?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2020, 08:19:04 PM »
As you know, I waited far too long to check/adjust mine, and it was way off.  There was no drop in MPG and no valve noise.  Although it was running poorly and performance was considerably off.  As to whether any permanent damage can be done unless there are symptoms, I don't know; perhaps?
The C-14 engine and running gear is built like brick outhouse- you would have to flog it mercilessly for years, never do any maintenance or be a complete idiot to harm it. 5 quarts of syn oil plus water cooling and being way under stressed means it's virtually bulletproof. My '74 Z-1 still purrs and rips after 45 years and it's air cooled.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2020, 09:06:05 PM »
No flaming hear. I did mine once and dont plan to do it again.Just gonna ride it. I wanted a feel for how often people with high milage bikes checked them.
Wayne
Added a pic of my 74

OK, ya caught me. Being that the bike shop in San Jose recently quoted me $830. and I really don't trust these "mechanics" anyways from the stories I hear, I will do it if I notice a lack of normal valve noise, the mpg drops or it runs differently. I'm never selling it, so any harm being done is my problem. No one on here has complained of any burnt valves yet either, and I'm pretty sure there are more bikes with more miles than mine w/o valve checks. The spark plugs will tell a tale when I replace them after 10 years and 100k miles. Even though it is in perfect shape, the bike is only worth probably $2,000. and will outlive my riding time I'm sure the way I'm maintaining it. You guys can flame me, but I have asbestos underwears. ;)
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2020, 06:51:35 AM »
I had 175,000 on my first 08, (pictured at track day in my avatar) Only normal maintenance and was was running great until it was killed by death- rear-ended by a Corolla.
My replacement 08 now at 94,000. Rather not talk  about my 09
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2020, 10:51:59 AM »
Boys and girls, the O.P. stated MAJOR repairs ;) Oil, filter, fluids, pads, tires are not major repairs ;)

Noted, and response edited below.

'10 purchased in March of 2011, warranty runs out next month. :(

approx. 94,000+ miles  :)

One set of spark plugs (@50,000+ mi),
 two valve adjustments (@18,000 mi.+ & @50,000+ mi),
 3rd-4th gears replaced under warranty for broken tooth on 4th gear @approx 48,000 miles.

Many will continue to say this bike is bullet proof, and perhaps most are. However my experience was not unique, and once the dealer called the
area rep he was able to accurately guess what the problem was over the phone. He had seen this before. The tooth broke off of my 4th gear and
fell down into bottom of the case. No I wasn't rough on it and I always use the clutch to shift gears. I think there was a known heat treatment problem
somewhere in the mix as the 3-4th gear part numbers changed well before the 1st gear ratio change in '15.

other not bulletproofs:

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=20433.msg253669#msg253669

http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-14-zg1400-general-chat-and-tech/concours-tranmission/

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=19841.0

....so IMO, pretty reliable bike and I love mine,....... but bulletproof?  No.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2020, 02:46:17 PM »
Yeah, there are a few failure points on this model. I had the famous rear end seal failure, where the rear end lube (Easy boys!) in the hub splatters all over the wheel, road and rear fender. Also, several of us have had the gear position indicator fail, and a few other slightly weak areas. Small in percentage or actual number of cases certainly but there are enough of them that quite a few of us have either had it happen or directly watched it happen to other bikes.

And I must say, a C-14 down for a broken transmission gear is a sorry and sorta' scary sight: in the case of the one I saw in person, a hulk of a chassis surrounded by three tables full 'o C-14 parts. More than far enough torn down to wonder if it could be reassembled correctly ever again though all went well in this instance (very competent and able local dealer here).

Brian

<snip>

Many will continue to say this bike is bullet proof, and perhaps most are. However my experience was not unique, and once the dealer called the
area rep he was able to accurately guess what the problem was over the phone. He had seen this before. The tooth broke off of my 4th gear and
fell down into bottom of the case. No I wasn't rough on it and I always use the clutch to shift gears. I think there was a known heat treatment problem
somewhere in the mix as the 3-4th gear part numbers changed well before the 1st gear ratio change in '15.

other not bulletproofs:

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=20433.msg253669#msg253669

http://forum.cog-online.org/concours-14-zg1400-general-chat-and-tech/concours-tranmission/

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=19841.0

....so IMO, pretty reliable bike and I love mine,....... but bulletproof?  No.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2020, 08:39:29 PM »
No flaming hear. I did mine once and dont plan to do it again.Just gonna ride it. I wanted a feel for how often people with high milage bikes checked them.
Wayne
Added a pic of my 74
IMHO the 1973-74 Z-1's are the best looking original superbikes- liking the black headers. Mine still has the original clutch, Mikunis, dual points and rear brake pads. My Z-1 smoked a lot of Hondas, H2's and Corvettes in it's day and still feisty.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2020, 09:51:00 AM »
I agree. I rebuilt a 1000 motor. Mild cams, 29 smoothbores and 1075 bore. It is a lot of fun. I dont ride it that much anymore but it gets ridden every year. I bought it form a friend in 1976.
Wayne

IMHO the 1973-74 Z-1's are the best looking original superbikes- liking the black headers. Mine still has the original clutch, Mikunis, dual points and rear brake pads. My Z-1 smoked a lot of Hondas, H2's and Corvettes in it's day and still feisty.
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2020, 02:40:19 PM »
Hey guys, it's been a while but I used to be the proud owner of a 2012 C14. I owned and rode it for 2 years before trading it in and it had 50k miles on it when I let it go (approximately), but it was running great at that time with zero issues. I traded for a Triumph Trophy, a really nice bike, with serious issues after 30k miles! I am now on a Triumph Tiger and it, too, is a great bike but I am preparing to send it in for a warranty repair, bad alternator, and then see where it goes from there. The Trophy started failing the exact same way, bad alternator. Then, 2 of the gears had to be replaced, the clutch basket had to be replaced, and finally, it sucked a valve and that was the end of that bike for me. It spent 8 months of 1 year in the shop! The Tiger was their way of helping me get out of the Trophy. I do like the legroom the ADV bike offers but I do miss the wind protection offered from a sport touring bike (it's very windy and noisy on the Tiger and I am not a huge fan of that). I read how all of you are enjoying trouble-free ownership and I get jealous! I am 100% confident I would have had 200k miles on my 2012 had I not traded it. Do I regret letting it go? Heck yeah! I have always been partial toward the C14 and will be so until it dies! I did need to test the waters but in the end, I do miss my Concours and if my knees can handle it once the Tiger is done, there is a good possibility I am going back to the Concours. I miss my flashed C14; so much power, soooo smooth, so much fun to ride but I took the bait and have to finish what I started. Enjoy those trouble-free miles boys and I might be back, someday.
Mike
Ojai, CA
2016 Black Triumph Trophy SE

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2020, 07:29:53 PM »
Hey guys, it's been a while but I used to be the proud owner of a 2012 C14. I owned and rode it for 2 years before trading it in and it had 50k miles on it when I let it go (approximately), but it was running great at that time with zero issues. I traded for a Triumph Trophy, a really nice bike, with serious issues after 30k miles! I am now on a Triumph Tiger and it, too, is a great bike but I am preparing to send it in for a warranty repair, bad alternator, and then see where it goes from there. The Trophy started failing the exact same way, bad alternator. Then, 2 of the gears had to be replaced, the clutch basket had to be replaced, and finally, it sucked a valve and that was the end of that bike for me. It spent 8 months of 1 year in the shop! The Tiger was their way of helping me get out of the Trophy. I do like the legroom the ADV bike offers but I do miss the wind protection offered from a sport touring bike (it's very windy and noisy on the Tiger and I am not a huge fan of that). I read how all of you are enjoying trouble-free ownership and I get jealous! I am 100% confident I would have had 200k miles on my 2012 had I not traded it. Do I regret letting it go? Heck yeah! I have always been partial toward the C14 and will be so until it dies! I did need to test the waters but in the end, I do miss my Concours and if my knees can handle it once the Tiger is done, there is a good possibility I am going back to the Concours. I miss my flashed C14; so much power, soooo smooth, so much fun to ride but I took the bait and have to finish what I started. Enjoy those trouble-free miles boys and I might be back, someday.
Mike I remember you well since Ojai is one of my 5 favorite places to ride in Ca. I used to give you grief about the wife and spending money- all in good fun I hope. It's good to hear you are coming back to your senses after doing other bikes, and being disappointed. For most of us, C-14's are best.

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2020, 09:35:30 AM »
connnie14boy, I remember those days. It was fun! She STILL gives me grief :'(

What's funny is what I was told when I purchased the Trophy; "The Trophy will be way easier on tires than the Connie"...Bulls#$t! If you guys think the Connnie is tire-hungry, the Trophy and Tiger eat tires like they're chocolate! I have yet to find a tire that will go more than 3k miles on either bike! I remember the days of the Connie and getting at least 6k-8k on a set! I do like the 10k service intervals of Triumph but their support is sooooo bad that I would gladly go back to Kawi's 6K intervals. And, it's really 12k because the oil and fluid changes are so easy on the Kawi that those can be done in our own garage, something I do miss doing! The fuel range on the Tiger is TERRIBLE! If I hit 180 miles on a tank, I'm pushing the bike! I expected more out of an ADV Touring bike but I guess there isn't anything in the UK that is more than a few miles away? ???

I really do miss the smoothness of the Kawi, I miss the look and feel of that bike, and I do miss the farkling! I ride home daily on my Tiger and there is a guy I see once or twice a week on a black C14 and I get that warm, fuzzy feeling inside when I see that bike because the Concours, IMHO, has always been one of the best-looking bikes on the road!

There are many reasons to want to go back to the Concours, only 1 or 2 that would keep me away. The main factor is going to be legroom; the ADV bike has sooo much of it whereas the Concours makes my knees feel tight!

I DO NOT care for the new color scheme and will wait to see what the 2021 model looks like. I have heard that Kawi is going to add LED headlights to all their bikes so I am assuming the 2021 models will have them. I thought I needed all that technology that the Tiger and Trophy have but there is something really nice about the simplicity of the Concours.

I have toy'd with the idea of a BMW RT as my next bike but I can't justify the cost (cause I would want the fully-loaded model for only $30k :o), don't want the issues that come with that bike, and it still wouldn't be the Concours. There is nothing like a flashed and farkled Concours! Oh, and the luggage on the Concours is the best!

So, there you have it. I have ridden and tried Triumph and BMW and I still lean toward the Concours. I need more time to get out from under the Tiger and I need Kawi to produce a color scheme I can fall in love with and then the switch back to the Concours just might happen!

Until next time,
Mike
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2020, 10:09:56 AM »
....and will wait to see what the 2021 model looks like. I have heard that Kawi is going to add LED headlights to all their bikes so I am assuming the 2021 models will have them.

2021 model?...Wow, aren't you the optimist.  :rotflmao:

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2020, 10:20:00 AM »
Unfortunately, I think you are right Marty. I believe a 2021 model of the C-14 is going to be a 2020 model.... sitting at the dealer with dust on it.

Not hoping for that, just afraid that is going to be the way it goes.

Brian

2021 model?...Wow, aren't you the optimist.  :rotflmao:
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2020, 10:33:37 AM »
There is a 2019 still sitting there on the showroom floor of my dealer...sales claims it hasn't even been an afterthought for most.

The ADV bikes are getting a lot of attention and Triumph has put a lot of effort into the Scrambler and Bonneville lineup, and then there's the Rocket! That means people walk past the Concours as if it's not there. I go to the shop frequently and I have NEVER seen anyone give the C14 a look...sad days!

Maybe I'll wait till the 2019 drops below $10k and then get it! I'd ride that color for under $10k! I would take the green stripe off though!
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2020, 03:11:39 PM »
There are many reasons to want to go back to the Concours, only 1 or 2 that would keep me away. The main factor is going to be legroom; the ADV bike has sooo much of it whereas the Concours makes my knees feel tight!

You must have some really long legs :)  I have a 28.5" inseam, so I have just tons of extra space.

I DO NOT care for the new color scheme and will wait to see what the 2021 model looks like.

I am not fond of the "two tone" thing, but... and I have speculated incorrectly more than once now....  I seriously doubt there will be a 2021.  The 2019 and 2020 appear to be "leftover parts depletion" models.  But I guess we shall see.  Of course, you can get a 2019/20 and peel off the green sticker stuff and paint the few odd panels.

I have heard that Kawi is going to add LED headlights to all their bikes so I am assuming the 2021 models will have them. I thought I needed all that technology that the Tiger and Trophy have but there is something really nice about the simplicity of the Concours.

If there is a 2021, and I really doubt it, it will absolutely be identical to the 2019/2020.  Of that I am about 99% sure.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2020, 03:14:05 PM »
There is a 2019 still sitting there on the showroom floor of my dealer...sales claims it hasn't even been an afterthought for most.

It isn't glitzy.  It is just reliable, affordable, smooth, and fast.  Glitz wins.

Maybe I'll wait till the 2019 drops below $10k and then get it! I'd ride that color for under $10k! I would take the green stripe off though!

Exactly.
And replace all the bulbs with LED and farkle some and bam.

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2020, 03:15:49 PM »
Hi Max, nice "talking" with you again ;)

Regarding my legs; it's not the length as much as it is my knees! I had my 3rd knee surgery in 2019 and it has been a little on the "tight side" since, that is my concern!

I saw that the 2020 is exactly the same as the 19 so you are probably correct which means if I am going to do it, I need to do it within the next 2 years.

My thoughts exactly when it comes to the color...peel off the green and paint what needs to be painted!
Mike
Ojai, CA

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2020, 08:42:40 PM »
My thoughts exactly when it comes to the color...peel off the green and paint what needs to be painted!

Nobody has confirmed it, but I think the black behind the logo and on the upper part of the fairing is also a sticker.  I don't know if that is true and if true, what is behind it, at least on the front fairing.  If it is body colored, I could deal with just sticker removal and painting the tank.  I don't know what they were thinking...

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2020, 05:48:09 AM »
Too much Saki.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2020, 07:58:48 AM »
If you have knee problems on the C14 try these.
https://www.advancedsporttouring.com/Concours_14_Foot_peg_Lowering_Brackets_p/c14-27.htm
I haven't fitted mine yet, but will be shortly.

I have an inside leg of 33" and size 15 feet so I need all the space I can get.
Hopefully they won't cause me to start ripping the toes out of my boots when cornering, but I guess we will see.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK