Author Topic: An Orange project followed me home from Jacksonville  (Read 5293 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
An Orange project followed me home from Jacksonville
« on: November 26, 2013, 06:20:18 PM »
2009 EXC 530

This bike will never be capable of doing what my KLR did, nor will it tote a months worth of luggage.  So unlike riding the KLR across America on super-slab, I'll have to truck it then live on it for only a week or two camping off road.  Or maybe longer when we cross the country on the trans-atlantic trail. But even that trip I'll have to truck it to the meet point in TN, then on the other side of the country ship it back and fly home.  Also it's being set up to adventure ride and camp deep in Blue Ridge, Baja, Death Valley, Moab, etc

I was going to buy brand new, found a nice gentleman wanting to buy an engagement ring and home gave me this one for a steal with 900 miles, 23 hours, and fell in my lap. It's among the lightest most powerful taggable dirt bike  I could find to use as a dual sport bike.  And yeah I'll be changing the oil about as much as ride it

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: An Orange project followed me home from Jacksonville
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 06:22:52 PM »
Its all stock, came with maintenance records, 2 extra excel rims (the spare rear is a 19" which i don't understand why he bought that), 4 extra tires, the original ktm tool pouch, a manual (and a manual in spanish again I don;t know why) and some funky nylon paperwork folder that holds all the stuff.

Goods coming thus far as of tonight are:

tall/firm enduro engineering seat
acerbis 6.3 gal tank
radiator fan
billet kickstand
TM chainguard
trail tech stator
the ktm skid plate
front light mod

next things to decide on:

cycra or barkbusters or some type real hand guards
a real "night LED" light solution
better foot pegs
wiringfor GPS/phone/heated suit/USB power/12V power
rear LED light solution or ktm euro light
flush LED rear turn signals that don't melt in direct exhaust blast (like the right rear has)
billet protection bits
suspension work
anything else the bike needs to go the distance and fall often

and I very much need:

some lessons (coming soon)
get in shape for some endurance to ride it all day
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 06:36:04 PM »
Congrats and best of luck with the new ride Steve.

A little off-topic: for some reason or other, KTM always draws me to them at the dealer. I just cannot resist walking over and looking at them and it always takes a while. Something about that product that is just.... 'outside the lines' but not in a bad or wrong way, just different. Intriguing I guess is what I would call it. Maybe it is an Austrian thing because Glock has always had the same effect on me- I just have to check them out whenever I see a new model (new to me).

Brian

2009 EXC 530

<snip>

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Son of Pappy

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 07:05:06 PM »
Well done!!

The 19" rim is for moto cross type riding or hard core trail stuff.

Contact Daryl at http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/ , tell him Chet sent ya.  He is a rider who really rides and backs up everything he sells.  I'm fairly certain you have seen some of his stuff on ADV Rider.  I'm hitting the trails with him on Friday.  That 6.3 tank?  It is huge and serves as great radiator protection.  Make sure you take that into account when you get the front end done.  Lessons?  How do you feel about a fly and ride/train?  I have the EXC and GS so a bike isn't an issue and I offer my services for free-for you and other forum members in good standing :)
Make sure you check out the Giant Loop bags, my next set from them will be the Siskiyous, call them up, tell em Chet from PSSOR sent ya ( http://giantloopmoto.com/ ).  If you were local I would also strongly recommend Alex from Konflict, top shelf work he does.  He does do mail in service with good turn around times.  Again, he is a rider, not a salesman, he and Daryl (The Heavyweights Team) placed second at the recent 24 hours of Starvation Ridge, in the Sportmans class, on their ADV bikes-against 450s :o

Sure looks like the KLR did it's job as a gateway bike, next up will be a full sized ADV bike, time to hit the BDRs ;D ;D ;D

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 11:36:21 PM »
Very nice, congrats Steve!!  :thumbs: :thumbs:

Offline blue14

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 04:04:28 AM »

Bonz for hand guards

Enduro Engineering for most anything else

Factory Connection for suspension

Welcome to the "Orange Side"
2010 C14, 2007 ZX14,  2004 KTM 300SXC

Offline Roger.m

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 06:02:51 AM »
Congrats and best of luck with the new ride Steve.

A little off-topic: for some reason or other, KTM always draws me to them at the dealer. I just cannot resist walking over and looking at them and it always takes a while. Something about that product that is just.... 'outside the lines' but not in a bad or wrong way, just different. Intriguing I guess is what I would call it. Maybe it is an Austrian thing because Glock has always had the same effect on me- I just have to check them out whenever I see a new model (new to me).

Brian

:goodpost: I totally agree!! congrats steve, very nice bike. :chugbeer:

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 06:06:37 AM »
2009 EXC 530

This bike will never be capable of doing what my KLR did, nor will it tote a months worth of luggage.  So unlike riding the KLR across America on super-slab, I'll have to truck it then live on it for only a week or two camping off road.  Or maybe longer when we cross the country on the trans-america trail. But even that trip I'll have to truck it to the meet point in TN, then on the other side of the country ship it back and fly home.  Also it's being set up to adventure ride and camp deep in Blue Ridge, Baja, Death Valley, Moab, etc

I was going to buy brand new, found a nice gentleman wanting to buy an engagement ring and home gave me this one for a steal with 900 miles, 23 hours, and fell in my lap. It's among the lightest most powerful taggable dirt bike  I could find to use as a dual sport bike.  And yeah I'll be changing the oil about as much as ride it

Fixed it for You.  http://www.transamtrail.com/

Let me know when you all will be riding it.  The Tennessee section passes a mile from my place.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 06:05:40 PM »
Drinking the orange Koolaid.

Nice.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)