Author Topic: Towing with rear wheel down  (Read 4001 times)

Offline mwbailey55

Towing with rear wheel down
« on: June 16, 2018, 05:38:36 AM »
Does the engine have to be running to get lubrication to the shaft drive? I was reading an ad for a front wheel only trailer hitch and it mentioned that some shaft drives had to have motor running for some pump in the shaft.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Towing with rear wheel down
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 07:13:29 AM »
The end of the driveshaft (hub end) is lubed with final drive lube, so that is no problem regarding towing.

The bigger problem is that turning the rear wheel will cause the bevel gears, the output shaft in the transmission and the clutch basket to also turn and those will not be lubed with engine oil if the engine is not running. I doubt that a few minutes of that would be harmful but I would be wary of hours of towing that way. The only way I can think of around that problem would be to pull the driveshaft, which is both a fair amount of work and would leave the front of the drive hub open to rain and road dust.

Brian

Does the engine have to be running to get lubrication to the shaft drive? I was reading an ad for a front wheel only trailer hitch and it mentioned that some shaft drives had to have motor running for some pump in the shaft.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
Re: Towing with rear wheel down
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 01:20:05 PM »
It's simple just remove the chain.....oh wait...belay that suggestion...
...hmmm...how about this?