Author Topic: OTP....  (Read 11254 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: OTP....
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2015, 03:15:01 PM »
Sorry to hear about your having to drop out because of the work situation Rich.

I do not understand the reference to the highlighted portion of your post though- could you elaborate please?

Brian

Good day group,
As some of you know, I have been hopeful in my search for employment recently, and it is something I have taken seriously at this point.
I have been torn between the OTP nomination, always hoping to go, and the reality that without a job, I can't do it; I did intend to attempt this trip at all costs, but at this point I feel it is only fair to drop myself from the list, and let those other nominees carry forward  at this time.
 I really feel bad about taking so long to respond, but I assure you all it was only because I felt I could accomplish it in a timely manner.
I will also say that the recent "schedule of events" changes (pulling 2 month old posted milepoints in by a full month...a week ago...) had a lot to do with my decision....
I have not heard back from my last interviews yet, and in order to be fair to all of you, I wish to drop myself from the list, in order to allow a better vote for all the rest involved.
 :'(

<snip>

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2015, 03:39:32 PM »
schedule of the different stages in the process were issued 1/7,

schedules were changed, and posted as changed on 2/28

every stage, was pulled in, some by a full month, nominations pulled in about 2 weeks, voting cut off and notifications, and ticket purchases, etc pulled in by a month.

I was cool with keeping my irons in the fire when I accepted a nomination, and have a good feel about work, but last week when they pulled the voting and everything else in by a month, felt it was unfair for me to "hang back till I was sure I could afford to go", being unemployed right this moment, and have been for almost 8 months... and also rolling my 401K into a rollover to live on...
Suckz bigtime, but I'm not stupid.... If I don't have a job, or income, I can't condone my actions to travel with the possibility of added expenses placing a burden upon someone other than ME... That in my opinion is selfish, and very irresponsible... I cannot place the full burden of emergencies on my peers,  if they send a second traveler, that presses it further; even if it's pulled in to get the maximum time for donations, and even if you can "make a donation and get voting rights"....
which never happened before. I was told it was because donations seemed to be getting lax, but you and I know just how much money some of us folks tossed into the kitty during the last visit....right?  ;) ;)

I've always backed and donated, and then throughout the season prior to the travel, and even during the travel, took up donations and stuck my hands into the pockets of my fellow COG pals... who always gave freely on the spot...

remember how much money Russ and I were holding when you had the blade against Rev's throat last summer??

we had a BUNCH of money. I don't get it sometimes. With COG's new acceptance, comes a lot of "book keeping nightmares" as it's a not for profit Org, and now, traveller's are gonna have to keep a lot of reciepts and crap, ....Why? I have no idea.... it ain't COG org's money... But I guess I'm just dumb... if the contributions go thru the website, I guess that is the reason... but still can't get a grasp... knowing what strange money and control things have gone down in the past. ::) ::) ::)

sorry, I know your sit-rep, and don't wanna cut my throat for possibilities of future travel... just trying to be p/c  8)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2015, 05:08:58 PM »
Rich, good luck on the job front.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2015, 05:23:51 PM »
Rich, good luck on the job front.

thanks

I'll hang tough.
I'll never ask for charity.
 :chugbeer: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :stirpot: :cool:

I love you folks too much.
 ;)

Offline COG-528

• Tilting Horizons since 1982
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2015, 07:17:11 PM »
Good day group,
As some of you know, I have been hopeful in my search for employment recently, and it is something I have taken seriously at this point.
I have been torn between the OTP nomination, always hoping to go, and the reality that without a job, I can't do it; I did intend to attempt this trip at all costs, but at this point I feel it is only fair to drop myself from the list, and let those other nominees carry forward  at this time.
 I really feel bad about taking so long to respond, but I assure you all it was only because I felt I could accomplish it in a timely manner.
I will also say that the recent "schedule of events" changes (pulling 2 month old posted milepoints in by a full month...a week ago...) had a lot to do with my decision....
I have not heard back from my last interviews yet, and in order to be fair to all of you, I wish to drop myself from the list, in order to allow a better vote for all the rest involved.
 :'(

<snip>
Sorry to hear that the scheduling is not working out for you.  OtP started late this year and the candidates were polled on how they felt about moving up the deadlines to be closer to the usual schedule.  That is why things changed. 

Your concern about a "better vote" was very considerate of you.  You could easily have stayed in the election and if you won and found later in the year that you still could not afford to go the runner up would have gone in your stead.  Btw, the decision to send a 2nd traveler is up to the winner.  If the winner feel they can afford to share the collected funds and want a traveling companion then a 2nd person gets to go.

After being out of work for 16 months I finally got a job offer today.  It really isn't the type of work I want to do and I expect to make a lot less than my old job; but at least I'll be employed and able to get health insurance for my wife.  I'm hoping you too will get good employment news soon. 
Mike Aldea, COG-528   Hawthorne, NJ  

Touring broadens horizons . . . Sports Touring tilts them!

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2015, 02:05:45 AM »
Thanks Mike..
I'm fully aware of all that goes on in OTP, and the pulse it follows.
My choice was to cleanly allow the voting to proceed, and funds gathered, based on the people in the race... in lieu of an "alternate"... which for some, might have been a bummer, as they may have "paid" for the honor of voting for someone, by proxy, as the "rules" have changed this year. Good or bad, I don't care, just hate to see someone make a donation for the purpose of a vote, hoping someone goes, and have them disappointed and never participate again.

Best of luck. If you go over, please ride safely.

personally, I cannot commit to this fairly without a job, and stretched this when I responded "yes" without having a job, well too far, expecting my last interview to be fruitful.

I could never expect my peers to pick up a tab on my lack of funding, or any mistakes I might make, and that Is why I dropped. Very simple.  Best of luck on your new job.... and did you mention to them you want 3 consecutive weeks off this year???? ::)

Offline COG-528

• Tilting Horizons since 1982
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2015, 07:30:20 AM »
After three times down this road I've learned not to expect anything.  If elected I'll worry about getting the time off.  Yes, I promise to ride safely and not try to thin the European deer herd.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 02:08:02 PM by COG-528 »
Mike Aldea, COG-528   Hawthorne, NJ  

Touring broadens horizons . . . Sports Touring tilts them!

Offline Chris Baum

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2015, 10:53:30 PM »
Only 15 days left if you haven't voted yet!  Send your vote to;

Send a Note to; Dave Scott   OtP Jr Slave Labor/Vote-Bean "Counter"
               Address;  COGOTPVoting@yahoo.com
                    Title;  OtP Vote Note.

When a member votes; "include you name/COG Number".
  When a member "and" an Associate member Vote; "Include Both Names/COG Numbers".
  If Significant others, Forum Subscribers, or Non-members vote: "Include your name, date/amount you Donated"

Votes (without names/information),,, will not be counted!

So when you vote, make sure to put your name and COG number on your ballot.  If you're not a dues-paying member, make sure you fulfill the requirements to have your vote counted. 

Chris Baum

Enjoy St. Patrick's Day, COG Nation!!
Chris Baum - COG #3088 - 1986 Concours
"A Nebraskan Looking for Twisty Roads!!!!"
2006 Co-COG National Rally Director -
"OTP" Host (2007-09-11-14)     IBA #7474

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2015, 03:01:30 PM »
I WON
...I WON
........I WON

:rotflmao: :rotflmao:

APRIL FOOLS.... 8)

Offline Chris Baum

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2015, 09:42:57 PM »
Nice One
We will know tomorrow which of the 5 "OTP" candidates have been selected to ride over the pond
Chris Baum - COG #3088 - 1986 Concours
"A Nebraskan Looking for Twisty Roads!!!!"
2006 Co-COG National Rally Director -
"OTP" Host (2007-09-11-14)     IBA #7474