Author Topic: Sparkplugs  (Read 2717 times)

Offline timsatx

• Arena
Sparkplugs
« on: February 08, 2012, 10:53:46 AM »
My bike is supposed to use the DR8EA. Would there be a better one to use or just stick with that one?

Offline Leo

Re: Sparkplugs
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 11:19:52 AM »
The DR8EA plugs work great, the D8ea plugs (non resistor) work great also, as the plug leads have resistors in them already.  (I do not have any bike mounted audio system, so I do not know if the non resistor plugs hurt the radio sound.   I have a set of Nippondenso HOT"U" X24 that have been in the bike for 24,000 miles and they still rev freely all the way to redline.

When I thought I had spark plug trouble, I pulled the plugs and they looked fine, it turned out to be the plug wires.  I do not think this water cooled engine is very picky about spark plugs.  Some old air cooled bikes could glaze up the plugs in one hot afternoon on mountain roads
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 05:29:35 PM by Leo »
Yep, still riding the old one

In Indiana, missing Texas

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 12:54:57 PM »
  Like Leo said,oem plugs usually last a long time but if you have a hankering to spend some money get T Cro's Stick coils to go with the new plugs.  Your's can look like the pics in this thread!

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=61.0   
 And you can get Snarf's Block Off plates to go with that.   

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=99.0
  I really enjoy spending other people's money!! ;D ;D
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 01:06:04 PM »
Actually, I already have stick coils that I built myself. This isn't the finished product (I don't have a photo of that) but it was nearly so.

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 08:27:16 PM »

Nice job!! 8)
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 10:59:11 PM »
By the way, I also already have the block off plates.  ;D

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 06:10:56 AM »
+1 & +1  :thumbs:
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 06:45:11 AM »
Thanks, and thank you Leo. I will stick with the regular plugs.

edit: I just wanted to mention that I have had the stick coils since Aug. 2010 and haven't had a problem. I have kept all the plumbing I removed after installing the block-off plates. Maybe one day I will sell it, maybe when I sell the bike as that will happen, but probably not for awhile.