Author Topic: New roles for my connie  (Read 3734 times)

Offline diego092409

• Have to keep it running w as much as I have spent
New roles for my connie
« on: February 13, 2016, 05:35:00 PM »
I have taken the leap of getting a new bike and am casting about for a new role for my old connie which has always been strong running and fairly dependable in the 4 seasons that we have ridden her. The fairing had seen better days and clunk and juttered with every bump in the road so my first step has been to remove the fairing and make it into a more of a UJM to commute to work on and tool around town on.

I am wondering if anyone has ever made their connie into a dirt road adventure bike. Has anyone put a 19 inch front wheel on it?  I may be bordering on heresy in asking this but I don't want my connie to become forgotten and unridden now that it's newer stable mate has arrived.
1997 Concours - ZG1400 Rear Shock, Cee Bailey Screen w/ MRA Spoiler, Phone Charger Socket, Ram X-Mount, Shad 48 Liter Top mount, Tokico 4 pot front brakes w/ SV Racing Bracket, Intiminators, Baldwin Cycles Seat, Throttle Lock and Murph's highway pegs
1982 GPZ 1100 w/ 2006 GSXR Forks and swingarm

Offline Dan in Grand Rapids

Re: New roles for my connie
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 08:58:43 AM »
I like your idea about changing the concours for a different purpose, but I am not sure that an adventure bike is the right fit. Most "adventure" bike really cannot bring you on much of an adventure already. Many are too big, too heavy, and too complicated to handle this task. For a true adventure you would want something that is light enough to pick up by yourself, easy to work on in the middle of nowhere with minimal tools, and cheap enough that you can walk away if you destroy it.

The concours would be a bear to pick up by yourself, especially if you were in mud or dirt. I would go with a UJM route that could make a unique commuter bike. Good luck with your plans.
1997 Concours
1999 KLR 650