Author Topic: My mini Dachshund was attacked by a Rottweiler  (Read 21905 times)

Offline Conrad

My mini Dachshund was attacked by a Rottweiler
« on: April 26, 2012, 05:09:03 AM »
I always walk our dogs after work and yesterday was no different. We have three small dogs and I always take the oldest, Bosco, and the youngest, Sookie, together first and then I take Agnes last. It just works out better that way, till yesterday...

We were about halfway through our walk when I see a young woman walking a very large Rottie. The dog weighed more than the woman. I saw them first, they were across the street from us, then my dogs saw them. Bosco, being a Dachshund, wanted to go get the other dog and started pulling in that direction. Right about that time the Rottie looked over and saw us. He just glanced at my dogs and then went about his business. I was a bit relieved at that. Just at that moment the woman bent down to tie her shoe and instead of holding onto the Rot's leash, she stepped on it. I had a moment of panic and then the Rot looked over at my dogs and was across the street in a flash. Bosco saw him coming and got ready to meet him.

Bosco is 14lbs and the Rot is at least 120lbs. Bosco was ready (not that it mattered) the Rot was too. I tried to get in between them but it was no good. The Rot grabbed Bosco by the back of her neck and started shaking her. I grabbed the Rot by the scruff of the neck with one hand and I punched it as hard as I could with the other. I don't know how many times I punched the damned thing, I'm not sure if the dog even felt it. The woman was trying to help at this point and I accidently punched her, knocking her over. The Rot finally let go but the damage was done. I wish that I didn't have to see what I saw at that point. Bosco's back was laid open from the base of her neck to the middle of her back. She was bleeding badly and so was I, nothing like she was though. It seems that I got bit at some point. 

There were lots of people around us by now and they all wanted to help. One man had a bunch of towels and helped me wrap Bosco up, he then offered to drive me home. His wife took Sookie and walked her to my house. Being after hours our normal vet was closed. After my wife made some calls we found out that the closest emergency animal hospital was 30 miles away. I drove like a mad man and we made it to the hospital. After taking a quick look the vet didn't think that the prognosis looked very good. We spent a couple of hours there before telling Bosco goodbye and we went home. We didn't know if we'd see her again or not.

I just got off the phone with the vet and the prognosis is looking better today. Bosco will have to be transferred to our own local vet this morning; we have to pick her up at 7:30.

The woman who owns the Rot, not the one walking it, told me that they will pay all the vet bills. I had to put down a $600 deposit when we left the hospital.

Please pray for Bosco. She still has a long road to recovery.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline wipfel

• 2010 Concours 14 ABS
Re: My mini Dachshund was attacked by a Rottweiler
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 05:31:45 AM »
I'm sorry to hear that, Conrad.  I've been a huge dog-lover my entire life and can't stand to see a dog hurt.  I hope Bosco makes a full recovery.
--If I could be anywhere right now, I'd still be out there, on my bike, in the wilderness.

2010 Concours 14 ABS

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 05:35:31 AM »
Prayers for Bosco. Hope your bite wasn't bad. Good job on the cupcake with the Rot even if it was an accident.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 05:38:02 AM »
Prayers for Bosco as well, Conrad...   :'(
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 06:31:43 AM »
WOW.... I'm so sorry to hear about your little fella....  I have small dogs too, and I worry about big dogs walking them.  I'd hate to have to shoot someone's dog, but my 10 pound yorkie would be dead after that treatment...
Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 06:45:45 AM »
Please pray for Bosco. She still has a long road to recovery.

Will do... Please keep us posted. I would be beside myself if our furry ones were hurt like that.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline mjrfd99

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 06:51:24 AM »
Big prayers for Bosco. 

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 06:55:11 AM »
I'm sorry to hear about you and your pup Conrad.  I had a situation similar to your's with a PitBull, but it was my children instead of a dog.  Fortunately I got my kids out of the way but I got bitten in the process and there was a lot of hard feelings between my family and our neighbors (Pit's owners) since the dog was removed from the home and put down. 

I hope the process goes as smooth as possible for your family. 
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 07:17:59 AM »
Boscoe, hang in there lil buddy.  Sure looking forward to hearing about the happy homecoming.

Offline koval68

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 09:47:58 AM »
Sorry to hear that! I'm sure that Bosco will recover from his physical injuries! Keep us posted!
Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 10:13:28 AM »
What a shame. I will be praying for you and your small loved one.
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline rush2112

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 11:09:28 AM »
Man, this makes me furious thinking about it!!!!!!!!   >:( >:( >:(

This is why I carry when walking mine. If another dog attacks, it's done with!!!!!
I had some less than desirables move in across the street from me last year, and they had two vicious pits. I informed him very quickly that they would die if they stepped foot in my yard! Thankfully he was busted for money laundering and drug sales 4 months later!!!!

Sure hope Bosco is doing better and fully recovers!!!!
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 12:18:03 PM »
While I couldn't read the outcome, I'm very sorry to hear about your Bosco. Here's to hoping everything turns out alright. I'm always nervous around larger dogs with my eight poind chihuahua, Bella. Subscribed for the story.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 01:13:08 PM »
Prayers for Bosco as well, Conrad...   :'(

+1...

Sorry to hear this C.  :grouphug:

Offline alexx45

• 2009 Black C14
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2012, 03:42:17 PM »
MY prayers go out to you and to Bosco.
Life is good.... At least from my perspective.
2009 Concours 14
2005 Suzuki Bandit

Taff

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2012, 06:48:43 PM »
Sorry to hear about this.

I am sending you loads of prayers for you and Bosco.

Jon.

Offline BlkBird

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2012, 06:54:29 PM »
Hate stories like this...... If you own a vicious dog you MUST be able to maintain control at all times.  If you can't you've got no business having a dog like this.  Best wishes for a quick recovery.

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2012, 09:32:37 PM »
Conrad,
Make sure the Rot is checked and has its shots, it may need to be quarentined since it bit you.
And it needs to be put down, next, take the owner for everything and anything you can.
I love dogs, but some people should not have kids, let alone dogs like a Rot. It is the owners fault, and she should pay, period. Here in Ohio we have plenty of Lawyers that would take this in a heart beat, check your yellow pages, you need one for this fight.
Now i just hope your dog makes it, and you don't get rabies.
Do the math and complete the problem to its outcome.
Ride safer all,
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline C14PAINKILLER

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2012, 09:41:53 PM »
Prayers for the little guy as well as for you and your family. Like PFloydgad says make sure the Rottie has all its shots up to date. Those rabies shots are very painful!
2010 PAINKILLER BLUE   COG# 9405
Rides the metal monster, breathing smoke and fire

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2012, 10:09:32 PM »
I always loved these big dogs. Until we got some little ones. Sorry for what you went through watching this happen. 

Now, even though the owner of the Rot is being cool, any chance of punishing them?    I raised guard Akitas for a while.  There was NEVER a time when these silent killers were within 20 feet of another dog. Thats just not acceptable.