Author Topic: Lowering the concors  (Read 4088 times)

Offline rhinestone

Lowering the concors
« on: April 04, 2013, 06:34:55 PM »
I just bought a lowering kit capable of going 4 inches, How low can I go without messin with how the bike is supposed to handle.

Offline JDM

Re: Lowering the concors
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 07:57:22 AM »
I lowered my Connie about 2" and have had no issues other than an occasional rub from the center stand. I heated the side stand and bent it out and forward about an 1.5" to allow the bike to lay over more (like a Harley) so I could use the side stand. I like the side stand mod so well I would do it to a stock Connie that hadn't been lowered. I also modified the center stand more for convenience rather than necessity.  HTH JD
If you have seen heaven, I am sure something scared the hell out of you.

Offline JJFLASH

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 11:13:22 AM »
I lowered my Connie about 2" and have had no issues other than an occasional rub from the center stand. I heated the side stand and bent it out and forward about an 1.5" to allow the bike to lay over more (like a Harley) so I could use the side stand. I like the side stand mod so well I would do it to a stock Connie that hadn't been lowered. I also modified the center stand more for convenience rather than necessity.  HTH JD

What did you use for a lowering kit?  Would you recommend it again?  Do you use the center stand and how difficult is it to get a lowered bike on the center stand.  I am thinking about lowering mine also.

Offline JDM

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 06:58:34 PM »
What did you use for a lowering kit?  Would you recommend it again?  Do you use the center stand and how difficult is it to get a lowered bike on the center stand.  I am thinking about lowering mine also.

I am using Norms lowering link, it is very robust and bullet proof.  It is not however, adjustable, but I would recommend it.  Here is some info for Norms link.  Phone # was 281-339-1156 and email was Sanleonster@gmail.com.  If you want one that can be adjusted then you might take a look at this http://www.soupysperformance.com/concours-1000-products.html  I made the center stand adjustable, if you get serious about lowering your Connie I can put up some photos of the mod to the center stand. just let me know.  JD   P.S.  If you are short wheel based like me, it is a very good modification.

Offline oldsmoboat

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 10:40:37 AM »
I am using Norms lowering link, it is very robust and bullet proof.  It is not however, adjustable, but I would recommend it.  Here is some info for Norms link.  Phone # was 281-339-1156 and email was Sanleonster@gmail.com.  If you want one that can be adjusted then you might take a look at this http://www.soupysperformance.com/concours-1000-products.html  I made the center stand adjustable, if you get serious about lowering your Connie I can put up some photos of the mod to the center stand. just let me know.  JD   P.S.  If you are short wheel based like me, it is a very good modification.
Please post the center stand photos.

Offline JDM

Re: Lowering the concors Center Stand Mod
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 06:23:42 PM »
Here is a photo

gpineau

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 02:06:01 PM »
All advice told me not to change the suspension because it would change the way the bike will ride, steer and the possibility of scraping on sharp cornering.

I am not getting any taller. I was 5'6" when I left high school but now in my 60's I am 5'4" and a 29 inch inseam. I can not stop at a stop sign without leaning the bike far to one side Which is pretty rough on my leg muscles. So I did it without lowering links. 

I measured the seat and found that the pad is several inches thick so I shaved away an inch and a half.  I put a new cover on it and now I can stand straight up at a stop sign. I still struggle on the balls of my feet but at least I have some control when the bike is not moving.

This is the first time since I bought it that I was not scared to take it for a drive in city traffic.

I kept the original seat cover and the pieces of foam I removed in case I need to return it to stock. 

https://motostuff.shutterfly.com/pictures/481

gpineau

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2018, 11:15:36 AM »
I just got a suggestion for a Norms rocker.  Said it made a big difference for him. Anyone else have experience with Norms rockers?

« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 01:23:02 PM by gpineau »

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2018, 01:36:37 PM »
The info was in reply #3. {above}
JDM said; I am using Norms lowering link rocker, it is very robust and bullet proof.  It is not however, adjustable, but I would recommend it.  Here is some info for Norms link.  Phone # was 281-339-1156 and email was Sanleonster@gmail.com.

Many have used Norm's Lowering Rocker over the years {including myself}.
He offers them in many sizes. (I think from 1" to 3" drop")
Bearings are included.

He {and I} recommend the 1 1/2" drop.

NOTE: If you lower the rear you must also lower the front to keep the settings of the bike's geometry almost the same as original.

Ride safe, Ted

gpineau

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2018, 09:04:28 AM »
I email him and so far no answer. Maybe he has quit the business.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2018, 04:50:50 PM »
I suggest a phone call. I talked with him last year.
Very informative and knows what size lowering rockers he has available.

Ride safe, Ted

gpineau

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2018, 12:46:53 PM »
He did finally respond with a price. It will have to wait. We had a hailstorm last month and I have to replace my roof. No more expenditures on toys for a while.

gpineau

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2021, 08:17:54 PM »
I did purchase the lowering rocker and installed it. Worked great, however I did not bother to lower the front end. I read lately that you should lower the front an inch after you lower the back..

Well my now project needs to be lowered so I contacted the guy to see if I could get another dog bone rocker from him but sadly I got the last one he had.

So I have a set of soupy's lowering links on order from ebay and they are on their way!

Meanwhile I though I would take some advice and lower the front an inch. I thought it was gonna be hard but it turned out nice. I took a 1 inch block to measure down from the bottom of the triple tree.. Using the block as a spacer I put a hose clamp around the forks and slit it up against the spacer.  After tightening the clamps I loosened the forks. I sat on the bike and rocked it slowly forward and back and the triple tree walked slowly down the forks until it rested on the clamps. Tightened it all down and it was done. And now the bars are an inch higher to boot.

The lowering links wont be so easy but I have experience from the last one so it wont be too bad. 

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2021, 03:07:34 PM »
Are you saying that Norm Soucy no longer makes Lowering Rocker's?

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 07:26:14 AM by connie_rider »

gpineau

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2021, 09:14:38 PM »
Are you saying that Norm Soucy no longer makes lowering links?

Ride safe, Ted

No, not at all. The first one I lowered was not using links. I replaced the dog-bone-rocker with an after market one. It was good for an inch and a quarter.  Those are no longer available from my source. Maybe they are available but not from my source. 

My next bike I am going to be using the lowering links . https://www.ebay.com/itm/Concours-1000-Lowering-Link-Links-Kit-Adjustable-1986-2006-ZG1000/181367894805?hash=item2a3a5e7315:g:nGoAAOSw14xWID6D

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2021, 07:42:40 AM »
Did a quick call so you would have another possible option.

Just called Norm. He has 1ea.  1 1/2" lowering Rocker left.
Want's $200, and I know they work.
Norm Sourcy (281) 339-1156

I've seen differing reports about the Soupy Links working with the center stand.
Some say they work, some say they don't.
(I suspect that they do)

Ride safe, Ted

gpineau

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2021, 05:16:39 PM »
I just got the lowering links in the mail so I cant use it but I will attest that the rocker does work because I put one on my other bike and I got 1 and a quarter inches lowered in the rear.

Offline m in sc

• Polluting Rockhill with 2 strokes for decades.
    • 2 stroke world
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2021, 08:38:37 AM »
i have the lowering links on my 99 with c 14 shock to get stock height. yes they work and work with center stand. i did have to flattnen one side a bit to clear the spring but as far as lowering, no issues. been on a few years.
I break and fix stuff.  No more concours's in the stables. see you guys around...