Author Topic: Saddlebag Guards  (Read 2759 times)

pubg1

Saddlebag Guards
« on: August 08, 2019, 03:42:37 AM »
Hello from Wisconsin!
Any other vendor for bag guards since mc enterprises is no more? Im not sure about the T-rex units yet,look a little ugly but look tough. I Just did the dreaded drop but luckily had just removed the bags for washing and after just replacing one after a friendly deer came out to meet me and shaved it off,Im a little more possessive these days.
คาสิโน

Offline Gilbysan

Re: Saddlebag Guards
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 08:53:50 AM »
Hey pubg1,

Not sure if you have seen the tip over bars that Murph's sells.  they are made in France by TBR, Top Block Racing.  I bought a set for my '12 C14 and they have worked great.  Not the same as the other types of big steel, much more aerodynamic and they fit the profile of the bike well. 

https://www.murphskits.com/product_info.php?cPath=130_133&products_id=504&osCsid=fImywY6zxElxpZSqH8atF3

They are a bit pricey but IMO well worth the money.  Easy to mount, you have to drill a hole in the lower black fairings and they come with a good set of instructions on how to get it done.  Fred Harmon also has a set of photos on his site that details the install process quite well. 

You can hardly see them, check out the photos attached.

Cheers!

Gilbysan, aka - Fat Ninja

Gilbysan aka - Fat Ninja

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 11:34:30 AM »
I have the top blocks (although I paid even more for mine as they were shipped from France before Murph started importing them. Just add about $200 to the current Murph price  :'( )

They are a good alternative to the canyon cages, but they won't protect the saddlebags from damage except only under the most ideal conditions where it is very flat and you fight the drop awllllll the way down. If on the other hand you drop the bike on an uneven or sloped surface and you end up jumping off before it throws you off or traps your foot, then you can expect some scrapes on a mirror and the saddlebag. Still both should end up serviceable (if ugly) and not crushed and cracked under the weight of the bike.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 04:15:57 PM »
They are a good alternative to the canyon cages, but they won't protect the saddlebags from damage except only under the most ideal conditions

Yep. That was one of the main problems with the Top Blocks- no bag protection.  Some people combined the Top Blocks with the rear canyon cages, but, alas, that is not an option now.  I also think the Top Blocks offer less front protection, since if the bike rolls OVER that point, then it will smash the mirrors/levers/etc- something that the front Canyons also protect.  But there is no argument they look a lot nicer.

You can still get the T-Rex guards, and they sell luggage guards that are very similar to MC's  https://www.t-rex-racing.com/2007-2018-Concours-12-Rear-Spools-p/n62-12lgb3.htm

They offer something now WITH rollover protection for the front, similar to the Canyon Cages.  I don't think they are nearly as attractive:  https://www.t-rex-racing.com/N62-12EGB5Combo-p/n62-12egb5combo.htm  Plus, unlike the Canyon fronts, you will NOT be able to remove the fairings without completely removing those bars.  But it is nice that there are some additional options, still.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 03:22:01 PM »
T-REX Combo kit

Thanks for the photo.  The rears are almost identical to the Canyons (except being a bit lower and with the skid plate).  The fronts blend reasonably well on a black bike, but they are, to me, uglier (and on any light color, might need to be repainted).  But if I was left with a choice of no protection or those, I would choose those, for sure.

Without any hard data, I would speculate they are as effective.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2019, 10:10:52 AM »
I have left vanity behind. After 3 low speed drops in tbe first year wr were together I decided the bathtub bars are staying.  By the third drop I just chucled and watched mt buddies pick it up. Shouldnt have laughed so loud though.

Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline Dragunslayer

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2019, 09:13:27 AM »
T-REX Combo kit

I am curious about the lower mounts for the T-Rex. On the website it looks like they actually stick out below the the fairing which would lead to them touching down possibly before the pegs, but in your pic they look they do not can you snap a couple more pics or confirm or deny. I am looking to get a set but have been leery due the fact that I do not want something that would limit ground clearance.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2019, 04:56:57 PM »
8)

What's the story on the little thing that looks like it might be a light, mounted on the panel next to the logo?

Offline robertv

• 2008 C14 Silver
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2019, 08:24:28 AM »
The OP installed Lasers to burn the back of vehicles that cut him off ! L0L ..... But they highlight the KAWASAKI emblem it also has LED's inside the cowlings that are really cool at night  8)  .  I did remove the headlight & tail light Modulators that were used at the Bikes On Parade @ Christmas Time that was a bit much for me to handle .     

Interesting! Can you post a pic of what it looks like at night?

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2019, 11:27:08 AM »
What's an OP if not original poster? ...gonna assume you meant PO...
The OP installed Lasers to burn the back of vehicles that cut him off ! L0L ..... But they highlight the KAWASAKI emblem it also has LED's inside the cowlings that are really cool at night  8)  .  I did remove the headlight & tail light Modulators that were used at the Bikes On Parade @ Christmas Time that was a bit much for me to handle .     

So in summation, you don't know the answer to max's question?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2019, 03:24:47 PM »
What's an OP if not original poster? ...gonna assume you meant PO...

Perhaps "Original Purchaser"...

So in summation, you don't know the answer to max's question?

It is some type of angled light that lights up the logo.  Seems a bit strange to me, but I have seen stranger!

Offline Z0rr0n

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2019, 08:37:47 PM »