Author Topic: city lights  (Read 31995 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: city lights
« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2016, 08:03:14 AM »
You guys do realize that you can replace the city lights with incandescent amber bulbs...which is what I did for under $10.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2016, 08:09:09 AM »
You guys do realize that you can replace the city lights with incandescent amber bulbs...which is what I did for under $10.

Of course we do but what fun is that? Besides, the cool LEDs only cost $13/pair.

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2016, 09:58:08 AM »
Did you have an issue with hyper flashing and did you have to use a load resistor to stop it?

City lights don't flash.  LED turn signals require either load resistors or a replacement flasher unit (better solution)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2016, 10:04:26 AM »

Of course.  I have been doing that for years.  But they are dim.  These new ones are twice a bright, so they actually lend more functionality. 
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

sailor_chic

« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2016, 01:21:37 PM »
City lights don't flash.  LED turn signals require either load resistors or a replacement flasher unit (better solution)

We need more information on this Max. What type of flasher is the better option and where is the flasher located on the bike.
Thanks in advance.

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2016, 02:29:24 PM »
We need more information on this Max. What type of flasher is the better option and where is the flasher located on the bike.
Thanks in advance.

Some info here... http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17998.msg220613#msg220613... Start at the bottom of the first page.
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline Conrad

« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2016, 04:46:14 AM »

Yes Max, I've been riding a C14 for a while now and I know that the city lights don't flash. You were the one talking about turn signals and flashing, that's why I asked about the load resistor.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2016, 07:11:20 AM »
Of course we do but what fun is that? Besides, the cool LEDs only cost $13/pair.

Are these a direct replacement for the city lights? And where do you buy them?

Offline DaddyFlip

« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2016, 10:18:34 AM »
I think maxtog gave a link a few posts back. Amazon is 12.98 a pair with Prime shipping. I placed my order this morning and for a pair of Philips +130s for the main.
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

Offline Conrad

« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2016, 11:07:10 AM »
Are these a direct replacement for the city lights? And where do you buy them?

Should be plug and play. I ordered some and they'll be here tomorrow.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018GYMOZ0

Offline Conrad

« Reply #70 on: June 16, 2016, 04:16:39 AM »
Should be plug and play. I ordered some and they'll be here tomorrow.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018GYMOZ0

I installed these yesterday and they are indeed plug and play. They look great and are WAY brighter than the stockers. The light pattern is perfect too.

The install was easy and only took a few minutes. Just pop out the 4 push pin rivets, remove the panel, then pull the old bulbs out. The only issue I had was reinstalling the rivets, I broke one.   >:(  Fortunately I had a replacement.   

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #71 on: June 16, 2016, 05:46:29 AM »
I installed these yesterday and they are indeed plug and play. They look great and are WAY brighter than the stockers. The light pattern is perfect too.

I knew you would like them!  They are amazing in every way.... let's just hope they last a long time.

The install was easy and only took a few minutes. Just pop out the 4 push pin rivets, remove the panel, then pull the old bulbs out. The only issue I had was reinstalling the rivets, I broke one.   >:(  Fortunately I had a replacement.   

Yeah, I broke one, too, this last time.  Used it anyway, just doesn't work as well.  I have a love/hate relationship with plastic rivets.  They hold well and usually are easy to work with, but sometimes they are a pain to get in or out, and sometimes break.

Offline DaddyFlip

« Reply #72 on: June 16, 2016, 06:46:57 AM »
Yeah, I broke one, too, this last time.  Used it anyway, just doesn't work as well.  I have a love/hate relationship with plastic rivets.  They hold well and usually are easy to work with, but sometimes they are a pain to get in or out, and sometimes break.

Sometimes I dare to go outside, but sometimes I don't.
Sometimes I want to ride my bike, but sometimes I won't.
Sometimes I choose to watch TV, but sometimes I can't.
Sometimes I have to mow the lawn, but sometimes I shan't.

I am installing my JDM Astar city lights today- looking forward.
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

Offline DaddyFlip

« Reply #73 on: June 16, 2016, 02:25:12 PM »
I'm posting pics just to prove I made the city lights mod, but these certainly DO NOT do the new lights justice. I would say maxtog's pics don't do justice either. To my eyes, the JDM LED bulbs are very different than the OE bulbs. BTW, those little OE filament bulbs get extremely hot quickly. Anyway, I purchased two pair to be safe; I put my OE bulbs in the supplied zip bag for safekeeping. I also changed out the 5-year old OE headlight bulbs for the Philips +130%ers. After feeling the heat off the city lights, I'm more convinced about making the switch to LED headlight bulbs. In the daylight, I can't tell that the new headlight bulbs are any brighter, but I can see the color difference and they sure are pretty! Have to see what they look like at night.

Pound for pound, dollar for dollar, a very high value upgrade. The JDM Astar Amber LED city lights, that is.

Both OE city lights --- JDM on the right --- Both JDM city lights + New headlights

« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 04:18:05 PM by DaddyFlip »
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #74 on: June 16, 2016, 02:30:40 PM »
Why yellow and not the white ones?

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #75 on: June 16, 2016, 02:45:20 PM »
Prob cuz the yellow ones are way too big.

:P

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #76 on: June 16, 2016, 03:07:34 PM »
Prob cuz the yellow ones are way too big.

:rotflmao:
ISWYDT
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #77 on: June 16, 2016, 03:47:14 PM »
Why yellow and not the white ones?

Because white is a total waste of time.  Seen from a distance, the white lights don't show, they just merge into the headlights.  At least with bright yellow, it offers some contract as running lights.  That tends to increase visibility and conspicuousness, and that improves safety.

Offline DaddyFlip

« Reply #78 on: June 16, 2016, 04:17:29 PM »
Because white is a total waste of time.  Seen from a distance, the white lights don't show, they just merge into the headlights.  At least with bright yellow, it offers some contract as running lights.  That tends to increase visibility and conspicuousness, and that improves safety.

And because I think we covered that several pages back. Would be different if the bike could be run with city lights only.
2001 ZR-7s "Ol' Red"
1995 FXDWG

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #79 on: June 16, 2016, 05:45:58 PM »
City lights small.  Headlights big.  Me like big.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.