Author Topic: Gas Cap Lubrication  (Read 22502 times)

Offline Flat-spot

Re: Gas Cap Lubrication
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2016, 04:27:31 AM »
Speaking of non-ethanol fuel, get the app "Pure Gas" for your smart phone.  It shows you where you can find it. :thumbs:
But yep, still lots of dead areas.  I have to drive 25 miles for my closest source.

EDIT:  Sorry JH, I failed to notice you already mentioned this.  :-[
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 06:22:00 AM by Flat-spot »

Offline Conrad

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2016, 05:56:20 AM »
Prevention is the best medicine here.  If at all possible, do NOT let the bike sit for any significant length of time with Ethanol-laced fuel in it. 

See :

http://www.pure-gas.org/

For sources near you!

Thanks for this! The last time that I checked that site there were no sources of non ethanol gas in my area. Now I see that there is and just 5 miles away at a Farm Service station. 
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline jwh20

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2016, 06:14:34 AM »
Thanks for this! The last time that I checked that site there were no sources of non ethanol gas in my area. Now I see that there is and just 5 miles away at a Farm Service station.

The PureGas site is invaluable and they have an app also.  But not all sources are listed.  Some common places to find E0:

1) Marinas.
2) Airports, especially those that cater to local private plane owners.
3) Farming supply outfits like the Farm Bureau Coops.
4) Home improvement centers.  While pricey many are now selling "TruFuel" and there is an oil-free/ethanol-free version:

http://trufuel50.com/product-info/4-cycle/

I don't think I'd fill up with this stuff due to cost but it's a LOT cheaper than fuel system issues! 

I used to have an annual ritual of figuring out which of my power equipment carbs needed to be rebuilt.  But since I started using E0 fuel from my local Countrymark Coop, I've had no issues at all!  It's about $0.25 more per gallon than E10 PREMIUM but you can buy a LOT of gas for the price of a carb rebuild kit!

Offline seagiant

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2016, 06:44:55 PM »
Hi,
        I throw in some Techron every tank! (or every other!) :finger_fing11:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2016, 11:48:45 PM »
I throw in some Techron every tank! (or every other!) :finger_fing11:

I don't think Techron will help with any issues that revolve around ethanol in gas (such as lost power, wasted money, corrosion, and water attraction).  This is not to say Techron isn't good stuff- I like to run some through all my vehicles once or twice a year.  It is designed to help keep injectors clean and reduce deposits.  But I am also pretty sure it is not worth using dozens of times a year; all modern gas has useful additives for helping to reduce deposits and keep injectors clean (and despite massive marketing efforts, other than octane level, there is nothing "premium" about high octane gas- it doesn't clean better or have more or different additives, and for engines that don't need it, it REDUCES efficiency/power and wastes money).

I am not even sure how much ethanol is to blame for the big issues lots of us have with the gas cap latch mechanism being messed up constantly.  Although I suspect it is a major player.  Personally, I have no way to test it because there is no practical method for obtaining E0 here.  I do keep hoping that will change one day, but I won't hold my breath....
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2016, 03:27:51 AM »
You could just make  your own E0 from E10.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2016, 05:51:01 AM »
And then there's this...

! No longer available
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2016, 06:16:12 AM »
Darwin award 1st runnerup?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2016, 10:03:51 AM »
That and messing around with gasoline..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2016, 10:10:32 AM »
Removing alky is easy. Just add water.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2016, 10:29:52 AM »
And then there's this...

! No longer available

WTF? Gasoline is explosive?  ???

Who knew?    ::)

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2016, 10:52:43 AM »
Naw...you can put a match out in gasoline....if you can get past the vapors.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2016, 03:16:31 PM »
I'm feeling a bout of the vapors coming on..

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2016, 05:55:52 PM »
Probably just a hot flash.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2016, 06:08:04 PM »
I'm feeling a bout of the vapors coming on..

Who's gotta match?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2016, 08:01:22 PM »
Yeesh...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Cuda

« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2016, 08:45:12 PM »
Unfortunately, ethanol-free gas is not available for many people... I would be one of them.  Nothing for many hundreds of square miles, covering millions of people.

Just get your own 500 gal tank

I have road and off road diesel along with real gas out back

Boeshield T 9 is your friend   
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2016, 09:32:07 PM »
[on-topic]
Can anybody report back how the aviation fuel lube works?

[off topic]

Unfortunately, ethanol-free gas is not available for many people... I would be one of them. ...

Any General Aviation airport, ask for 100LL (low lead). Bring your own metal jerry cans (don't ask). If they ask, tell 'em it's for a '49 tractor, as it has lead in it (duh).
With luck, they may also sell MOGAS. Which is automotive 'pump' gas, ~93 octane, lead and ETOH free.

In both cases, it can be expensive, the 100LL more so.

On another front, a company, let's call them "Swift Fuels", is testing a lead free substitute for 100LL. If not aware, most every piston airplane engine requires 100LL (or better), and it's NOT necessarilly because of the lead content. Vapor pressure, stable in storage, atomization, cold weather performance, compatibility with rubber bits and pieces, and a raft of other things. It's scarse as hen's teeth right now though.

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline Conrad

« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2016, 06:23:45 AM »
Ah, good old mogas! I haven't heard that mentioned since my good ole Army days in the motor pool.    :salute:

Offline seagiant

« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2016, 04:18:47 PM »
I don't think Techron will help with any issues that revolve around ethanol in gas (such as lost power, wasted money, corrosion, and water attraction).  This is not to say Techron isn't good stuff- I like to run some through all my vehicles once or twice a year.  It is designed to help keep injectors clean and reduce deposits.  But I am also pretty sure it is not worth using dozens of times a year; all modern gas has useful additives for helping to reduce deposits and keep injectors clean (and despite massive marketing efforts, other than octane level, there is nothing "premium" about high octane gas- it doesn't clean better or have more or different additives, and for engines that don't need it, it REDUCES efficiency/power and wastes money).

I am not even sure how much ethanol is to blame for the big issues lots of us have with the gas cap latch mechanism being messed up constantly.  Although I suspect it is a major player.  Personally, I have no way to test it because there is no practical method for obtaining E0 here.  I do keep hoping that will change one day, but I won't hold my breath....

Hi,
        Well...everyone is welcome to their opinion and free to run their scooter anyway they please.....

You paid for it!

The other thing, I use Techron for, is to "try" to keep the fuel pump filter as clean as I can!

Am I?

I don't know, but we will see, if not, I did what I could!