Author Topic: Gas Cap Lubrication  (Read 22505 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Gas Cap Lubrication
« Reply #60 on: June 09, 2017, 05:03:55 PM »
Just did the gas cap again, but this time I made everything all shiny with the wire wheel on a Dremel.  Hope this lasts longer than six months. 

Lasted about a year for me.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=20069.0
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2017, 07:27:46 AM »
I used graphite Lock Ease on the gas hole lock last year. After drying it created a coating that is still holding up this year, on the lock side anyways.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline wb57

« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2017, 03:36:21 PM »
I basically disassembled it, wire brushed to remove as much corrosion as I could with the Dremel, hit everything with lithium grease and reassembled.  Hit the lock mechanism with a liquid lock lubricant.  Last time around, I used a ScotchBrite on everything and lubed it the same way.  Got a little over six months out of it.  This time, it felt much more smooth when I was done.  We'll see how long it lasts.  For the record, I run non-ethanol fuel probably 80-90% of the time.  Or at least what's labeled as such.
2010 Concours
2015 FJ-09
Turning paychecks into spent fossil fuels.

Offline Tree

• 21 Year Submarine Veteran - GO NAVY!
« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2017, 05:30:50 PM »
Reasons why I don't want the original cap any more:

1. It has an integral failure method.
2. It requires a key.
3. It gets in the way when I fuel the tank.

So, I replaced it.  Slingshot Racing.  Silver and Black were out of stock with a 3-4 month advance.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2017, 09:07:59 PM »
Reasons why I don't want the original cap any more:

1. It has an integral failure method.
2. It requires a key.
3. It gets in the way when I fuel the tank.

Reasons I don't want a replacement removable cap:

1. It doesn't require a key (which prevents tampering and gas theft, the former being more likely and dangerous)
2. It doesn't stay captive (I WANT it hinged so I don't have to figure out where to put it and don't risk scratching the paint)
3. Might not match

But who knows- if I get frustrated enough I might, anyway.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Tree

• 21 Year Submarine Veteran - GO NAVY!
« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2017, 09:47:21 PM »
Reasons I don't want a replacement removable cap:

1. It doesn't require a key (which prevents tampering and gas theft, the former being more likely and dangerous)
2. It doesn't stay captive (I WANT it hinged so I don't have to figure out where to put it and don't risk scratching the paint)
3. Might not match

But who knows- if I get frustrated enough I might, anyway.

All good points.  I just got pissed off enough with the constant need to maintain the damn thing.  The blue is starting to look better and better with each tank fill, sans key and gummy locking mechanism.  The photo doesn't show it very clearly but the removable part does have an o-ring and it fits nicely in my pocket while fueling.  :)

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #66 on: June 11, 2017, 12:22:21 PM »
Digging in my pocket during a fuel stop? No thanks!
Enjoying my keyless fuel cap? Yes indeed!
The grass isn't always greener.