Author Topic: wearing ear plugs  (Read 5395 times)

Offline mellow yellow

wearing ear plugs
« on: May 03, 2017, 07:03:05 AM »
Hello, this question is directed towards the ear plug wearing riders. I  have had bad hearing most of my life, and recently have noticed that I have occasional bouts of tinnitus in my left ear. so I've decided to wear ear plugs. I have these disposable plugs that I've been wearing, but when I pull my helmet over my head, it seems to disrupt their placement. so I'm not sure if I'm getting the full benefit. Is there a procedure on how to insert the plugs? Thanks

Offline Hooligan

• never assume, get the facts
Re: wearing ear plugs
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 07:05:42 AM »
You wearing the rubber or foam disposable ear plugs? I find the foam ones work the best, and does not get disrupted when putting on your helmet.

The rubber ones shifts when putting on the helmet, and tends to hurt your ears after a few miles
It is what it is....If not, it must be something else.
2012 K1600GT
2009 ZX14

Offline mellow yellow

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 07:25:30 AM »
Thanks for responding so quick. I'm wearing the disposable ones that I purchased from a sporting good store.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 09:56:45 AM »
I always wear ear plugs when riding or shooting (not a fan of ear muffs). Overall, I have found most types and brands of plugs are a pain to insert (Easy Boys!), often go a bit too deep and can cause a lot of pain after they finish swelling (a gigantic Easy Boys!), and sometimes do not install quite right so I have to do it again.

The solution to all these problems, at least for me, is Peltor Skull Screws. Of course it looks like a gimmick, and partly it is, but they work very well and are by far the best and easiest plugs to use IMO. They are a soft foam plug but they are not solid, they are a cone- shaped piece that is hollow on the inside. Inside this cone is a rigid (Boys!) piece of plastic that facilitates both insertion and removal. Instead of having to roll and crush the plug, you just push on the plastic stem and the cone shaped outer shell follows and seats immediately. Removal is also easy because the plastic stud sticks out far enough to grab and pull (OK, you kids in the back go out in the hall until this presentation is over!).

The plastic stem is too long to allow me to use them under a helmet so when riding, I carry a small pair of wire cutters, peel back the outer foam layer and circumsi...... ah, snip the plastic stem off just below flush with the outer shell. They still push in as easy but then I remove them by pulling the outer shell.

They are disposable but can actually be used a lot of times.

Seriously, a great product that very, very well, at least for me and my wife.

The only downside is that they are a little more expensive than the more common solid foam plugs, and they have to be bought in bulk rather than five or ten at a time.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Peltor-Skull-Earplugs-120-Pair/dp/B0017X8682

Brian

Hello, this question is directed towards the ear plug wearing riders. I  have had bad hearing most of my life, and recently have noticed that I have occasional bouts of tinnitus in my left ear. so I've decided to wear ear plugs. I have these disposable plugs that I've been wearing, but when I pull my helmet over my head, it seems to disrupt their placement. so I'm not sure if I'm getting the full benefit. Is there a procedure on how to insert the plugs? Thanks
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 02:40:12 PM »
In other words quick rivets for the ears  ;D

I always wear ear plugs when riding or shooting (not a fan of ear muffs). Overall, I have found most types and brands of plugs are a pain to insert (Easy Boys!), often go a bit too deep and can cause a lot of pain after they finish swelling (a gigantic Easy Boys!), and sometimes do not install quite right so I have to do it again.

The solution to all these problems, at least for me, is Peltor Skull Screws. Of course it looks like a gimmick, and partly it is, but they work very well and are by far the best and easiest plugs to use IMO. They are a soft foam plug but they are not solid, they are a cone- shaped piece that is hollow on the inside. Inside this cone is a rigid (Boys!) piece of plastic that facilitates both insertion and removal. Instead of having to roll and crush the plug, you just push on the plastic stem and the cone shaped outer shell follows and seats immediately. Removal is also easy because the plastic stud sticks out far enough to grab and pull (OK, you kids in the back go out in the hall until this presentation is over!).

The plastic stem is too long to allow me to use them under a helmet so when riding, I carry a small pair of wire cutters, peel back the outer foam layer and circumsi...... ah, snip the plastic stem off just below flush with the outer shell. They still push in as easy but then I remove them by pulling the outer shell.

They are disposable but can actually be used a lot of times.

Seriously, a great product that very, very well, at least for me and my wife.

The only downside is that they are a little more expensive than the more common solid foam plugs, and they have to be bought in bulk rather than five or ten at a time.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Peltor-Skull-Earplugs-120-Pair/dp/B0017X8682

Brian
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 03:02:30 PM »
Close enough, yeah. Just wet 'em and stick em' in.

My high freq. hearing is terrible and I also have a substantial amount of mid-range loss. I believe I have tinnitus but with me, it is not a ringing but rather a very steady "hiss" noise, just like white noise or radio static. The really odd thing is that given such substantial hearing loss, any amount of exposure over a couple of minutes now causes me quite a bit of discomfort.... I would have thought being 1/2 deaf would make me twice as impervious but not so.

As it applied to motorcycling, it is illegal in many states to wear ear plugs while riding, including the state I live in. But even wearing a full- face helmet, behind a tall and effective windshield, and riding a relatively very quiet bike, the constant background noise is annoying, distracting, uncomfortable and very unpleasant. So I wear ear plugs whenever riding and will deal with the legality of the issue if and when I have to but in the meantime, it is the only way I can ride with any comfort. And by the way, I find I can hear sounds better after having worn ear plugs for, say, an hour, than I can if I do not- my hearing seems to deteriorate from the constant background noise.

And now for the humor: I worked in an extremely high- noise environment for several years some years ago. Steady- state background noise exceeding 105 Db, actually painful after a short while of exposure. Everyone wore hearing protection, some plugs, some earmuffs, some both. One day I happen to see a co- worker digging pretty rigorously in one ear clearly trying to recover an earplug. Then he reached into his pocket, took out his Swiss army knife, opened the corkscrew attachment and used the end of that to hook the earplug and dig it out.... hysterical to see that. Another time watched the same guy walk into the office (sound proof, low ambient noise level), pull out one ear plug and then seeming to drive the other one IN DEEPER aggressively, while twisting his finger. Then he walked over to a trash can and spat out an earplug saying 'sometimes they are just in too deep to pull them back out'. He was a funny guy a lot of the time.....

Brian

P.S. Short on time so you folks are going to have to put your own 'Easy Boys'! wherever needed in this post.

In other words quick rivets for the ears  ;D
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 03:39:39 PM »
Hello, this question is directed towards the ear plug wearing riders. I  have had bad hearing most of my life, and recently have noticed that I have occasional bouts of tinnitus in my left ear. so I've decided to wear ear plugs.

I always wear either earplugs or earphones (the latter most of the time because I listen to music) when riding the motorcycle.  Also when shooting, vacuuming, doing yard work, or anything that creates a lot of noise.  It is just a good idea.

I have these disposable plugs that I've been wearing, but when I pull my helmet over my head, it seems to disrupt their placement. so I'm not sure if I'm getting the full benefit. Is there a procedure on how to insert the plugs? Thanks

That depends on the exact type of plug.  If they are just the cylindrical foam ones, you are not putting them in your canals deeply enough.  Those are the type that will stay the best, by far.  They also tend to be the most comfortable, most effective, and cheapest too.

For watching movies in theaters or going to concerts, I have various expensive silicone musician's plugs.  Some work quite well... but I think they are overkill for just motorcycle use.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 03:49:23 PM »
As it applied to motorcycling, it is illegal in many states to wear ear plugs while riding, including the state I live in. But even wearing a full- face helmet, behind a tall and effective windshield, and riding a relatively very quiet bike, the constant background noise is annoying, distracting, uncomfortable and very unpleasant. So I wear ear plugs whenever riding and will deal with the legality of the issue if and when I have to but in the meantime, it is the only way I can ride with any comfort. And by the way, I find I can hear sounds better after having worn ear plugs for, say, an hour, than I can if I do not- my hearing seems to deteriorate from the constant background noise.

Yep, another example of stupid laws that make no sense.  Wearing earplugs, a motorcyclist will almost always be able to hear emergency vehicles and horns *better* than without them, because it cuts out the background noise.  And all that while protecting the ears from certain permanent damage.  And also a motorcyclist wearing earplugs will usually have better situational hearing than someone riding in a luxury car with windows up... even before we add in the blasting stereo factor.

I strongly recommend always wearing earplugs or earphones when motorcycling, regardless of the laws.  It is YOUR hearing that will need protecting, and no amount of money will recover it when it is lost.  Hearing damage is cumulative and not usually not noticeable until it is too late.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Bob Skinner

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 05:11:11 PM »
Mellow Yellow
I haven't seen a clear answer to your question yet so here's what I do with the disposable foam ear plugs.
First, roll one plug between your fingers to form the smallest diameter you can Then pull one earlobe down to
straighten out the ear canal and insert the plug. Leave enough of the plug sticking out for removal. Do the same for the other ear.
It took me a while to be able to do this and get a good noise seal. It takes some practice.

My preferred hearing protection is to go to a hearing aid business and ask them to make hearing aid molds to be used as ear plugs for hearing protection. My local shop charges $25.00 for them and they last several years.
Bob Skinner

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 10:16:18 PM »
(Brian will have a field day with this one... )
... so I've decided to wear ear plugs. I have these disposable plugs that I've been wearing, but when I pull my helmet over my head, it seems to disrupt their placement. so I'm not sure if I'm getting the full benefit. Is there a procedure on how to insert the plugs? Thanks

Depends on how you stick 'em in, as well as the size/shape of the plugs.

Mild Tinnitus also, I used corded Howard Leight (by Honeywell, natch) "Max" earplugs. For almost everyone, the key is rolling them real tight before inserting them, inserting them fully, and holding them there until partially/fully expanded.

Once you have that down, investigate the most comfortable pair for you. There are a ton of soft earplugs to be had. Aerostich has a nice sample packet: http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-disposable-earplug-sample-kit.html

As to Officer Friendly (or Captain Dique Head), you can get a drivers license if you're stone deaf. *I* think that stupid law (where applicable) was intended for headset users that listen to Pink Floyd on 11.

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 10:41:55 PM »
As to Officer Friendly (or Captain Dique Head), you can get a drivers license if you're stone deaf.

Yeah, that is probably the best point EVER on the topic.  If you are allowed to drive and be deaf, then wearing earplugs has to be a completely moot point.

Offline mvjr1904

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2017, 01:45:25 AM »
I went to a gun show in Del Mar Ca., and had some custom molded ear plugs made by EarPlugs USA, http://www.earplugsusa.com/
They work great and mine lasted 6 years.  I did not have the string put in and I had them made so that they lay flat in the ear.
They are impossible to fall out while putting on or off my helmet and more importantly they were comfortable.
I have a Scala G9 on my helmet. I can hear music, talk to other riders and use my phone with no issues.

Another option are the Fuse Custom Earphone, http://www.earfuze.com/media.html
Only issue I would have with these are that you make sure you use a quality set of earphones.   

I get no financial gain by mentioning the above vendors. The ones I mentioned are just 2 options. There are many more cheaper and expensive options. You decide.
2011 Silver C14 - Fastest
2002 Silver C10 - Fast
1994 Black FXDWG (because it didn't come in Silver)

Offline O.C.

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2017, 05:09:46 AM »
I like these Alpine plugs...They are comfy and dont interfere with my helmet and still allow me to hear my GPS via Senna SMH 10.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=alpine+music+safe+pro&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=185187826211&hvpos=1t2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3459113449342533185&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046702&hvtargid=kwd-8368335040&ref=pd_sl_q4p2wx0pl_b

I've tried others but TBH these seem to be as good as anything  :)   
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2017, 05:37:42 AM »

Offline mellow yellow

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2017, 05:13:48 PM »
thanks all for the responses. will investigate more into this matter and try your suggestions.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2017, 12:13:01 AM »
(OK, you kids in the back go out in the hall until this presentation is over!).
....watched the same guy walk into the office (sound proof, low ambient noise level), pull out one ear plug and then seeming to drive the other one IN DEEPER aggressively, while twisting his finger. Then he walked over to a trash can and spat out an earplug saying 'sometimes they are just in too deep to pull them back out'. He was a funny guy a lot of the time.....

Brian

P.S. Short on time so you folks are going to have to put your own 'Easy Boys'! wherever needed in this post.

I doubt many here will buy 120 pairs of ear plugs at a time, but I'm really glad you answered Brian.   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :thumbs:

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2017, 03:45:37 AM »
I've been using foam ear plugs for years and they work well for me.  They're cheap when you buy a lot.  Less than $20 for 200 pair.    I give handfuls to my friends when they see the box in the garage.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-1100-Foam-Plugs-200-Pair/dp/B008MVYL7C/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1493976890&sr=8-3&keywords=foam+ear+plugs

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2017, 05:35:44 AM »
I doubt many here will buy 120 pairs of ear plugs at a time

I did.  It was so cheap on Amazon last year to buy a box of 200 that I said "what the hell".   I hand them out to others who might need earplugs (since we are talking a lifetime supply; I reuse each pair at least 4 times, and you can even wash them).

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2017, 10:21:42 AM »
Yeah, no way out of it- a big box of those things is a little bit expensive. Then again, if you wear them all the time when riding, especially if you ride two- up and the passenger wears them too, you can go through an entire box surprisingly fast. I think I am on my third box since finding that particular brand and type of plug back in something like 2009 or so.

And I end up giving a lot of them away, mostly on firing ranges when I act as an RSO.

Brian

I doubt many here will buy 120 pairs of ear plugs at a time, but I'm really glad you answered Brian.   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :thumbs:

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2017, 11:49:10 AM »
I doubt many here will buy 120 pairs of ear plugs at a time.
They're cheap when you buy a lot.  Less than $20 for 200 pair.    I give handfuls to my friends when they see the box in the garage.

I did.  It was so cheap on Amazon last year to buy a box of 200 that I said "what the hell".   I hand them out to others who might need earplugs (since we are talking a lifetime supply;..

Well, I was mostly just trying to give some humor credit to Brian, but still...and maybe I'm wrong because I use noise isolating ear buds for most riding...but what I really meant was that I thought few would spend over $50 for plugs that they had never tried before (and might not work for them) when there are so many others out there for less money and less quantity of minimum purchase. I've been wrong before and I'm sure I'll be wrong again.  ::) :P :-[

I use Shure SE215-K ear buds with Plugfones silicone tips, orange for the left ear and yellow for the right.
These appear to be much cheaper knock offs that might work, I'm fairly certain that for that price they don't have a removable plug at the ear bud like the Shures do but then I haven't needed mine yet.