Author Topic: Garmin Tire Pressure Monitor  (Read 1676 times)

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
Garmin Tire Pressure Monitor
« on: June 03, 2017, 11:46:51 AM »
My OEM front TPS finally died. Not a battery issue. So I decided to try the Garmin unit since my Zumo 390LM supports it. I heard the more expensive 395LM does not, go figure...
Anyway I have a working KAWI TPMS from my 09 to install but no time to get it programmed before our trip to the MSTA national in CO next week so will use the Garmin. If it works well I will order another and be able to use them on my other bikes, once I install metal valve stems in the R3 and KLX.

The instructions were a bit confusing at first since it referred to "labels" but no labels were included. I finally figured out the provide up to 4 labels marked 1,2,3,4 depending how many wheels you have and its up to you to label the units as you install and pair them with the Zumo so the Zumo knows which wheel to report on. Apparently since I only ordered one they put the label on for me.
Anyway the unit paired up with the GPS with no problem and immediately reported the PSI and seems to be fairly accurate.
 In the Zumo app you set the recommended pressure and the low limit for an alert. An alert will pop up on the navigation screen when the low limit is reached. I will report back after a test ride.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Garmin Tire Pressure Monitor
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 12:29:50 PM »
Sounds like a good plan if you already have and use the correct GPS....
At $70 each sensor, they are not super cheap, but compared to the Kawasaki sensors, they are a steal.  Most importantly, you can easily replace the batteries (one CR2).  Biggest complaint are people saying it loses signal/connection regularly; and lots of such complaints.

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Tire-Pressure-Monitor-Sensor/dp/B00BCMUD66
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
Re: Garmin Tire Pressure Monitor
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 05:32:09 PM »
Ten mile test ride results. Both tires at 42 psi cold by my digital gauge. Zumo tire pressure app shows 41.7 front as soon as I tun on the Zumo, bike still off.  Kawi  console comes on at 41 rear after 2 tenths of a mile, climbs to 32 after 1 mile and stays there. Garmin gradually climbs to 44.5 by 5 miles and mostly stays there with a couple of brief jumps to 44.5. I think I recall reading that the Kawi unit is temperature compensated, seems like the Garmin is not. I prefer the way the Garmin works with the extra decimal precision and absence of temperature compensation.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.